Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
TV shows for teen daughter
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 8:14 pm
My 13 year old daughter is correctly going through a medical situation and is home all summer. She is unable to do a lot of the things she would normally enjoy so we've been allowing her to have a lot more screen time then we ever normally would (since normally we allow almost none). I'm looking for recommendations for TV shows or movies that are age appropriate and relatively clean. She prefers a show since she hates having to stop in middle and I don't always want her watching for 2 hours at a time. Big plus if it's free on Prome or Hulu. Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 13 year old daughter is correctly going through a medical situation and is home all summer. She is unable to do a lot of the things she would normally enjoy so we've been allowing her to have a lot more screen time then we ever normally would (since normally we allow almost none). I'm looking for recommendations for TV shows or movies that are age appropriate and relatively clean. She prefers a show since she hates having to stop in middle and I don't always want her watching for 2 hours at a time. Big plus if it's free on Prome or Hulu. Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions.

Ultimately, it would depend what her maturity level is and what her interests are so you might want to check out anything mentioned before you let her watch it.
On Hulu there is K.C. Undercover, Holly Hobbie, The Thundermans, some Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen movies, Madeline, Masterchef Junior, Junior Chef Showdown, Project Runway Junior.

On Youtube you can get Dance Academy, The Elephant Princess, Lightning Point, H20:Just add water.

Tubi is free and has lots of tv shows and movies for kids.

If you have hulu then see if you can add Disney+ (last I checked it was for $2.99 a month so totally worth it) for lots of wholesome tv shows and movies.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:02 pm
Brady Bunch

Little House on the Prairie

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman

The Waltons

Fish

The Andy Griffith Show

Different Strokes

Eight is Enough

Full House

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:33 pm
When Calls the Heart

Heartland

Anne with an E

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:51 pm
Annie

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Home Alone

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:03 pm
Having just re-watched full house with my kids, it is not a clean as I remembered it --- although it is more clean than fuller house.

gande

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:05 pm
You can start with the Jewish shows; you can see a lot of them on Toveedo.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:11 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Having just re-watched full house with my kids, it is not a clean as I remembered it --- although it is more clean than fuller house.

It's not super clean, but most of it will go over kids' heads.
Try Disney shows from 5-10 years ago like liv and Maddie, girl meets world etc

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:14 pm
Anne with an E Is darker than I expected. Lots of implied horrors but never actually stated outright. Like molestation. It could go over her head but maybe watch first.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:34 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
Anne with an E Is darker than I expected. Lots of implied horrors but never actually stated outright. Like molestation. It could go over her head but maybe watch first.

It also has a gay subplot, suicide attempt, and a clear political agenda.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:46 pm
Yea, I wouldn't recommend Anne with an E if you are pretty strict about what your daughter watches.
I lost interest in the show after the s*x schoolfriend gossip when Anne shows up at school the first day (about her foster parents), plus the last straw was when she stripped to her underwear and ran around Green Gables because she was mad. The character of Anne as written in the book would never have done that, it was ridiculous! Also, the author made it quite clear in her private writings (now published for the public) her feelings about what she referred to as "privy talk" in the books of her day, so I doubt she'd have appreciated the modern spin put on her sweet, whimsical books and characters.

Some of the shows listed are really old/old fashioned and might be too dated, although YMMV.

Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman is a great suggestion and I think it is on Prime.

If you do get Disney+ as someone suggested, I recommend the show Even Stevens.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:47 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm going to look into them. She's not super super sheltered (knows about s-x, homos-xual relationships, etc). I'm ok with mild boy girl relationships like mild flirting, hand holding, mild kissing but no heavy making out, nudity... I don't mind if it mentions something about gay people but don't want depictions of same s-x relationships. She also doesn't want what she thinks of as childish movies so a lot of the Disney movies she rejected just because she thinks she's too old for them (eventhough I told her that I, and many adults, enjoy many of them myself). This gives me a place to start.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 12:00 am
Wishing your dd a refuah shleimah b'karov!

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 10:07 am
Movies

Escapade in Japan

Parent trap

Freaky Friday

Honey I blew up the kid

Harry Potter (the first 2)

Free willy

Sound of music

Oliver

Hook

E.t.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP - this is not what you asked, but I feel I have to say it. It's very very dangerous to allow your daughter (or anyone) to watch TV. It's sewage coming into your home. You cannot avoid subversive messaging even if you tried.

I recently started watching clips on Facebook. After a month (maybe even less), I started to FEEL degraded. Well, after every dirty joke I felt degraded. But after a month or so it was really palpable. I went off again, then on again, but it's a struggle. Especially since my teenage years were spent parked in front of a TV. It's a bad and destructive habit.

Isn't there something else your daughter can do? Perhaps imamothers can help you brainstorm?

Some suggestions:
Read (yes, book content may also become an issue)
Learn to crochet or knit
Learn a different language
Learn bechavrusa with someone
Help cook or bake
Learn an instrument, such as guitar

Hatzlacha! May Hashem send your daughter a Refuah sheleima!

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:35 pm
1. Most of the shows recommended here do not have dirty jokes.

2. When I was a little older than op's daughter I dealt with a medical situation that took me a year to recover. During that time I was in so much discomfort I literally could not sleep at night. I won't go into details but I have since read medical research that gave serious numbers of people dealing with that who have nervous breakdowns or become suicidal. That didn't happen to me BH but I couldn't function or do anything really for that time. I had no mental space to concentrate on books or crafts. The only thing that kept me sane and passed the endless nights for me was watching tv/movies. Shabbos was excruciatingly hard for me.
Give op credit for having common sense. If she says her daughter needs it, she does. No reason to guilt trip her.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 5:39 pm
Would she be interested in watching jewish DVDs?
Maybe cooking shows are a good choice too if she's into these things.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
1. Most of the shows recommended here do not have dirty jokes.

2. When I was a little older than op's daughter I dealt with a medical situation that took me a year to recover. During that time I was in so much discomfort I literally could not sleep at night. I won't go into details but I have since read medical research that gave serious numbers of people dealing with that who have nervous breakdowns or become suicidal. That didn't happen to me BH but I couldn't function or do anything really for that time. I had no mental space to concentrate on books or crafts. The only thing that kept me sane and passed the endless nights for me was watching tv/movies. Shabbos was excruciatingly hard for me.
Give op credit for having common sense. If she says her daughter needs it, she does. No reason to guilt trip her.

Thank you amother thistle for understanding the extremely tough situation we are in. Yes I am aware that TV is garbage and even the most benign shows nowadays are promoting a certain agenda. But we have no other options right now. She's normally an avid reader but is unable to mentally focus and maintain attention to read right now. Trust me if it wasn't necessary I would never allow it. My kids almost never get screen time and have no unsupervised access to devices under normal circumstances. We are very very far from normal right now and this is the only thing that is getting her through right now. That's why I'm asking for suggestions here. I figure slightly older shows are less likely to contain questionable material (ie same gender relationships, transgender characters etc) so easier to weed out the things we really don't want her watching.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 7:26 pm
How about Hannah Montana? Loved that show at her age!

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Jul 20 2022, 8:23 pm
The good witch (movies & tv show) are actually pretty clean. Amazon has them all on the hallmark channel. Just research the correct order to watch them (if you decide to do these I can try to copy the info here- I have it somewhere.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children