Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Moving and no school
  Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next

English3

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:03 am
DrMom wrote:
OP, could your 8 year old get bused out of town for school for the upcoming school year and then reapply to a school in Lakewood for the 2023-2024 academic year?

Girls that are eight are placed in school a few years ago, now the school either has place or not. The classes dont grow once its been opened.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:46 am
English3 wrote:
Girls that are eight are placed in school a few years ago, now the school either has place or not. The classes dont grow once its been opened.

Yes, but others have implied that OP should have searched for a school earlier in the year, so I assume if she does that next year, she is more likely to find something than if she looks in June.

Also, I know new schools open sometimes. OP can't be the first person to move to Lakewood with a child older than 5.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 5:37 am
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
laugh all you want but not one of you took the time to answer how Lakewood is allowing their own kids including those belonging to bmg to go without schools? Forget me at the end of the day I have a good school in Brooklyn.If everything is so fine and dandy why did R' Matisyahu Salomon involve himself and not allow schools to open until everyone was placed

We've had threads about this very point. It's a huge problem and new schools are costantly opening but they cant keep up with the demand. But this thread is about people from Brooklyn who think they should magically get spots in our schools that don't have enough spots for kids who are already living here.

At the same time we don't get to tell anyone else where to donate their own money. That's between them and Hashem.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:04 am
DrMom wrote:
Yes, but others have implied that OP should have searched for a school earlier in the year, so I assume if she does that next year, she is more likely to find something than if she looks in June.

Also, I know new schools open sometimes. OP can't be the first person to move to Lakewood with a child older than 5.

They open with a primary and maybe Kindergaeten not with a fifth grade

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:04 am
The comment about BMG operating completely altruistically for the sake of the yungerleit was quite naive..

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:00 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
The comment about BMG operating completely altruistically for the sake of the yungerleit was quite naive..

Oh really. Rav Aharon kotler Shlepped to Lakewood for ulterior motives.
Any real Lakewood originals here?
This is probably the worst kefirah I’ve seen on this site yet.
You obviously have an issue with Kollel, but do not say anything about the original intentions of rav Aharon or Lakewood as it’s complete hotzaas sheim ra and I have to stand up for kavod hatorah.

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:07 am
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
You obviously have an issue with Kollel, but do not say anything about the original intentions of rav Aharon or Lakewood as it’s complete hotzaas sheim ra and I have to stand up for kavod hatorah.

She's not talking about Rav Ahron ztzl.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:22 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
She's not talking about Rav Ahron ztzl.

exactly!! as a matter of fact my grandfather was part of the first families who moved to lakewood. He came from Israel and cooked for the yeshiva while learning . His sons who weren't bar mitzvah yet age 9 and 11 were traveling (daily or maybe weekly to yeshivas in the East Side . but I believe for the young girls there was only co ed at the time. From what I understand Rav Ahron Ztzl encouraged my grandparents to move to Boro Park out of Lakewood so they can send the children to proper Bais Yaakov and Yeshivos. Proper Chinuch was obviously important to him

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:04 am
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
exactly!! as a matter of fact my grandfather was part of the first families who moved to lakewood. He came from Israel and cooked for the yeshiva while learning . His sons who weren't bar mitzvah yet age 9 and 11 were traveling (daily or maybe weekly to yeshivas in the East Side . but I believe for the young girls there was only co ed at the time. From what I understand Rav Ahron Ztzl encouraged my grandparents to move to Boro Park out of Lakewood so they can send the children to proper Bais Yaakov and Yeshivos. Proper Chinuch was obviously important to him
Yes at that time there was only a co-Ed school in Lakewood so some people sent there and some people lived in Brooklyn and commuted. And the commute in those days was a lot harder than it is today.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:08 am
I hate these kinds of comments. Is your family originally from Lakewood? Because mine is. As in my great grandparents were heavily involved in helping BMG get off the ground and my grandparents lived here when Rav Aharon was rosh yeshiva. They don’t talk like you do. They understand Lakewood now is a totally different place then it was back then and BMG is as well.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:11 am
This gets sicker by the minute.
Do you think rav Malkie kotler is hoarding the money in his “mansion” how about rav Yerucham Olshin, he’s using it to buy his wife a mink coat?
Every penny is used for the Yungeleit.

This is false. The roshei yeshiva are paid very well. As they should be.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:23 am
This gets sicker by the minute.
Do you think rav Malkie kotler is hoarding the money in his “mansion” how about rav Yerucham Olshin, he’s using it to buy his wife a mink coat?
Every penny is used for the Yungeleit.
How dare you question the finaces of these gedolim who give their entire life to klal Yisroel.
Lakewood was started with sweat and tears by rav Aharon- for the yungeleit. For Bnei Torah. For the KOLLEL.
It’s a free country, but the entire infrastructure of the basics of Lakewood- was through the mesiras nefesh to make BMG a makom Torah.
Now you come in- and say the askanim- like Sheiner, who want to support these yungeleit- derech kavod, with a raise for the Kollel stipend are not allowed to do that.
The money should go to YOUR child instead for a school because you MUST live in the city that they built when it was literally a midbar.
This actually sounds like chelm

Are you new to Lakewood?

Of course the RY aren’t like that. But BMG, as a corporation (which it is) has money. Lots of it.

I don’t think that the RY are involved or benefit from the financial success of the corporation. But I do know that when my dh was learning in BMG a few years ago, his monthly check was $167.40.
So yes, I question where the money that BMG has is going.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:27 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Are you new to Lakewood?

Of course the RY aren’t like that. But BMG, as a corporation (which it is) has money. Lots of it.

I don’t think that the RY are involved or benefit from the financial success of the corporation. But I do know that when my dh was learning in BMG a few years ago, his monthly check was $167.40.
They raised the monthly rate to $1k. But the money is coming from private donors and not BMG.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:32 am
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
I hate these kinds of comments. Is your family originally from Lakewood? Because mine is. As in my great grandparents were heavily involved in helping BMG get off the ground and my grandparents lived here when Rav Aharon was rosh yeshiva. They don’t talk like you do. They understand Lakewood now is a totally different place then it was back then and BMG is as well.

Our relatives are almost 80 and still sitting and learning in bmg. They have only the utmost respect the yeshiva and RY.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 8:38 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Are you new to Lakewood?

The budget for checks now that it's at 1k per month is 57 million. I'm not sure what it was previously but the budget for checks + upkeep of grounds and buildings must've been MASSIVE even before the raise. Also, 167.40 biweekly; not monthly.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:27 am
I am going off on a tangent, but I will never understand how people who have the capability to stay in Brooklyn and keep their girls in a school aligned with their hashkafa will opt for the glory of the suburbs.
They will put endless thought and time and money into finding the perfect house, but let a chaotic
situation "choose" a school for their child.

It seems that a beautiful house or keeping up with the current trend is more important than chinuch.

Again, this is not meant for the OP or those who it is not meant for...

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:31 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
I am going off on a tangent, but I will never understand how people who have the capability to stay in Brooklyn and keep their girls in a school aligned with their hashkafa will opt for the glory of the suburbs.
They will put endless thought and time and money into finding the perfect house, but let a chaotic

It seems that a beautiful house or keeping up with the current trend is more important than chinuch.

I am not downplaying the importance of chinuch but you obviously have never lived with three kids in a basement apartment paying $2000 a month.

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:37 am

Most people don't have the "capability to stay in Brooklyn." Do you realize that many of them are living in tiny apartments with no windows because they are attached on both sides? And no front yards or back yards or porches? And they're paying top dollar to rent these apts.

If you cannot understand why people don't stay in Brooklyn, then you obviously have no clue what it's like to live in Brooklyn.

I'm not saying it makes sense for everyone to move to Lkwd. But its a big problem that Bklyn is not livable. Be grateful that you are not in that position.

Most families are not moving for big beautiful houses. They just wantba small house with a yard that they can call their own.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:39 am
amother [ Maize ] wrote:
Most people don't have the "capability to stay in Brooklyn." Do you realize that many of them are living in tiny apartments with no windows because they are attached on both sides? And no front yards or back yards or porches? And they're paying top dollar to rent these apts.

If you cannot understand why people don't stay in Brooklyn, then you obviously have no clue what it's like to live in Brooklyn.

I'm not saying it makes sense for everyone to move to Lkwd. But its a big problem that Bklyn is not livable. Be grateful that you are not in that position.

Most families are not moving for big beautiful houses. They just wantba small house with a yard that they can call their own.

Very well said.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 9:40 am

Have you seen the way people live in boro park lately? Do you know what it's like living with 7 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment with carriages in your dining room. Everytime you try to walk out of your apartment you have to move 15 bikes to the side With roaches all over the place??
I can't say if this is true or false but I have been told that Bais Yaakov wanted to open up but the "Lakewood Powers" shut it down....
Page 11 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children