Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
No toys (almost) what do kids do-update pg 6
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:20 pm
I would like to put most of my 6 year old daughter's toys away for the summer.

If you run a home on very few or no toys, what are things your kids do? What does a toy free day look like?

ETA: looking for ideas to keep her occupied without excess toys

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:22 pm
Why do you want to do that?

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:25 pm
Why davka now when she's on vacation? Dont know
The way to do it is to keep out two or three toys and to switch them around every few days so that she always has something fresh to play with.

English3

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:28 pm
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:

In 2022 its different. Social media is our influences.
Op if you like get cardboard boxes with markers and let her enjoy.
I am not sure why you are putting yourself through torture to see how creative your kid can get but each to his own.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:29 pm

Mommy doesn't have the time and energy to clean it up and she doesn't want to clean up.

I had help but the help left for the summer.

shp41

I agree with amother Azalea. Rotating toys works well, sometimes during vacation or over yom tov we even exchange toys with a friend so both families try something new.

amother
Starflower

English3 wrote:
In 2022 its different. Social media is our influences.

What do you mean?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:30 pm
My kids play outside a ton in the summer. Its so healthy for them to be out in the fresh air. They play with toys too but I encourage outside time more.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mommy doesn't have the time and energy to clean it up and she doesn't want to clean up.

If you're not cleaning up toys you'll be cleaning up something else, whatever it is she finds to occupy herself. Unless the solution is to spent most time outdoors.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:31 pm
Send her outside with chalk , bubbles, sprinkler, jump rope, ball, hopscotch

English3

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:32 pm
What do you mean?

Well I can imagine an influencer telling people how amazing and creative kids can get when there is no toys.
There house always stays clean and there kids play with sticks and stones.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:32 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
The way to do it is to keep out two or three toys and to switch them around every few days so that she always has something fresh to play with.

This also helps with the cleanup issue. She can't take out too many at a time this way.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:33 pm
What are "toys"?

Are there art supplies? Or at least paper and markers? Books to read? Outdoor toys (balls, bikes, jumpropes)?

Are you planning on doing lots of activities with her? Going to playgrounds or the library, letting her cook with you, teaching her how to sew or other skills...

My kids have chores in the summertime that take more time than during the school year. So folding laundry, washing dishes, helping me organize or clean or something...My older kids view it as a chore, but my younger ones usually think it's fun. At least the first few times.

I have a daughter around that age. She can keep herself occupied, especially with a sibling or a friend, if they have random objects to "pretend" with. She'll write letters or draw pictures to send to relatives or friends. She'll play outside, or even just take walks with me or a sibling (sometimes nature walks, bringing along a bag to collect dandelions, pinecones, leaves, etc.) Practice doing gymnastics (she doesn't take lessons and isn't particularly good at it, but attempts at cartwheels and running somersaults are fun). She also loves doing things with me, but I don't always have the time to spend all day long doing things with her, since I have other kids and other responsibilities. But if you're around all day and able to hang out with her for most of it, there are lots of fun activities you can do with her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:34 pm
If you're not cleaning up toys you'll be cleaning up something else, whatever it is she finds to occuHr nopy herself. Unless the solution is to spent most time outdoors.

Crafts I have a good system. I keep most of the crafts and give her one thing at a time.

Toys goes like this. She plays with Playmobil, dollhouse stuff, mentchie and magna tiles all at once. Plus she has her dolls out to boot. The toys layer over each other.

Playing outside is definitely good. Sometimes she swims at a neighbors pool.

English3

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:34 pm
Get a lock on your toy cupboard and train your child to pick up after playing in order to get another toy.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Mommies don’t always have a choice. Our kids well being comes first...

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:39 pm
Yes, if you're trying to make your life easier, getting rid of her toys is not the way to do it.

Teaching her how to clean up after herself is. It will be hard the first few days, and you'll need to constantly be on top of her. Once she gets into the habit, it's fine.

Think about what you'd be ok with her doing. Do you want her to take out only one type of toy at a time, put it away, and then take out another one? Then put your foot down and tell her that. Would you be ok with her taking out all of her toys and putting them away before dinnertime? Then make that the rule. You shouldn't be cleaning up her toys.

You can also tell her that you're trying out something new. If she can have all of the toys cleaned up by dinnertime today, with no kvetching, then she can take out as many toys as she wants tomorrow, since you know she'll clean them up. Otherwise, she'll need to take out only one type of toy at a time tomorrow. It's logical.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Crafts I have a good system. I keep most of the crafts and give her one thing at a time.

Toys goes like this. She plays with Playmobil, dollhouse stuff, mentchie and magna tiles all at once. Plus she has her dolls out to boot. The toys layer over each other.

Playing outside is definitely good. Sometimes she swims at a neighbors pool.

Do the same with those toys keep them and give her one at a time. She’ll handle that change better than no toys at all.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

When you take away kids toys, they will do what kids did in generations before when nobody really had many, if any, toys. They'll be creative. Use their minds. Which is wonderful. But just be warned. I did this with my kids and often the clean-up of their creative juices far outweighed the clean up of a few toy bins.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 5:59 pm
All the advice about teaching her to clean up after herself is great. When I'm ready to do that.

I'm the meantime I would like some more non toy occupying ideas. Thanks
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics