Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Help me write this email to Uber so that they will listen
1  2  Next

Jubilant

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 8:48 pm
DS was in an Uber today, and he called me frantically when he finished the ride.

He is very mature, and not dramatic, so I knew I need to take this incident seriously.

Throughout the ride the Muslim driver was speaking to him about Islam, and how Islam is the right religion bla bla bla......

DS listened to him, but obviously didn't take anything he said seriously and just waited for the ride to be over. (He was thinking to himself that the driver is trying to do "kiruv" to Islam...)

DS got very scared when the driver started speaking to him about the Jews in a very belittling way.

DS felt very uncomfortable about it, and kind of got scared when the driver continued shaming the Jews to him.

DS wanted to open the door and leave the car but he was on a high way.

How do I write this out in an email to Uber so that they will take this incident seriously?

DS felt very unsafe!!

(To all of you that are about to comment how Uber is not safe- I know that, but that is not the point of my question)

Sorry about my broken English- it's my third language.....

Writers- can you please help? I'm so not good at these things......

Jubilant

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:12 pm
Bump

Anyone?

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:14 pm
OMG that is so scary. I’m glad your DS is safe!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:15 pm
Someone I know had a similar experience with a Muslim Uber driver.
What you wrote was clear. Just condense it a bit.

ellacoe

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:21 pm
If you give a low rating they may contact you and ask why, or there may be room when leaving the rating to explain why.

Living Princess

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:24 pm
Did you give him a 1 star rating? Aren't you able to also leave a comment when you rate? This is the most effective to get the message across. You can message Uber and hopefully you'll get a response...

Living Princess

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:26 pm
ellacoe wrote:
If you give a low rating they may contact you and ask why, or there may be room when leaving the rating to explain why.

I see we cross posted nearly the same thing...

gamanit

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:27 pm
My (age) son rode in an Uber vehicle today with a driver by the name of XYX who drives a vehicle make and model with the license plate XYZ123. My son is visibly Jewish as he wears a kippah on his head. During this trip the driver noted my son's religion and was discussing his own religion, Islam, with my minor son. This started out fairly normal and non-threatening. As the ride progressed, however, the driver switched gears and began belittling Jews and Judaism. At this point my son felt unsafe in this vehicle. The drivers tone of voice and body language frightened him. He would have jumped out of the vehicle then and there had they not been on a highway at that point in time. When he arrived at his destination he immediately called me in a panic.

This was not okay. First of all, it is inappropriate to discuss religion with a minor child without the parents present. Second of all, to speak negatively about a group which a rider is clearly a member of is extremely disrespectful. My son and I are concerned that this driver may repeat this behavior with other riders. Please take the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:35 pm
gamanit wrote:
My (age) son rode in an Uber vehicle today with a driver by the name of XYX who drives a vehicle make and model with the license plate XYZ123. My son is visibly Jewish as he wears a kippah on his head. During this trip the driver noted my son's religion and was discussing his own religion, Islam, with my minor son. This started out fairly normal and non-threatening. As the ride progressed, however, the driver switched gears and began belittling Jews and Judaism. At this point my son felt unsafe in this vehicle. The drivers tone of voice and body language frightened him. He would have jumped out of the vehicle then and there had they not been on a highway at that point in time. When he arrived at his destination he immediately called me in a panic.

This was not okay. First of all, it is inappropriate to discuss religion with a minor child without the parents present. Second of all, to speak negatively about a group which a rider is clearly a member of is extremely disrespectful. My son and I are concerned that this driver may repeat this behavior with other riders. Please take the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen.

This is beautifully written

STovah

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:37 pm
I don’t see where OP posted her child’s age but do not write that this was a minor child, or child at all, since that is against Uber rules.

gamanit

Post Tue, Jul 12 2022, 10:39 pm
singleagain wrote:
This is beautifully written

Thank you! When I reread it, of course I realized that I missed some commas but Grammarly app should take care of that Smile .

b.chadash

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 1:55 am
Don't include that he was a minor. Even an adult can feel unsafe in such a story.
The point is not that he discussed religion with a minor. The point is that he discussed religion at all, especially in a derogatory way.

The rest of your letter is excellent.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 2:09 am
It does reduce the impact of the complaint quite a lot when the passenger is an adult.

An adult would probably not feel unsafe in such a situation -- he'd just register a complaint, or ask to be dropped off at the nearest corner, etc. A minor OTOH has no credit card, and can't just leave and order another uber for himself.

But nonetheless, the driver's actions were sufficiently inappropriate that Uber should take notice.

Jubilant

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:03 am
gamanit wrote:

Gamanit, this is exactly what I need!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to type this up.

I greatly appreciate this!!!

Jubilant

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:03 am
Thank you all for your kind replies.

I greatly appreciate your advice.

Window

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 3:11 am
I would use the word “anti Semitism” and “racist“ those are good trigger words which would cause attention.
Also “minority”

gold2

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 4:31 am
In the Uk they have CST which recommends that you call them when you experience an anti semitic incident even someone shouting Dirty Jew

I'm sure there are similar organisations all over - the right people should be alerted (not only Uber) because it's good to see if there is a pattern and not sure if they could really watch this driver but they will do their thing. It helps protect everyone to report these things

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 9:52 am
b.chadash wrote:
Don't include that he was a minor. Even an adult can feel unsafe in such a story.
The point is not that he discussed religion with a minor. The point is that he discussed religion at all, especially in a derogatory way.

The rest of your letter is excellent.

I was unaware that they had this rule. Here's the edit Smile. Thank you

My son rode in an Uber vehicle yesterday with a driver by the name of XYX, who drives a vehicle make and model with the license plate XYZ123. My son is visibly Jewish, as he wears a kippah on his head. During this trip, the driver noted my son's religion and was discussing his own religion, Islam, with my son. This started out fairly normal and non-threatening. As the ride progressed, however, the driver switched gears and began belittling Jews and Judaism. At this point, my son felt unsafe in this vehicle. The driver's tone of voice and body language frightened him. He would have jumped out of the vehicle then and there had they not been on a highway at that point in time. When he arrived at his destination, he immediately called me in a panic.

This was not okay. First of all, it is generally considered socially inappropriate to discuss religion with a rider in this manner. Second of all, to speak negatively about a group that a rider is clearly a member of is extremely disrespectful. My son and I are concerned that this driver may repeat this behavior with other riders. Please take the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 10:43 am
gamanit wrote:
I was unaware that they had this rule. Here's the edit Smile. Thank you

My son rode in an Uber vehicle yesterday with a driver by the name of XYX, who drives a vehicle make and model with the license plate XYZ123. My son is visibly Jewish, as he wears a kippah on his head. During this trip, the driver noted my son's religion and was discussing his own religion, Islam, with my son. This started out fairly normal and non-threatening. As the ride progressed, however, the driver switched gears and began belittling Jews and Judaism. At this point, my son felt unsafe in this vehicle. The driver's tone of voice and body language frightened him. He would have jumped out of the vehicle then and there had they not been on a highway at that point in time. When he arrived at his destination, he immediately called me in a panic.

This was not okay. First of all, it is generally considered socially inappropriate to discuss religion with a rider in this manner. Second of all, to speak negatively about a group that a rider is clearly a member of is extremely disrespectful. My son and I are concerned that this driver may repeat this behavior with other riders. Please take the necessary steps to ensure that this does not happen.

Might make more sense for it to be written from sons pov if you're writing form "adult" view, bc otherwise why is an adult having his mommy write...?

gamanit

Post Wed, Jul 13 2022, 10:45 am
singleagain wrote:
Might make more sense for it to be written from sons pov if you're writing form "adult" view, bc otherwise why is an adult having his mommy write...?

If it was booked on her account...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics