Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Houses in Toms River are getting to be as expensive as Lawre
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:47 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
I’m not familiar with Tom’s River or the housing market there, but I can tell you that if I were to sell my 2,800+ soft house on a .25 acre in Far Rockaway tomorrow, I would not be able to find a comparable house and lot in Lawrence, or really anywhere in the 5T. I have 7 bedrooms on 3 floors, a spacious living room dining room and kitchen, and a huge front and back yard.

You quoted my post, but your agreeing with me.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:03 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Really? The people I know who live in NW quite very much like that they don’t live in the 5T and they say they live in NW.

Same, and if you ask them where NW is, many will say NEAR the 5T

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:53 pm
Apparently Lawrence people think they’re the only ones that have “real solid” wealth Wink
Maybe Lawrence people can solve the tuition crisis lol

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 7:28 pm
Same, and if you ask them where NW is, many will say NEAR the 5T

Lol I live in north woodmere. It’s practically the five towns

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
Lol I live in north woodmere. It’s practically the five towns

I know where it is, my point was that no one I know who lives there SAYS they live in the 5T, they all say they live NEAR the 5T

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:14 pm
I know where it is, my point was that no one I know who lives there SAYS they live in the 5T, they all say they live NEAR the 5T

And I’m saying that that is not what I see at all as someone who actually lives in north woodmere. We all consider ourselves to live in the five towns.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:25 pm

I live in inwood. I tell people I live in inwood and not in the 5T. Most people don’t even know where it is or that it is in fact one of the the 5T.

P.S no way can u buy a semi decent house in Lawrence for the prices of Toms River. Even if you’d pay 1.2 million you’d get a shack.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:27 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
I live in inwood. I tell people I live in inwood and not in the 5T. Most people don’t even know where it is or that it is in fact one of the the 5T.
so if someone asks me where I live I’ll say north woodmere. If it’s not someone from the area I’ll either say north woodmere, or five towns if they don’t know where or what that is. My point is it’s very much considered living in the five towns

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:28 pm
Who else is thinking Carrie Astor and Gladys russel right now?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:34 pm
so if someone asks me where I live I’ll say north woodmere. If it’s not someone from the area I’ll either say north woodmere, or five towns if they don’t know where or what that is. My point is it’s very much considered living in the five towns

Agreed

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:42 pm
Yup this is what I was referring to.. where I live in five towns I def feel it’s chilled out. Go to gourmet glatt on. A Tuesday and many women in tichels and super chilled out clothing. Plenty on kids in target/hm clothing. Shabbos afternoon my boys wear white polos. In Toms River/Lakewood I would never go to a supermarket in a tichel.

Lakewood gourmet glatt also has many women in tichels. I don’t put on a wig to go to the grocery.

Plenty, large majority of us, are in target and H&M clothing.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:44 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
Lakewood gourmet glatt also has many women in tichels. I don’t put on a wig to go to the grocery.

Plenty, large majority of us, are in target and H&M clothing.

Exactly. When I lived in five towns I stood out in my cheap car, cheap clothing, never going on fancy vacations, living in a rental, not making over the top birthdays. Toms river is way more chilled in every single way. I go shopping in my snood and dressed down clothing in lakewood and at least half the store looks like me.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Exactly. When I lived in five towns I stood out in my cheap car, cheap clothing, never going on fancy vacations, living in a rental, not making over the top birthdays. Toms river is way more chilled in every single way. I go shopping in my snood and dressed down clothing in lakewood and at least half the store looks like me.

Really? I don't live in Lakewood but I was in GG in the winter on a random weekday wearing a tichel and I definitely stood out. I was one of the only ones not in a shaitel.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:47 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Really? I don't live in Lakewood but I was in GG in the winter on a random weekday wearing a tichel and I definitely stood out. I was one of the only ones not in a shaitel.

I go to many stores every day in a snood. I am never the only one and I don't feel I stand out. Maybe you felt that way but it wasn't actually that way...

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:49 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
I go to many stores every day in a snood. I am never the only one and I don't feel I stand out. Maybe you felt that way but it wasn't actually that way...

It wasn't a feeling, it was simply the reality at the time I was there. I was curious about this particular detail and looked at everyone I passed to see how common a tichel was. It was rare.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:05 pm
It's a huge difference location wise. Lawrence is right outside new York city. You still have all of the busyness and congestion that comes with that. If not for Lakewood toms river would be basically in the middle of nowhere.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:13 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:

There are two GG in Lakewood. I have a feeling you're talking about GG North, GG South is IME more chilled.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:48 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Apparently Lawrence people think they’re the only ones that have “real solid” wealth Wink
Maybe Lawrence people can solve the tuition crisis lol

I don’t live in Lawrence or even in Ny, but have lots of friends that do.
Yes they actually do solve the tuition problem.
The schools in 5 towns are all top of the line. Beautiful buildings. Excellent education. Keep expanding to make room for every single child.
Yes give credit where credit is due to the incredible gvirim who support their own city and beyond.

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:17 am
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
The schools in 5 towns are all top of the line. Beautiful buildings. Excellent education. Keep expanding to make room for every single child.
Yes give credit where credit is due to the incredible gvirim who support their own city and beyond.

This is true. The tzedaka in the 5 towns is unmatched.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 8:20 am
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:

Most of the five towns student body can pay full tuition. The average salary is much higher than other frum communities. The rich people are richer than other communities. You can’t compare. And I would hope that they would be giving tzedakah.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics