Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Professional type, but compact camera?Is there such a thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

greenfire

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 3:00 pm
DMC-FX8PP Lumix

pixel is great
optical image stabilizer - in case your hand jitters

dd has this - but you have to do your own research

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 6:41 pm
Oh, OK, thanks for clearing up, Daisy. Zahava - You wrote about the viewfinder in the beginning of your post, so I figured that's what you were talking about.

I usually take action pics of my kids anyway, so I have to extend my arm to wherever they are to take the pic. Viewfinder wouldn't help there. Smile I think I can live without that feature.

Thanks again, everyone!! For suggestions and all... Smile

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 6:44 pm
sorry to be totally off topic GAMZu, but what is the toy your son is playing with in that picture. dd is fascinated with all building toys.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 7:53 pm
Haha...
I don't think you can find it where you are.
It's actually a cheap Chinese knockoff of clicks. Difference is the pieces are much larger, and the connectors are separate pieces, not on the squares themselves. And there are triangle pieces, too.

Then there are just extra details like gears that you can poke into the holes in the squares.

I bought 1 pack because I was skeptical... but they were so good, I bought 2 more!

They're called Super Bricks or something- got them at Save Rite. Smile

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 7:55 pm
I told you, I'm coming. but I have clicks- so that probably doesn't help me. although they looked totally different. thanks, sweets.

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 8:36 pm
I'm not sure they still have it, though. I'll check next time. Smile

It is different than clicks, although the idea is the same.
They're bigger, have triangles also, are hollow, with solid pieces you can snap in, the connectors are separate, and there are holes to stick gears into.

More details, but works pretty much the same.

chayitty

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 8:51 pm
just a tip....a more professional type of camera is going to have a veiwfinder.....since its an essential for camera shake and straight pics...so if ur choosing a camera that dont have a veiwfinder make sure its really as almost pro as u think it is...I dont know all the cameras out there and all the terms and stuff but just telling u to double check

amother

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:53 pm
My DH works both on the phone and on the sales floor in the digital camera section of B&H PHOTO he is very knowledgable in these cameras. if you want to call him: his number is 212-444-6615 Ext: 5744 I asked him what he would suggest is a good all around camera. Here is his answer:

Canon P/S Cameras are marketed so well that even if they would make a peice of garbage they could sell it just because their name tag is branded
on it. however the truth be told this is exactley what they do! and even though it says on the bottom made in japan!!! in order for them to keep the cost down. they try to cut corners wherever & whenever possible otherwise you would be paying double the price. (dont forget labour is expencive in japan that is why most camera manufacturers have set up their manufactring plants in countries such as China, Thailand, Etc..)

With regards to the Canon Powershot G9 this camera was designed for a proffessional photographer who's looking for a small camera that can copy the character traits of an SLR. I highly recommend this camera for ppl who know what they are doing. Anything less, will not give the wanted results.

The best camera I suggest is like Zahava mentioned - the FUJI cameras. Not all. In small compact, the best are the Finepix F50FD, amd it's newer version: Finepix F100FD.
Contrary to what people are saying (that there is no image stabilization) - not only is that wrong, but actually, the opposite - it has Dual Image Stabilization (optical and digital.)
Regarding its ability to shoot in low light, there is yet to be made a point&shoot that can rival its performance. It's the only one with a honey-comb shaped 8th generation super CCD sensor.
With regards to the common misdemeanor, that cameras need to have optical viewfinder, it's a bunch of nonsense.
Simply because:
A) they very rarely give you 100% accuracy
B) they're so small that it's almost not even worth it
C) you can buy the Delkin pop-up shade - which is designed to give you optimal clarity on your LCD screen during those very bright sunny days.
D) I'd also like to mention that modern digital cameras have new hypocrystal screens with stronger brightness capabilities, which help make the LCD clearer to view.

Just to finish off on another good point about the Fuji - they happen to be the fastest camera in regards to shutter lag start-up time and frames per second.

Finally, to be rivaled only as the 2nd best cameras: Panasonics. They are good in every respect of camera production except for its very lousy performance in low light situations.

Zahava

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 10:04 pm
To the above amother:

The fuji cameras that I was referring to as having no IS were the bridge and superzooms. With a large zoom, I find it imperative to have IS. The only Fuji bridge with IS is somewhere around the $800 mark, not sure exactly. The compacts I didn't research much about.

Also, I had made up my mind between Panasonic FZ8/18/50 (one of them) or the Canon S5, because I wanted a large zoom. I was told by two people at B&H that the Canon gives way better image quality, especially indoors.

GAMZu

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 10:48 pm
Wow, thanks amother. That was very comprehensive.

I looked up Finepix F100FD and it seems there isn't so much info out there about it. The sites that review cameras have limited reviews, so I am hesitant to spend so much on it.

I also looked up the previous one, the F50FD and although it looks good, there are a couple of deal breakers:

# Underexposes indoor shots
# Underpowered flash, not good for indoor shooting
# Slick outer shell lacks good gripping surface
...and it's also only 3x zoom.

So I guess I'll be sticking with the Powershot SX100. It seems to be the best one for my needs.

Thanks to all!! Very Happy

Zahava

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 12:24 am
Great choice. You get alot of features, compact camera and great zoom!

But remember (like I have to-all the time) that indoor shots will not be perfect with a P/S. Don't be disappointed if they don't come out just the way you had imagined them.

GAMZu

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 12:31 am
What's P/S, point and shoot?

I know I won't get wonders... just wanted the extra features to help me out. I know the tips and tricks already. This will be like a boost. Smile

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:48 pm
Yeah, I got it yesterday. Very Happy
Taking the time to read up about it and learn it.
MANY more features than my previous one. It also has a full manual mode- starts with zero in all settings and you tweak whatever you want.

I can definitely tell the difference already between this and my previous one, even on auto. So excited to learn to use all the features!

Zahava

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:51 pm
So, do you know the maual by heart Gamzu? Smile I got mine before Pesach, read the minimum needed for taking some pictures on Chol Hamoed, and that was it. Thanks for inspiring me to take my booklet out again?

Enjoy your camera!

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 11:25 pm
I'm not done reading it yet!

I just fell in love with the 10x zoom.
Seriously. LOL
Do you know what a brocha it is to be able to take pics of your kids in the park without getting off the bench (or grass or whatever) ? LOL
Even if I use the zoom only up to 5x (which is what my old camera had) the pictures come out soooo much sharper. I guess the IS is really something.

I love how when my kids are far and I use the zoom, the background becomes very soft and the kids are clear and vivid. Very Happy Still trying to figure out if I can do that without the zoom, too. (Make background fuzzy.)

daisy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 11:43 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I'm not done reading it yet!

I just fell in love with the 10x zoom.
Seriously. LOL
Do you know what a brocha it is to be able to take pics of your kids in the park without getting off the bench (or grass or whatever) ? LOL
Even if I use the zoom only up to 5x (which is what my old camera had) the pictures come out soooo much sharper. I guess the IS is really something.

I love how when my kids are far and I use the zoom, the background becomes very soft and the kids are clear and vivid. Very Happy Still trying to figure out if I can do that without the zoom, too. (Make background fuzzy.)

I'm glad you discovered this, I told you I was a big fan of optical zoom! Here's some info on blurred background. Zoom definitely helps!

http://www.stevesforums.com/fo.....id=78

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-.....raits

GAMZu

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 12:24 am
Thanks for the links!!

This from one of them:
Quote:
Alternatively you can use Photoshop, select the background and use the Blur filter.

Guilty as charged. embarrassed Wink Hope to save myself some work now! Tongue Out
I didn't always do it- only when the subject came out really nicely but the background was ugly.

(Here are some of mine that I edited to blur the ugly background because the kids came out too cute to just leave it. Hehehe...)

IY"H I'll post some from the new camera as soon as I load them up! Very Happy)

chayitty

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 12:32 am
the more u zoom in the better shallow depth of feild u will get..u said u have manual settings right??...well then u can make open up fully ur aperture setting which will help u get shallow depth of feild as well....(I can open till 2.8....check wat u can...the lower the number the more its open)
openin ur aperture will bring in alot of light into the pic so u might want to bring up ur shutter speed to close up some of the extra light....hope ur njpying ur new camera.....I really need a point and shoot so let me know how it works for u and post some pics from it

Zahava

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 1:41 am
Chayitty, can you open your aperture to 2.8 even when using full zoom? Unless you have the really expensive and heavy lens, you lose some of the aperture as you zoom in.

Gamzu, when you don't use your zoom you should be able to blur the background using the aperture priority setting. When I'm outdoors and shooting snapshots I find that it's too much of a hassle to adjust the shutter speed every time I see a good shot. If you're not in direct sunlight or so, then you might be able to get away without doing that even when you open the aperture alot.

chayitty

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 1:46 am
yea my zoom opens to 2.8 all the way....and its very heavy..its a 50-150mm....but I love it so so much...I do think my next lens I will try to get s/t lighter.
well if its at aperture priorty then it deos the shutterspeed on its own....I dont know y I never use that....im always either in fully manuel or very seldom in auto
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art