Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toilet Training FTM

Oldest

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:04 pm
I think I am ready to toilet train my oldest! I am so nervous- please share all tips!!!

I plan on doing it over a weekend. Do I need to stay inside with him the whole day? He is very much an outdoorsy kid and it will be really hard to keep him inside all day. Also, I know you are supposed to keep the kids bare bottomed throughout the training- how does that play out when/if we go outside during those initial days?

Please help me!! I am stressing over this- even though I am pretty positive that he is ready (he shows a big interest in going to the bathroom, he sits himself on the toilet in his diaper all the time, but at the same he really couldn't care less if he sat in a wet/dirty diaper for a period of time)

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:09 pm
How old is he? It’s best to start once the child shows discomfort at being dirty and interest in using the toilet. Sadly for me, I didn’t know better, started at 2 it was off and on and off and on until we finally finished at 3.5….

Oldest

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:11 pm
He will be three in about a month. He is definitely very interested in using the toilet. As far as his diapers, sometimes he'll come to me right away to change him and other times its a fight to get him to let me change him

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 4:00 pm
If you feel he’s ready then go for it
You only really keep him bare bottomed for a day maybe a day and a half. It helps with recognizing the feeling. This is what worked for my son. Set a timer for every 20-30 min to go potty. Make sure he drinks a lot so he has to go often. Expect accidents and reward every success. Once they start getting the hang of it you can do longer periods of time. For my son once he started doing the potty dance instead of asking all the time if he needs potty I would tell him that’s your body saying you need the bathroom let’s go sit. Now he tells me for the most part when he neddds to go. Poo is a diff story that we are still working on. Good luck!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 4:04 pm
Is he embaressed to make no 2?
Does he go out the room to make?
Does he sit on the toilet without a diaper on?

Personally, I really feel the longer you wait the better.

Having said that my 2.5 year old is super aware and I would expect him to fet it in a few days, but my older child had to wait till over 3. He was totally not ready even way over 2.5

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 2:01 am
Okay, a few things that I learned which you might want to take into consideration before starting.
Only start if you have a whole lot of time to dedicate to it. I would be really surprised unless a kid is over-over ready that it would be sorted and done over a weekend. I would more use a week of time where the kid is home from school/gan/playgroup/whatever anyway, so that you have a full week. Two days may not get you very far, and then what will you do? Put him back in a diaper and then start all over again later? It would be confusing and might knock his confidence, which leads me to point two...

If you try and he's not ready, and then you say, okay, we're not doing this now we'll try later, doing that one or more times, each time it may well affect his confidence and make the overall experience more difficult and complicated than it needs to be, so it's a great idea to wait until they really really really are very ready for it.

In summary, wait until he's super ready, dedicate a whole bunch of indoor time for it (like a solid week of this is what we're doing, get some good toys in, and really focus on it) and don't stop-start stop-start with it because that can prolong the whole thing and make it confusing and unpleasant for them, and you.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:54 am
My DS is 22 mos I want to try to toilet train him this summer when we both have vacation
because I won't have time during the year. How stupid would it be?
I have a whole month for him to make accidents, will that be enough?
How do I know if he's ready? He comes to tell me after he makes #2.

Oldest

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:16 am
Thank you for all taking the time to respond. My son has been expressing some anxiety about being trained so I think I'm gonna hold off for now. We keep talking about it and hopefully soon he'll be super ready!

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:55 am
Stoneblue, wait until 2.4! I train all my kids young. My baby was trained at 2.2 but he had a couple more accidents than my others. I suggest waiting a couple more months. He is now 2.4 and doing wonderfully. Also, giving too many drinks can cause more accidents because it becomes an emergency! This I only learned while toilet training child number 7, when I needed to get rid of the bottle.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 12:09 pm
Oldest, you can try training 3 hours a day for 2 -3 days.

OP, you said he is almost 3, he sounds like he is ready, just anxious! Offer lots of positive reinforcement. A jelly bean, chocolate chip, every time he uses the bathroom. Sing a song and tell him that you are so proud of him. But I believe part of training is saying when he needs the bathroom, pulling down pants and underwear independently, picking up toilet seat using bathroom, knowing when he needs to sit and when he needs to stand, flushing, pulling up underwear and pants. Washing hands.
Are you up for this?? It took a week for my last who was only 2.2,. It took 2-3 days for some of my kids who were closer to 2.6

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:20 pm
Just keep in mind every kid is different some kids catch on really quick and some even if ready and older take longer

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 6:05 pm
How do I train my very short, chubby 2.5 yr old?
He can sit on the toilet if I put him on but I dont know how hel manage to go on and off himself.
Dont really want a stool in the bathroom all day..

Also if anyone has had this issuesof being small down there and his 'p.nis'not being as out as it should be, does it interfere with toilet training?

Thank you so much.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
He can sit on the toilet if I put him on but I dont know how hel manage to go on and off himself.

Also if anyone has had this issuesof being small down there and his 'p.nis'not being as out as it should be, does it interfere with toilet training?

Thank you so much.

What do you mean you don't want a stool in the bathroom all day? Isn't that just the reality of little kids, you give them a stool to reach the sink and toilet? You should be able to teach him to store it in the cabinet or something when he's done if it makes you feel better.

Oldest

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

Thank you so much.

I have a tiny bathroom so I found this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gre.....71071 It folds really small and I slip it between the toilet and the wall when not needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics