Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you allow tv shows/ movies for children
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:00 pm
If you allow your children to watch, how do you plan to handle the insertion of propoganda/ aka politics into these young childrens programs?

Are you going to allow them to still watch pbs? Disney movies? Etc

I always allowed anything in pbs programming and many movies that are now questionable.

I feel like this will make me decide no tv pretty much except if a new source of programming is reliable.

I know a lot will go over their heads but it still seeps in imo.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you allow your children to watch, how do you plan to handle the insertion of propoganda/ aka politics into these young childrens programs?

I always allowed anything in pbs programming and many movies that are now questionable.

I feel like this will make me decide no tv pretty much except if a new source of programming is reliable.

I'm ok with regular light romance. The prince kissing the princess or whatever.
I am not ok, and I will be screening for, any gay/lsbian romance as well as transgender ideas.
That about covers it I think

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:06 pm
amother [ Currant ] wrote:
I'm ok with regular light romance. The prince kissing the princess or whatever.
I am not ok, and I will be screening for, any gay/lsbian romance as well as transgender ideas.
That about covers it I think

That sounds very time consuming. And you cant really screen tv, just movies wont be as difficult because of all the religous screening movie sites.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:07 pm
You can always stick to older stuff.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:08 pm
Absolutely not. They watch old curious George episodes and we have a toveedo subscription

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We cancelled our Disney+ subscription. My older kids know very clearly what they are and are not allowed to watch. With my younger ones, I’m very careful with what they watch.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:12 pm
What is problematic on the pbs app? I should prob be screening better. I alsways felt like pbs was tame

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:13 pm
Stick with the older stuff. Do not trust anything new. Try to pre-screen, or at least read reviews. Since most media thinks putting gay and trans stuff in children's programming is sooooo wonderful and amazing, you can be sure when it's showing up in something, it will be mentioned in the reviews. That's how I found out NOT to take my kids to see Lightyear.

BTW, unfortunately you have to be careful about books now too, for the same reason. Don't assume any book in the kids section is automatically ok. This has nothing to do with screens, it's insidious and it's everywhere.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:15 pm
Yes I used to be extremely easygoing about letting them watch on YouTube kids app and Netflix and Disney plus. Not anymore. It’s only toveedo now.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:18 pm
I don’t mind cartoons kissing. And if she’s encountered any gay or lesbian cartoons so far she hasn’t mentioned it to me

( not sure what you mean by propaganda or politics)

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:18 pm
The only secular shows we allow are cocomelon, curious George, strawberry shortcake.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:20 pm
Have any of you tried the new Daily wire kids programming?

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:20 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
Stick with the older stuff. Do not trust anything new. Try to pre-screen, or at least read reviews. Since most media thinks putting gay and trans stuff in children's programming is sooooo wonderful and amazing, you can be sure when it's showing up in something, it will be mentioned in the reviews. That's how I found out NOT to take my kids to see Lightyear.

BTW, unfortunately you have to be careful about books now too, for the same reason. Don't assume any book in the kids section is automatically ok. This has nothing to do with screens, it's insidious and it's everywhere.

Lightyear was a big flop, so I'm betting Disney tones it down for their next big animated feature film. Evidently it came as a surprise that it performed so below box office expectation.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:21 pm
My kids watch cooking/baking shows, curious George and Clifford and my little pony. I have watched it with them, no issues. They actually like rewatching. If they want something new, I will screen it. All on YouTube with ad block. I don't like the old Disney, not about to show the new.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That sounds very time consuming. And you cant really screen tv, just movies wont be as difficult because of all the religous screening movie sites.

It is what it is. If its too difficult to screen the tv shows then they wont watch.
Im compeltely ok with regular romance as long as its decent and not racy.
But Toaivah is simply not going to be watched in my house.

My children are well aware-a few years ago there was an Arthur episode released when the teacher Mr Ratburn married his boyfriend.
I straight out explained to my children (they were then about aged 6 through 10) that this is one of the Averiahs that Hashem brought the mabul for, and the Torah says its very bad. And we dont watch movies or read books that make a bad Aveirah into something ok, just like we would never watch a video that ok'd stealing or killing people.
As disappointed as they were not to watch it, they completely understood, and having them in on what we are facing has made it much easier for me to screen. My older ones will tell me if they think a book or movie has something questionable.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:53 pm
hodeez wrote:
Absolutely not. They watch old curious George episodes and we have a toveedo subscription

What will happen when they get older?

ETA not judging, it’s just this is what’s holding me back from letting them watch anything at all.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:58 pm
We have Disney+ pbs kids and Netflix kids and haven’t had a problem.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
We have Disney+ pbs kids and Netflix kids and haven’t had a problem.

The problem we are expecting is only just beginning. If you follow the news, there has been leaked audio from Disney meetings where they said their mission is to purposely insert LGBTQ messaging into their child-oriented media. Trans characters, gay partners etc
This is a very new thing. Last year I wasnt even concerned

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:11 pm
You are smart op
Uch Chuck it all only toveedo

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:19 pm
Anyone know if YouTube kids app is ok?

My kids watch paw patrol, blippi, curious George….seems ok Confused
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics