Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Really overweight- where to start
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:11 pm
I'm incredibly obese and don't even know where to start with exercising.
I can walk, but my back and legs start hurting quickly and I'm out of breath.
what's something easier to start with? pool exercise class? yoga?
bonus points if my 16 yr old can join me/ will find it interesting
help!!!!!!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:18 pm
OP I'm coming from being obese. May I suggest that you start by dieting. Once you will lose some weight the exercising will be so much easier for you.
I lost over 80 pounds and it's been a real life changer for me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:22 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
OP I'm coming from being obese. May I suggest that you start by dieting. Once you will lose some weight the exercising will be so much easier for you.

Could I ask how you did it? I need to loose a little more than that.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:39 pm
I started my diet a few months ago with 85 to lose I'm down 25 already. The more you lose the easier it gets.
A tip my dietician gave me was to walk the same direction every day (I started at 10 minutes now at 20) so you actually see as time goes by that you can walk farther in the same amount of time! It really helps to feel that something is changing.
I tried Pilates it was really slow and great might work for you too. (Even though I was sore for days after each class) Doesn't help much with weight loss but at least I felt like I was exercising

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
help!!!!!!

So start small but consistently. And add, consistently. Hatzlacha!

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:43 pm
I recommend a rowing machine. It will be very difficult, but a little goes a long way, and you can work your way up slowly.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:43 pm
Dieting before exercising can damage your metabolism and reduce the benefits of exercise.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:44 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:
Dieting before exercising can damage your metabolism and reduce the benefits of exercise.

What about starting to make some changes?

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:46 pm
My dd and I lost a lot of weight on the keto diet. We used the Carb Manager app. We have fun trying new keto recipes. You can make some really delicious low-carb foods.

STovah

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:48 pm
You can try starting with Leslie Sansone’s walking videos. They are not very strenuous and are easy to follow. Start with a shorter walk and build up. Over time your body will be able to handle more.

STovah

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:51 pm
I would stay away from yoga unless the class is geared toward all body types. There will be too many moves you won’t be able to do.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:52 pm
perfect time for swimming and any pool exercises are great.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:52 pm
Yoga and stretching, when done properly, will help support overall health and other forms of fitness.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:55 pm
[quote="amother [ Burlywood ]"]Could I ask how you did it? I need to loose a little more than that.[/quote

I started the Fast metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 3:59 pm
Eat less calories. Only three times a day as much as two fists. You might be a little hungry in between so eat vegetables when you're craving something. Only drink water, no other drinks (unless you're making a smoothie). You need to get to the point where you're full for now but could eat in another three hours. Before you eat ask yourself if you really need it or if you're just bored or sad.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
help!!!!!!

I am in the same boat. Have been morbidly obese on and off for the last couple decades - even when I wasn't obese, it was jut barely.

Exercise, unless done at extreme levels, really doesn't help lose weight. Do it anyway though. It has such tremendous benefits for your physical and mental health. Even if you can only walk 5 minutes, so walk 5 minutes. A couple days later walk 6 minutes. Soon it will be 10 and 15 and more.

But losing weight is only happening when you have enough deficit in calories.... burning a lot more than you're eating. The best diet is the one you can stick to. If you need help figuring out what to eat a nutritionist is great. If you're like me and already know how to eat healthy but end up doing massive emotional eating binges, that's harder.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:26 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

I agree. I highly suggest keto type diet. I lost close to 70 lbs., the best part is if you eliminate bread, pasta, etc., and focus on proteins, veggies and healthy fats, your hunger and cravings will be gone. It’s the only diet I was successful on.

This is a good, slow exercise video that you can do while sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA55eMyB8S0

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:27 pm
amother [ Magnolia ] wrote:

Not true at all.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:40 pm
If you live somewhere that gets hot, a treadmill may be a good investment. Plus, you can watch or listen to things to help pass the time.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 4:43 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
Not true at all.

It is true of dieting in general, not specific to exercise. But dieting in conjunction with exercise denies your body the nutrients it needs to heal.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise