Home

I sleep trained but baby still wakes at 530am to eat.
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:47 am
in the beginning of sleep training when baby woke after 5 I fed her and assumed eventually she'd get up later but that never happened.
Does a baby need to eat that early? Should I just be ok with it? will she train herself to sleep a bit later? or do I need to sleep train her again for this part of the "night"?

please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!
Back to top

giftedmom




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:49 am
Yes! Babies need to eat that early. She will eventually outgrow it. Please don’t ignore your baby’s needs.
Back to top

mushkamothers




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:50 am
How old is the baby? You can't train hunger out of a human. If she's hungry then you feed her. You can consider it a night feed but sounds like she's up for the day.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:51 am
You won't get helpful responses until you add how old your baby is.
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
in the beginning of sleep training when baby woke after 5 I fed her and assumed eventually she'd get up later but that never happened.
Does a baby need to eat that early? Should I just be ok with it? will she train herself to sleep a bit later? or do I need to sleep train her again for this part of the "night"?

please try to answer the questions and not to attack me for sleep training. if you don't believe in it just skip this thread. TY!


How old is your baby
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:53 am
5 months and a buster. She eats a LOT during the day. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
5 months and a buster. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.


So she is a bit young to be sleep trained for the full 12 hours she probably is sleeping by 8 so at 5 it’s 9 hours which is normal for the baby to need food. My baby is over a year and days she don’t eat well she wakes for a bottle in middle of the night. And on other days she’s gets up at 6 for a bottle it’s 10 hours which is a long stretch
Back to top

imaima




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
5 months and a buster. She eats a LOT during the day. I cleared the sleep training her pediatrician before.


Of course she needs to eat
Sleep training doesn’t mean you get to sleep as much as you need to
It means that your baby can fall asleep unassisted
Back to top

amother




DarkKhaki
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 8:57 am
What time are you putting her to sleep?
My daughter had an early morning feed for about a year. She went to sleep at about 7-8pm, ate a lot during the day, but it was too much for her to go 12 hours at that point.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:03 am
usually she goes to sleep 7:30-8. yesterday, she ate after 9 and went to sleep then and still woke up at 5:30. my question is if it's about hunger or just what she's used to by now.
Back to top

amother




Gold
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
usually she goes to sleep 7:30-8. yesterday, she ate after 9 and went to sleep then and still woke up at 5:30. my question is if it's about hunger or just what she's used to by now.


Probably a combo of both but more likely hunger
Back to top

DVOM




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:05 am
I start sleep training at about 6 weeks, but I find that my kids need that early morning feeding for a long time. My daughter is now 1. She goes to sleep at around 7 for the night, and is up for a bottle at 5. I give her a warm milk bottle in her crib, change her diaper, give her a kiss and go back to bed. She almost always drinks up and falls back to sleep until about 8. I consider this a successful night. The aim, for me, is to get my babies used to sleeping when they're not hungry. It makes sense to me that by 5, 5:30, my girl hasn't eaten in 10 hours and is hungry. So I feed her.
Back to top

Rachel Shira




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:21 am
Totally normal. Feed and if you’re lucky she’ll sleep another hour or so. My kids need an early morning feeding until past/around age 1.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:32 am
I wouldn't assume anything but hunger for several more months.
Back to top

Sara B.




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 9:48 am
5:30 is morning and breakfast time
Back to top

ek22




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 10:37 am
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:48 am
yea a full night for a baby is about 9 hours so makes sense. you can try putting her back to sleep after that feeding
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:54 am
ek22 wrote:
My daughter is now 6.5 months and I sleep trained her using the 12 hours of sleep by 12 weeks old method. She now sleeps 745 pm until 7AM, if she wakes up before 7 I give her the paci and she goes back to sleep or plays in her crib until its time to eat, if she sleeps past 7 I don't wake her. We faces a simular issue with her eating very early in the morning when she was about 4 months but according to the book that is the last step in sleep training, you need to start pushing her morning feed later and later by 15 minute interval every 3 days or so.
This does not mean you are ignoring your babies needs and hunger, it simply means you are feeding her everything her body needs during the day hours instead of night hours (just like adults do) You just have to make sure she's eating enough during the 12-13 hours that she does eat. I've heard its about 2.5 ounces per pound in a 24 hour period, so divide that by the amount of feedings she has (typically 4) though it may vary depending on if its breastmilk or formula and gender of the baby.
Obviously there are exceptions and when my baby doesn't have a big appetite and doesn't finish her bottle before she goes to bed then anticipate her needing her morning feed before 7 AM the next morning.


well there are different opinions but according to my pediatrician 12 hours is not realistic for most babies and that book is not very accurate
Back to top

amother




Ivory
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 11:57 am
Please feed your baby when she wakes up
Back to top

amother




Lightyellow
 

Post Sun, Jul 17 2022, 12:23 pm
Poor baby! Of course you should feed her!
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Constipated baby
by amother
6 Yesterday at 12:49 pm View last post
AW 2022 Baby Girl (9 months old)
by amother
12 Sat, Sep 24 2022, 11:54 pm View last post
What does baby girl wear with this?
by amother
20 Sat, Sep 24 2022, 3:54 pm View last post
Baby Boy Wedding Outfit
by amother
1 Thu, Sep 22 2022, 8:27 pm View last post
1 month old baby just "chills" without crying. is he okay?
by amother
12 Thu, Sep 22 2022, 6:57 am View last post
by DVOM