Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Professional type, but compact camera?Is there such a thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 12:48 am
Yes, I noticed that, thanks!
I don't really use the viewfinder anyway. I guess it's useful when you need to conserve battery power, but I prefer to just have extra batteries on hand.

Looks like the Panasonic isn't what I'm looking for: "Poor flash performance indoors, requiring +1.3EV to get a good exposure"

The S5 is too big for my every-day needs, and the G9 is out of budget.

I'm basically left with the SX from the ones recommended in this thread.

It looks like IS is one feature that I really need to make my pictures sharper even without a flash.

Any more suggestions to throw around here?

Thanks!!

chayitty

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 12:54 am
actually a veiwfinder is very imp.!!...its imp to hold camera with 2 hands close to body to aviode camera shake and get the best shot.....the g9 has a nice size veiw finder lots of other cameras I tried have tiny veiwfinder...but I only tried canon.....just go to b&h...lol

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:03 am
I don't find the viewfinder to be accurate anyway.
I do the close-to-the-body thing, too, but somehow still look at the LCD screen.

Which one do you have, Chayitty? Probably a whole fancy SLR... but do you have a compact one, too?

I can't go traveling anywhere. I just can't get out of the house for so long without the kids. I'd love to, but it's not possible.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:11 am
What about Nikon?
Do they have a compact version that works like a professional camera?

chayitty

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:13 am
I have an dslr camera....the 40d from canon..its big!!!...I happen to need very badly a compact camera now...in the past I bought my cameras based on wat color they come in...I like red or pink cameras..(I call it my creative side..lol)...anyhow now that I know a lil more bout cameras I want a really good travel/compact camera......still dont know wat im gonna get but I really think I want the G9...(dh dont either like the price on it)

Zahava

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:31 am
I think Nikon's point and shoot aren't too good. Did you check out Fuji?

I have an S5 and hardly use my flash indoors. The shutter speed or ISO compensates when I shoot on auto, and the IS helps steady it for sharper shots.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 8:38 am
I looked at the Fujis, and you're right, they don't have the IS.

What do you think of this?
Canon Powershot S1100 IS Digital Elph
http://www.imaging-resource.co.....A.HTM

* Optical image stabilization
* DIGIC III image processor just like the big boys
* Facial detection for portraits and to confirm those smiles afterwards
* Small, sleek body design
* High resolution LCD
* Good performance figures, especially for a bargain camera
* Good flash performance at wide angle
* Auto flash only raises ISO to 200 at manufacturer-specified ranges
* Adjustable contrast settings
* Reprogrammable Print/Share button allows for greater customization
* Good color saturation
* Good indoor incandescent performance
* Good low-light performance
* USB 2.0 Hi Speed connection
* Good Macro mode performance
* Images print well up to 13x19 inches at ISO 80 and 100
* Fast prefocus shutter lag
* Fast download speed

And besides IS, what are the main features of a GOOD camera? As professional as it gets, while still being compact.

Because for the Powershot SX it says "Good digital camera to learn with" and I'm not sure if it means it's just a standard point & shoot...?

daisy

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 9:05 am
Taking good pictures with moderate light indoors IS tricky. I really try to take indoor pictures in very good lighting. If the kids move too much it always comes out blurry (and I do have IS). I need to use a flash when I am taking action pictures, especially if the light isn't good. Sometimes you just need a tripod or a stable surface.

My friend takes pictures for a school and she swears by her Fuji Finepix (I think she has the s9000) http://accessories.us.dell.com.....80417

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 9:40 am
Yeah, of course it won't be perfect, but at lest it won't be like what I posted on page 1. My indoor pics at hight are reaaally bad. Even during the day.

Unfortunately, the Fuji doesn't have IS.

I took a look at the S5 again, to give it a 2nd chance LOL and I realized that it has a manual lens cap that you just remove. Oy, that will be way too much trouble for my use. I need it mainly when I see a great photo opportunity and need to grab the camera pronto.

I'm basically down to the Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS or the Powershot SX...

Any opinions on those 2?
Any other suggestions to confuse me further? lol

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 10:14 am
Another issue:
my current camera has an option to take pictures proportional to a 4x6 print (most digitals are more squarish than that.)

Does anyone else's camera have such an option?

daisy

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 11:11 am
I couldn't see your picture; it doesn't come out for me. I wonder how much difference IS makes. She takes lots of pictures indoors and just claims that she holds the camera really steady. But I hear you, I think I would go for IS too.

I'm not familiar with those particular cameras. I think on the canon website you can compare different features.

When I was last looking for a camera I remember reading that most digital cameras were really good these days.

I think it's important to check to make sure not a lot of shutter lag (time between you press the shutter until it actually takes a picture) and no noise at higher ISO's (I have this and it really bother's me).

I have a manual lens cap and it doesn't bother me at all. It depends what you get used to.

daisy

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 11:21 am
Me again.

I personally like the looks of the S5 (now I want it Exclamation), but you sound like you might be happier with something more compact.

Did you look at the list on that website of Daves' picks? He recommends the canon sd870 as a good all-around camera.

Last edited by daisy on Mon, May 26 2008, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 11:22 am
So far the SX has more and better features than the SD1100 (10x zoom vs 3x!!)

They both have good shutter lag.
Although the SD1100 didn't have any noise complaints and the SX did... Hmmm. I think the SX is still better, though.

The G9 looked awesome... Maybe when we win the lottery. LOL

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 11:36 am
Thanks so much daisy! You're counseling me through this, LOL.

I took a look at Dave's picks. Is an "all-around" camera what I really want? I was thinking something more "professional."

I saw he put the SX100 (the one I'm looking at seriously) under "enthusiast" Smile

I think I pretty much decided on that one.

Next question... black or silver?? LOL

Rivky

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 11:40 am
I like silver! Looks better somehow-in my humble opinion.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:34 pm
I'm looking at this thread and thinking this is a question that would get about 20 pages of responses on imafather. LOL

I asked dh but im waiting for a response.

Zahava

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:44 pm
Gamzu, when shooting outdoors a viewfinder is pretty important, I think. About the lens cap on the S5-the biggest disadvantage that I found (and many others on review sites) was not that you remove it manually, but that it pops off too easy. As soon as I turn my camera on the cover pops off.

If you're looking for something compact with lots of features I think the sx100 is the way to go. I was seriously considering it when I was looking. And I wasn't just looking-I was obssessed!

And, yes, IS is very important, especially in low light. I took the same picture with and without just to see the difference, and boy is there a difference.

Whatever you settle for, good luck and enjoy.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 1:56 pm
Quote:

And, yes, IS is very important, especially in low light. I took the same picture with and without just to see the difference, and boy is there a difference.

What, a viewfinder? Can you explain why?

I usually take many, many pictures of the same scene. Some of them without using a viewfinder or the screen at all. Just shoot as soon as I can so I can catch the moment- no time to even look at the screen.

But why is viewfinder important in low light?

daisy

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 2:39 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Quote:

What, a viewfinder? Can you explain why?

I usually take many, many pictures of the same scene. Some of them without using a viewfinder or the screen at all. Just shoot as soon as I can so I can catch the moment- no time to even look at the screen.

But why is viewfinder important in low light?

She said IS (image stabilizer) is important in low-light.

A viewfinder is good in bright sunlight because sometimes you can't see the lcd panel well in the light.

Zahava

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 2:46 pm
Thanks, daisy.

Sorry Gamzu if I came across unclear.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art