Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lace tops vs. Lace wigs - which one is questionable?
  1  2  3  13  14  15  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 10:27 am
Please don't make this a bash rabbanim thread.

I'm in the market for a new sheitel and want to make sure not to buy the one that can be an issue. Is it the lace top, lace front or both?

TIA!

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 10:29 am
Both

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 10:31 am
None! Both! Depends whom you’re asking….

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 12:38 pm
Lace top: the whole top of the wig is lace. It is light, breathable, and looks like it is growing from your head.
Lace front: there is a peice of lace sewn into the front of a skintop wig at the hairline. Baby hairs are sewn into the lace creating the illusion of hair growing out of your scalp.
My understanding:
Rabonim who hold that a wig should not look natural will say no to both.
Rabonim who hold that a sheitle needs to cover, and its ok to look natural will typically ok either as long as its not see through. Meaning it should be lined.
Bottom line. Ask your rov.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 12:42 pm
my rav holds a lined lace front is fine.
he said no to a lace top.

darchei, far rockaway family

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 12:43 pm
In far Rockawy area it’s almost a non issue. It really depends where you live and which community you associate with

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 2:47 pm
My yeshivish rav said lace top not lined is halachically fine. I didn’t ask about hashkafically.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 2:50 pm
I believe both are a problem according to Rabbi Falks sefer on tznius.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I believe both are a problem according to Rabbi Falks sefer on tznius.

Nobody I know goes by Rabbi Falk on anything

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 6:03 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
My yeshivish rav said lace top not lined is halachically fine. I didn’t ask about hashkafically.

Good to know! Im curious how.. Do you know?

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 6:42 pm
I asked my pretty machmir rav in bayit vegan who said all is fine. If you wear wigs, none is a problem halachically. I was shocked since I didn’t get one for a while because of my halachic concern.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:56 pm
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
Good to know! Im curious how.. Do you know?

I didn’t really ask for an explanation but I previously had asked him if it was ok to wear a light colored tichel where you can see my dark hair through the light material and he said that was fine 🤷‍♀️

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 9:58 pm
Many yeshivish Rabbanim have asured both the lace top and lace front wigs- they asured them halachically.

Many that didn't asur them halachically spoke very strongly about how hashkically they are very wrong and pritzus and therefore they advice against wearing them. Really all the natural looking wigs are problematic, the situation has just eroded to such an extreme that it is painful to see so many erliche frum women unintentionally looking like they are not covering their hair. It is so sad to see married women looking so much attractive than the single women, when they are supposed to be reserving their main beauty for their husbands at home only.

I would not take this lightly. We are so careful with what we eat and we are machmir in so many other areas, this is a mitzvah that we are doing every second of the day. Why should we not be careful with how we cover our hair? We are supposed to cover AND conceal the beauty of hair, yet we are not with most of the wigs today (which look nicer than ones own hair thus defeating the purpose of the mitzvah)

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 10:00 pm
This was a great letter on the topic:

https://thelakewoodscoop.com/n.....tels/

amother
Strawberry

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 11:23 pm
To the imas who are opposed to lace wigs, I have a question. I am trying to phrase this respectfully and would ask you to respond in kind please.
I recently heard a shiur where the halachos of LH were being discussed. It was mentioned that when we have difficult relationships in our lives, it is perfectly ok to discuss them with someone else-l’toeles- which will ultimately lead to more shalom in the world. We know also that stretching the truth is permitted for the sake of shalom.
There is no more important shalom in the world than that between a married couple. Wouldn’t it make sense that if a hair covering is not l’chatchila halachically, but brings more shalom between the couple, that it would actually be not only permitted, but encouraged?
I would imagine that many husbands would be somewhat distressed if their wives started covering their hair in only the most mehudar way.
I am not condoning going against halacha, but only going with the more lenient opinion.
Anti-lace ladies, what are your thoughts on this topic?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:17 am
The way I learned it is that if a husband wants a wife to dress a certain way to please him, it should be at home only. It is not an excuse to go outside in a manner that will cause other men to look at her. Not only will that not being more shalom between the husband and wife but because the woman is causing other men to sin by seeing her look very attractive outside the shechina actually leaves their marriage therby causing more marital problems.

The Chofetz Chaim (who is the expert on LH) wrote in the sefer Geder Olam (Chapter 4, first paragraph) that a woman is not allowed to dress up to please her husband in the market place (in public), she can only dress up attractively in her home and she will be punished accordingly if she does dress up outside with the excuse that her husband wants her to dress this way.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 1:05 am
I hear the point but am not sure that it’s relevant here. We aren’t talking about something that is attention- grabbing in a marketplace. Men generally should not be looking at other women closely enough to see if their wig is lace or not.
I think that the argument you presented would be more applicable to an extremely long wig or provocative clothing or jewelry.
A lace wig is not (by definition) more flashy than a non-lace wig.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 2:30 am
A lot of women have lace fronts now. I haven’t gotten one yet and probably won’t. Firstly bc I think it’s an obvious attempt to make your wig look like it’s not a wig, and secondly I think the lace looks so strange, you can see it when you’re close enough and it looks like you spilled glue on your head and it dried there…. Sorry to say it like that, it’s just what I think. I am very into aesthetics and beauty and style, just haven’t jumped onto the lace front craze yet…
It kind of emphasizes the strangeness of following trends even when it doesn’t look so good.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:42 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Many yeshivish Rabbanim have asured both the lace top and lace front wigs- they asured them halachically.

Many that didn't asur them halachically spoke very strongly about how hashkically they are very wrong and pritzus and therefore they advice against wearing them. Really all the natural looking wigs are problematic, the situation has just eroded to such an extreme that it is painful to see so many erliche frum women unintentionally looking like they are not covering their hair. It is so sad to see married women looking so much attractive than the single women, when they are supposed to be reserving their main beauty for their husbands at home only.

I would not take this lightly. We are so careful with what we eat and we are machmir in so many other areas, this is a mitzvah that we are doing every second of the day. Why should we not be careful with how we cover our hair? We are supposed to cover AND conceal the beauty of hair, yet we are not with most of the wigs today (which look nicer than ones own hair thus defeating the purpose of the mitzvah)

I mean, my rav said it’s ok so 🤷‍♀️

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
A lot of women have lace fronts now. I haven’t gotten one yet and probably won’t. Firstly bc I think it’s an obvious attempt to make your wig look like it’s not a wig, and secondly I think the lace looks so strange, you can see it when you’re close enough and it looks like you spilled glue on your head and it dried there…. Sorry to say it like that, it’s just what I think. I am very into aesthetics and beauty and style, just haven’t jumped onto the lace front craze yet…
It kind of emphasizes the strangeness of following trends even when it doesn’t look so good.
I have the wunderwig edge which has a lace front and is super comfortable, more so than my other wigs. I don’t know if most lace fronts are more comfortable or if it’s just that one but for me it had nothing to do with looks, just comfort
Page 1 of 15   1  2  3  13  14  15  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels