Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Need financial help!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:21 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
In response to RSK suggestion:

THEY CHARGE $600 FOR THEIR SERVICE AND ONLY TELL YOU THIS AFTER YOU MUSTERED UP THE COURAGE TO SPILL YOUR GUTS TO THEM

Yup! I bared my heart and then went away empty handed.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:21 pm
Heres Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser:
http://www.rabbidovidgoldwasser.com/contact/

Please reach out to the local Rebbetzin and bikur cholim they also help with therapy costs - we BH have entire networks helping people pls reach out

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:23 pm
Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser is the Rav of Khal Bnei Yitzchok in Brooklyn, New York. He is a prominent Torah personality, syndicated columnist, daily radio commentator, and acclaimed speaker, known for his exceptional ability to captivate and inspire audiences worldwide. His lectures are accessed around the globe by thousands of people through select media outlets.

Rabbi Goldwasser has traveled extensively, including numerous trips to Eastern Europe, connecting with individuals from every background and greatly impacting their communities.
Rabbi Goldwasser serves on the faculty of Touro College.

A popular author of over a dozen books, Rabbi Goldwasser is a recognized expert in the field of mental health. Topics include: inspirational stories of faith and encouragement, Torah insights on various topics, addictions and eating disorders.

With a perceptive understanding of and sensitivity for each individual, Rav Goldwasser is frequently consulted on numerous issues. He spends countless hours counseling students, couples and families who seek guidance and direction in life.

Rabbi Goldwasser has received the Agudath Israel of America Communal Service Award, Award for Outstanding Service to the Jewish Community from the Board of Jewish Education, Distinguished Rabbinic Leadership Award from Jerusalem Reclamation Project, the Humanitarian Award from Beth Torah Organization of the Deaf, and the Special Achievement Award from the HEED Prevention Program for Young Adults.

Rabbi Goldwasser serves on the advisory board of Big Brother/Big Sister, HEED Prevention Program for Young Adults, Shalom Task Force, the Mentoring Program of the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office. He is a member of the faculty of The University Without Walls, and serves on the rabbinical board of: ChesedNet, Misaskim, Project SPARK, and MASK (Mothers and Fathers Aligned Saving Children).

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Heres Rabbi Dovid Goldwasser:
http://www.rabbidovidgoldwasser.com/contact/

Please reach out to the local Rebbetzin and bikur cholim they also help with therapy costs - we BH have entire networks helping people pls reach out

I'll try Rabbi Goldwasser. Thanks.

I bh get most therapy costs covered through insurance. What people don't realize is that there's so much more than just therapy costs. And I also need to provide for myself and my other children singlehandedly. There's got to be something out there to fund more than just therapy. I wish there was...

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:26 pm
Regarding rent, see if you can qualify for a one-time ERAP payment
Nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'll try Rabbi Goldwasser. Thanks.

I bh get most therapy costs covered through insurance. What people don't realize is that there's so much more than just therapy costs. And I also need to provide for myself and my other children singlehandedly. There's got to be something out there to fund more than just therapy. I wish there was...

What are these other costs you keep mentioning? Maybe there is an organization or resource for those costs. Most organizations wont give for credit card bills or "life expenses" because those are never ending and it isnt specifically for the patient.
Yeah, I know, your kid needs a roof over their head too but that would be whether or not they have special needs/mental health struggles etc. But organizations are more likely to help with a specific therapy, medication copays, programs... something concretely tied to their specific need.

What isn't covered by insurance?
Is there a way to lower your living expenses to the bare minimum?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:37 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
What are these other costs you keep mentioning? Maybe there is an organization or resource for those costs. Most organizations wont give for credit card bills or "life expenses" because those are never ending and it isnt specifically for the patient.
Yeah, I know, your kid needs a roof over their head too but that would be whether or not they have special needs/mental health struggles etc. But organizations are more likely to help with a specific therapy, medication copays, programs... something concretely tied to their specific need.

What isn't covered by insurance?
Is there a way to lower your living expenses to the bare minimum?

I'm not ready to explain on a public forum all the details. I'm sure most mothers with struggling teens would know what it means to support a struggling child. Let's just say, I've tried to cut back on everything already. For now, I'm looking for resources if anyone knows where I can get financial aid. All ideas of going through insurance, cutting back and all that, I'm already doing it...

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:39 pm
Speak with the community Rabbi and he can get you in touch with whoever you need to contact- yes an organization will pay the therapist or whomever directly they on policy will not give out money the funds will be paid out to the therapist.

As far as struggling to financially support yourself and family- maybe they can help you find a cheaper place to live or food tomechei shabbos or other assistance....

Lots of luck the org nowadays doesn't really hand out money they won't pay your bills...

It has to go to food, rent they'd pay directly if absolutely necessary (and not on luxuries obviously)...

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:44 pm
Wow, op has to explain herself again and again. She is in a miserable situation. I believe her. No one wants financial aid from tzedakah. Her situation is so dire that she has no choice but to post this publicly and beg like this. I'm so sorry op.

If you open a chesed fund page I'll donate something.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:45 pm
If there are friends or family that can get involved- help you help your family that's ideal, things like entertainment, shoping, phones and stuff.. I don't know if these would be covered but a Friend or family would help cover those costs ... try to have your teen start working might be helpful confidence building and they'd get pocket change.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not ready to explain on a public forum all the details. I'm sure most mothers with struggling teens would know what it means to support a struggling child. Let's just say, I've tried to cut back on everything already. For now, I'm looking for resources if anyone knows where I can get financial aid. All ideas of going through insurance, cutting back and all that, I'm already doing it...

I get it. Trust me. I am just saying if you can explain a little more than saying "I need money, point me to someone who can give me some to pay off my bills" then maybe we can try to pinpoint specific resources. No organization just hands out cash as far as I know. They might pay for one of the extra costs you mention your struggling child has. But in general it needs to be a "thing", not just credit card bills. Unfortunately too many people out there will abuse the tzeddakahs. I worked for one and while I didnt make the decisions on finances, some people who called up expected that because they fit the criteria to be a client (eg disability) they should get everything and anything. And abused the organization's goodwill that they had to cut back on what they could do because it was stopping them from running. They had to set strict limits on what they would cover and help with.
Unfortunately people abuse tzeddakahs so people who really deserve and need help cant get it. Generic financial aid is not something I have heard of.
While cash can be more helpful in the long run, having an organization cover an expense can free up some money to pay the debt etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:12 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Wow, op has to explain herself again and again. She is in a miserable situation. I believe her. No one wants financial aid from tzedakah. Her situation is so dire that she has no choice but to post this publicly and beg like this. I'm so sorry op.

If you open a chesed fund page I'll donate something.

Thank you so much! Someone is finally getting me! I'm scrambling on my hands and knees and I've tried everything already. No, I don't have to have things paid directly to me. I'll be more than thrilled if someone pays my rent for a few months so I can get back on my feet again. Thanks for understanding!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:17 pm
Thank you everyone for all ideas. Asking family, requesting specifics expenses be paid etc etc etc. I know it all. All I'm asking, is if someone knows of a contact where I can reach out to. I can explain my needs to that contact. Ideas I've tried all already...

For the one that suggested Rabbi Goldwasser, I already emailed him, so thank you! That's helpful, as it's a resource for me to reach out to. I can explain situation to him without needing to give all details to all imamothers.

I really appreciate it all, not trying to be ungrateful. But for now, I have enough advice. I need contacts/resources. Thanks!

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:38 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov

Also, if you have Medicaid, you may qualify for a one-shot deal for your rent via HRA/DSS.
Check access.nyc.gov for more info.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:21 pm
Also, if you have Medicaid, you may qualify for a one-shot deal for your rent via HRA/DSS.
Check access.nyc.gov for more info.

Not the op but can you elaborate a bit on the bolded. What is this program about? I tried searching but nothing came up. Is this a program for NYC only?

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:24 pm
Nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov

I was going to post this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:25 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Not the op but can you elaborate a bit on the bolded. What is this program about? I tried searching but nothing came up. Is this a program for NYC only?

It's a one shot deal from HRA, NY public assistance.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

HRA is Human Resources Administration
DSS is Dept of Social Services
They're the umbrella organization that oversees a bunch of NYC programs

If you have Medicaid, vouchers, food stamps, etc. then you can set up an online account via access.nyc.gov
Once on their website, you can apply for more/other forms of assistance. There are also phone numbers amd walk-in centers you can visit, but those depend on where you live.

hayag1

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:16 pm
if you'd like to pm your zelle info or post a chesed fund link, I would love to donate a bit to help out

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:24 pm
hayag1 wrote:
if you'd like to pm your zelle info or post a chesed fund link, I would love to donate a bit to help out

I'm touched. Thank you so much!
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics