Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More living space or more bedrooms?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:42 pm
We've been looking to move for quite a while and are desperate to leave our small 2 bed apartment.
We've recently viewed two apartments.

The first has a small kitchen, too small for a table, it's narrow with cupboards/ workbenches along each side. The lounge/ diner is smaller than we'd ideally like but still big enough to host. There are 4 nice bedrooms, enough for our children to each have their own which is a massive advantage as they're currently sharing and them being on top of each other all the time doesn't make for a calm atmosphere. They would benefit greatly from having their own space. It has 2 bathrooms, neither one amazing but one has a separate bath and shower, the other would just have a toilet, sink and shower.
There is a lovely communal garden and nice views on each side.

The second house has a lovely large kitchen with plenty of room for a table. It also has a spacious lounge/ diner. The disadvantage of this apartment is that it has just 3 bedrooms so 2 children would have to share (likely the 2 youngest, a boy and a girl.) Neither of the children's bedrooms are huge. This apartment has 3 nice bathrooms. One with a bath, one with a shower and the third serves as a laundry room with washer/ dryer, utility sink as well as toilet. There is a large communal garden and a small private garden.

We currently have just one bathroom so either of the above solutions would be a big improvement on that!

Each apartment has other pros and cons but they balance each other out, so it really comes down to a choice between more living space or more bedrooms.

It would be really useful to have some input!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:45 pm
More living space!

More bathrooms!

What a winner.

I find my kids hang in their bedrooms at about age 15 and up

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:45 pm
Buying?

Which one has more potential?

Go with that

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:50 pm
I'd definitely go with more living space.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 4:52 pm
The second sounds way better

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:02 pm
I agree, more living space.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:09 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
Buying?

Which one has more potential?

Go with that

Yes, buying.

What do you mean by more potential? The first one has more potential for improvement because it is in it's original state so will need completely re-furbishing. The second is currently being lived so potentially needs less work but we'd probably re-do everything anyway.

Really interesting that everyone so far would go for the more living space because I think I'm leaning more towards the extra bedroom! Kids are 10 (girl), 7 (boy) and 6 (girl) and they could all use their own space, especially when the youngest starts first grade in September and I'm thinking that as they get older that's going to be even more important.

The second house I described was actually the first one of the two we saw so I've had more time to mull over what I'd do with it. Most of the apartments we've seen have been 3 bed but with the large living space of this one I was thinking that would help give the 2 children who would share a room a bit of space from the other. In this house, I also like the idea of the kids being able to work at the kitchen table while I prepare supper. On the other hand, I was wondering if I was giving too much importance to living space because I'm influenced by the fact our current living space is so small so I'm focussing too much on solving THAT problem.

I think I was leaning towards the extra room because I realise what a huge advantage it would be for the children, especially as they grow, and the apartment is very different from others we've seen so it was more interesting.

mommyhood

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:25 pm
I would go for more bedrooms. Putting a boy and girl together is a very short term solution.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:25 pm
Go with the larger living space. My kids share even though I have an extra bedroom.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:28 pm
We had huge bedrooms but tiny living space and we were all miserable. We moved to bigger living space smaller bedrooms and everyone was happier. Other than teens no one likes to be stuck in bedrooms all day, you need more living space.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:46 pm
I also think 2nd is better option. I was in a situation not too long ago similar to yours but slightly different. I chose one less bedroom. My kitchen in nice and large, my dining area is not big but comfortable. The only one who like to hang out in the bedroom is my teenager.

amother
IndianRed

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:49 pm
More bedrooms.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:50 pm
In regards to sharing.
The 10 and 6 year old is probably a better option to put together. Especially if this is a long term apartment. Unless personalities don't work well together, the age gap is not a big deal.

amother
Melon

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 5:52 pm
We recently moved and have 5 bedrooms. But my two girls age 10 &5 prefer to share a room. We are anyway mostly in the kitchen/ family room and Bh those have lots of space and we really enjoy it.

Optione

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:25 pm
I'd go worth the second option and have the 2 girls share a room.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:26 pm
Second option!

pause

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:33 pm
Having two sisters share a room is pretty common. I would definitely choose the second option.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:35 pm
Op, everyone is different and you need to go after your own heart. Maybe bring your kids to both and see how the spaces feel with them in it.

For me I'd go with team more living space. There is really no problem with two kids sharing a room. If the choice was two bedroom to three I might say differently, but with three bedrooms and three kids I think you're perfect.

(Pardon my unsolicited advice, but I recommend putting your girls together right away. Those two ages work well together)

nicole81

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:56 pm
Definitely the second. Kids can share; it helps them develop important skills. I shared a room my whole childhood so I don't bat an eye here. I also don't think that's a huge gap with your girls. They can definitely share. Right now I have a 16 year old sharing with a 12 year old and 6 year old. They've managed and the oldest spends a lot of time in the other living space (living room, basement). We recently worked out a new arrangement and the younger girls are so excited to room together and decorate. Yes even with a six year gap.

If you're buying, the one with more living space will also have more upside.

What's the basement like in both houses? Depending on the situation, you can eventually put a teen down there in their own room.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 7:06 pm
Living space is more important. Hands down. Bedrooms can be shared. You can get loft beds with desks or other configurations to give each child their own space within the bedroom.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating