Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Houses in Toms River are getting to be as expensive as Lawre
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Depends for whom. I know people who moved to Monsey and then back to Brooklyn bec they were living in their cars, all week long. They said theyd rather have smaller houses and not be doing errands and carpooling all day.

Some in the 5 towns can walk to a supermarket.

I think the clueless part was about housing pricing. Which yes , many Toms River people seem clueless about. This topic comes up every once in a while. You can't compare Lawrence wealth to Tom's River (semi- gauche) wealth.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:51 pm
Op, are you talking about the Lawrence in the 5towns? And you're saying that similar properties in TR and Lawrence are of similar price?

Where are you getting this information from?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:51 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Having lived in both I strongly disagree with you. And price wise it’s a massive difference.

How is it different? Gucci and fendi cost the same everywhere.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Yes, tuition is also a huge factor especially for those with large families. My son goes to high school in NY and tuition is over 25k. Elementary here in Lakewood is like 6k I think. Not sure about high schools but probably at most half of my son’s tuition.

This. It’s 7 k for the smaller schools and I think 8 or 9 for the fancier or larger schools but still half as much as in Lawrence

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The really nice houses in Toms River are getting to be almost as expensive as in Lawrence.

Whats the rush to go to Toms River now, except to follow those who bought reasonably years ago, especially if Lawrence is so much closer to the city where most people have businesses and relatives?

Can someone explain?

I for one would explain it as the mindset and environment in TR, Jackson, etc is much less hoity toity than Lawrence. While the houses might be as big, it’s a much more down to earth attitude in my opinion.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Depends for whom. I know people who moved to Monsey and then back to Brooklyn bec they were living in their cars, all week long. They said theyd rather have smaller houses and not be doing errands and carpooling all day.

I lived in 5T 8 years ago and never walked to the supermarket. And what’s up with the quarters, do they still have parking meters? I did not like that stress!
In Lakewood I drive to the store on Friday for last minute Shabbos groceries and order for the week every Sunday or Monday online. Rarely go to a store. But believe me stores will open in Toms River, I hear seasons already is.

Pricing of Toms River houses gets you a lot more bang for your buck than in Lawrence.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I for one would explain it as the mindset and environment in TR, Jackson, etc is much less hoity toity than Lawrence. While the houses might be as big, it’s a much more down to earth attitude in my opinion.

It’s possible, I guess it depends on the crowd. I live in Jackson and am totally comfortable with everyone around here, but when I’m in Five Towns it does seem a bit more chilled. My aunt from Brooklyn says she feels she has to dress up when she comes to Lakewood.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:04 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
It’s possible, I guess it depends on the crowd. I live in Jackson and am totally comfortable with everyone around here, but when I’m in Five Towns it does seem a bit more chilled. My aunt from Brooklyn says she feels she has to dress up when she comes to Lakewood.

I feel the same way

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You’re clueless about housing. You can’t compare Lawrence and TR. it’s two different worlds.
Are you in the market for Lawrence real estate? If you are, I suggest you speak to agents and understand the demographic that lives there. I get the feeling that it might not be your crowd

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:22 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
You’re clueless about housing. You can’t compare Lawrence and TR. it’s two different worlds.
Are you in the market for Lawrence real estate? If you are, I suggest you speak to agents and understand the demographic that lives there. I get the feeling that it might not be your crowd

Oy

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:25 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I feel the same way

Yup this is what I was referring to.. where I live in five towns I def feel it’s chilled out. Go to gourmet glatt on. A Tuesday and many women in tichels and super chilled out clothing. Plenty on kids in target/hm clothing. Shabbos afternoon my boys wear white polos. In Toms River/Lakewood I would never go to a supermarket in a tichel.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:30 pm
Is Lawrence the five towns ?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:35 pm
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
Is Lawrence the five towns ?

It’s one of the five towns. The five towns are Lawrence, cedarhurst, woodmere, inwood, Hewlett. and north woodmere which isn’t technically one of the five towns but is considered part of the five towns. Also far rockaway is the same area.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:36 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
Yup this is what I was referring to.. where I live in five towns I def feel it’s chilled out. Go to gourmet glatt on. A Tuesday and many women in tichels and super chilled out clothing. Plenty on kids in target/hm clothing. Shabbos afternoon my boys wear white polos. In Toms River/Lakewood I would never go to a supermarket in a tichel.

The only fancy things people wear to gourmet Glatt in cedarhurst is fur coats Smile

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:37 pm
It’s one of the five towns. The five towns are Lawrence, cedarhurst, woodmere, inwood, Hewlett. and north woodmere which isn’t technically one of the five towns but is considered part of the five towns. Also far rockaway is the same area.

North Woodmere is part of Valley Stream.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:58 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
North Woodmere is part of Valley Stream.

Correct like I said it’s not officially part of the five towns but in frumspeak a person from north woodmere would say I live in the five towns

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:08 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Ok, so that's you.
However, people that want LARGE, NEWISH houses and a nice amount of land have a pull to Toms River over Lawrence.
You asked what pulls them.
They get more bang for their buck

I’m not familiar with Tom’s River or the housing market there, but I can tell you that if I were to sell my 2,800+ soft house on a .25 acre in Far Rockaway tomorrow, I would not be able to find a comparable house and lot in Lawrence, or really anywhere in the 5T. I have 7 bedrooms on 3 floors, a spacious living room dining room and kitchen, and a huge front and back yard.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:37 pm
Correct like I said it’s not officially part of the five towns but in frumspeak a person from north woodmere would say I live in the five towns

Really? The people I know who live in NW quite very much like that they don’t live in the 5T and they say they live in NW.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:42 pm
Op, you’re pretty clueless.
Houses in TR are not nearly the same price range as in Lawrence.
Lawrence is old money, solid wealth.
TR is new money, way cheaper housing then Lawrence.
You’re also discussing things like walking to the supermarket. Why is that even a thing? Everyone has cars and stores deliver.
This whole conversation is all over the place and a little off.

Why the need for nastiness?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:44 pm

Again? What’s with your attitude?
Let me guess, you live in Lawrence?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics