Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Professional type, but compact camera?Is there such a thing?
1  2  3  4  Next

GAMZu

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 10:04 pm
I want to upgrade a bit to a camera that takes better pics, but I don't want something bulky.
I carry my camera everywhere, and I want it to fit in my diaper bag or purse.
I guess interchangeable lenses are out of the question?
Any suggestions?

daisy

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 7:52 am
What do you currently use? I think the cameras with higher optical zooms are really good. Check out the Panasonic Lumix line. I have an older one with 12x optical zoom and it has served me really well.

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 8:20 am
I have a Kodak C360.
I don't find that I use zoom all that much. I have 5x optical zoom, and it's more than enough usually.

I was thinking of something that takes great pics, even when there is no sun... like indoor pics usually come out pretty bad, unless they are next to a window on a sunny day.
Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:23 pm
I just bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 for under $100. It has many features. I am still learning how to use it. It takes nice pictures.

cassandra

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:29 pm
Is something like the S5 IS too big? I am able to carry that around in my bag, though I don't take it with me everywhere I go.

chayitty

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 1:27 pm
how bout the canon powershot G9

workingmom3

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 1:30 pm
I have the canon powershot sx 100 and I love it - great zoom, unbelievable pics- 8 MP and 10* optical zoom

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 2:33 pm
cassandra, what camera is that? s5 what?

Chayitty and workingmom, those cameras are known to be on the more professional side of the spectrum?

cassandra

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 2:36 pm
sorry. It's also a canon powershot.

chayitty

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 2:49 pm
the G9 gives u full control if u want plus I think u can get something to add a len..(not sure)....it has a 12.1 mp and a 6x optical lens....it also has image stablization and 3" lcd screen
the best thing to do is to go to b&h...they have really knowledgable sales people and let u try the camera...they also have great prices and great custmor service...so its a win win

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 2:50 pm
So it seems that Cannon Powershot is one that takes good pics...
What about pics at home at night? How do those come out?
With my current one, the subject is overexposed, the background is totally dark, and if I try to fix it, the coloring goes wacky.
I usually make those pics black and white which somewhat saves them.

Like this one is pretty bad quality:

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 3:15 pm
And if I use flash indoors, it comes out really bad.
So I try not to. I raise the exposure compensation (I think that's what it is) and try to steady the camera while putting it on 2 second timer (to let it stabilize from my pressing the shutter button.)

But it still comes out blurry if a kid moves.

Here's one with flash...

And one without it. Both no good at all.

And you've seen my pics... much better than this.
Because I only take pics outside or by a sunny window.

Would one of the cameras suggested above resolve this issue?

thanks!

amother

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 3:24 pm
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 has several different settings. There is also a setting for night and low light shots.

Here is the link to the manual (look at pages 46-52): http://service.us.panasonic.co.....7.PDF

Hope this helps!

Zahava

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 3:42 pm
Try dpreview.com. It's awesome and has lots of information on lots of cameras.

From what I gathered when I researched cameras, the Canon G9 is not what everyone expected it to be. I think that the only real advatage over the canon A series is that it shoots RAW, but then you need to do lots of post processing, ie photoshop, you can't develop them the way they are.

Go to that site-you'll find on the last page of every review is a summary of what they think of each camera. It will get you started so that you can narrow it down to a few choices. Also, the site has all the definitions in photo-lingo that you might need.

I think Fuji has been a leader in the past for indoor pics, but I'm not sure if they still are. Alot of their cameras don't have IS, though, which I find very important especially when shooting without a flash or high ISO.

After doing all that reading, your best bet would be to either go down or call BH photo to help you make a decision. They know alot and can help you.

mugsisme

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 3:14 pm
chayitty wrote:
the G9 gives u full control if u want plus I think u can get something to add a len..

I was going to recommend the same camera. My step father got it and loves it. You can add an external flash as well. It is small enough to toss into a pocketbook.

GAMZu

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 5:19 pm
Thanks all for your replies. Very Happy
Off to research your suggestions... Smile

daisy

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 5:22 pm
Have you read any simple photography tips? These also make a huge difference in how well the pictures come out.

GAMZu

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 5:58 pm
daisy wrote:
Have you read any simple photography tips? These also make a huge difference in how well the pictures come out.
I have experimented with my simple digital camera settings ENDLESSLY right when I got it. I loved the fact that I can see results instantly, and refine my skills.

Eventually I read books and saw that about 90% of the tips there I have already discovered myself.
I think I can say that I take pretty good pictures. But there are some situations that the camera just isn't fit for. Like indoors in moderate lighting.

GAMZu

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 9:28 pm
So far the S5 looks too big and bulky.

I am looking at the G9 and the SX right now.

I checked out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 and it seems there is image noise the higher the ISO. I have no idea how that compares to my current camera.

Still researching. Smile

The G9 is preeeetty expensive, though.

Zahava

Post Sun, May 25 2008, 9:35 pm
I don't know how important it is to you, but the sx100 doesn't have a viewfinder. Not sure if you noticed that.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art