Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Maimonides is on the verge of bankruptcy, why no other hospi
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:05 pm
Maimonides is on the verge of bankruptcy, but why are no other hospitals at risk of bankruptcy? All hospitals have greedy CEOs etc. and are mismanaged to varying degrees.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/05/.....apse/

Any chance someone or a politically strong group is blackening the Maimonides name and looking for Maimonides to close, so they can buy the hospital and all the surrounding property? I wouldnt be surprised.

Boro Parkers are running out of places to build.

Is the plan to straighten out Maimonides and make patients happier, or to close Maimonides?

What if we're left with no hospital in the immediate area?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 07 2022, 11:51 pm
A politically strong group???? Who would that be?

Mmc has all the medicaid patients or the illegals that don’t have insurance at all. The ones with good insurances go to better hospitals. That is why they are losing money every day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:05 am
flowerpower wrote:
A politically strong group???? Who would that be?

Mmc has all the medicaid patients or the illegals that don’t have insurance at all. The ones with good insurances go to better hospitals. That is why they are losing money every day.

With that theory, then all hospitals besides the prestigious ones, wont last long either.

Are you saying that NYU, Lenox Hill and Mount Sinai dont have a similar percentage of Medicaid patients? This is NYC, the bulk of NYC population have Medicaid.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:20 am
It's their own doing. I don't think anyone has an agenda other than having them shape up. Otherwise they should close.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 12:29 am
1.Medicad barely pays anything. 2. Illegals use the ER as their doctors office. They don't pay a cent! They have no resources or money that can be liened or have bank accounts frozen.
People with good insurance, make sure to steer clear of MMC.

Just One

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:04 am
Why do people with good insurance streer clear of Maimonides? Right, because the care there is terrible. The lack of a well paying clientele is not the reason for the hospital's financial woes, it is a symptom of the hospital's chronic mismanagement that l led to lack of proper patient care.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:30 am
So could we get a "frum" hospital?

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:38 am
Another example of a Chossid Shoite. To all those who support open borders with no regulations because you have “pity” on those illegals.
They are slowly collapsing the medical system for legal, tax paying, good citizens. This is fake kindness. This is Rachmanos on Reshaim.

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 7:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Maimonides is on the verge of bankruptcy, but why are no other hospitals at risk of bankruptcy? All hospitals have greedy CEOs etc. and are mismanaged to varying degrees.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/05/.....apse/

Any chance someone or a politically strong group is blackening the Maimonides name and looking for Maimonides to close, so they can buy the hospital and all the surrounding property? I wouldnt be surprised.

Boro Parkers are running out of places to build.

Is the plan to straighten out Maimonides and make patients happier, or to close Maimonides?

What if we're left with no hospital in the immediate area?

Do you believe that some real estate magnates have no easier or more profitable deal to run after than trying to get Maimonides to close in the hopes that (1) they will be the ones to buy it and (2) they will be able to get the city to allow them to change the zoning and deed restrictions on the properties for some other purpose?

If real estate near Maimonides was really so hot, then the apartment houses near it wouldn't have had vacancies for so long. Why doesn't this politically strong group try to buy those apartment houses (all owned by the same people) instead?

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:02 am
Just One wrote:
Why do people with good insurance streer clear of Maimonides? Right, because the care there is terrible. The lack of a well paying clientele is not the reason for the hospital's financial woes, it is a symptom of the hospital's chronic mismanagement that l led to lack of proper patient care.

Have you seen the Emergency Room?? !!! It is packed. There are too many people to be treated at once. It was never that way. So people with good insurance, don't want to have to deal with that. All you are left with is with Medicad clientle, where Good Hospitals, don't accept that insurance. and non-paying illegals. The hospital cannot handle the load, of free-loaders.

librarygirl

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:03 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Another example of a Chossid Shoite. To all those who support open borders with no regulations because you have “pity” on those illegals.
They are slowly collapsing the medical system for legal, tax paying, good citizens. This is fake kindness. This is Rachmanos on Reshaim.

I agree with you that the united states should take care of itself first, and we should not have open borders, but I can still have pity for people who have very hard lives and are trying to improve them. I don't think someone who is poor and sick and goes to the ER for care is a "rasha".

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:09 am
librarygirl wrote:
I agree with you that the united states should take care of itself first, and we should not have open borders, but I can still have pity for people who have very hard lives and are trying to improve them. I don't think someone who is poor and sick and goes to the ER for care is a "rasha".

Don’t twist my words. People who encourage the illegals first situation in our country are at fault. The illegals (many of them) are reshaim, nothing to do with the medical system.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:16 am
Which good hospitals in ny don't accept medicaid? The er at Columbia, Mt sinai, nyu and the other nyc hospitals are all jam-packed with medicaid patients. In fact, all their erase are like a zoo.

The difference is that the better hospitals manage to treat all these medicaid patients properly and still stay in business

amother
Red

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:21 am
amother Camellia wrote:
1.Medicad barely pays anything. 2. Illegals use the ER as their doctors office. They don't pay a cent! They have no resources or money that can be liened or have bank accounts frozen.
People with good insurance, make sure to steer clear of MMC.
I was there recently and the family near us came for a toothache!

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:26 am
This may be the real reason why Maimonides is struggling:

Quote:
Struggling NYC hospital pays brass fat salaries despite staffing, money woes:

Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn — which is hemorrhaging tens of millions of dollars and facing complaints of severe understaffing and a decline in care — is paying its CEO and five other top medical brass seven-figure salaries, The Post has learned.

Maimonides’ CEO Kenneth Gibbs saw his compensation skyrocket from $1.8 million to $3.2 million from 2019 to 2020, when the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic rocked the facility, according to not-for-profit financial records filed with the IRS.

Sources also questioned Gibbs’ presence at the hospital during the pandemic — he was recorded as voting absentee from his residence in Old Chatham, NY, in the upstate Berkshires in November 2020, not from his Central Park West apartment.

Meanwhile, Jacob Shani, chief of heart surgery, received $3.5 million; Patrick Borgen, department of surgery, $2 million; Greg Ribakove, chair of cardiothoracic surgery, $1.8 million; Robert Frankel, director of interventional cardiology, $1.7 million; and Alex Shaknovich, cardiologist, $1.7 million, records show.

Maimonides is Brooklyn’s largest hospital, serving Borough Park, Midwood and other sections of southern Brooklyn. It delivers more babies than any hospital in the city.

A Maimonides spokesperson admitted that the hospital is paying these large salaries and benefits despite experiencing “depressed inpatient and outpatient volume as well as increased costs, resulting in a net loss of $64.6 million through Q2 2021, and an operating budget projection of a $19.5 million loss for 2022.”

State records show the number of Maimonides patients treated and discharged dropped from 35,000 in 2019 to 30,000 in 2020.

“As Brooklyn’s largest hospital, we are committed to serving those in need during these trying and unpredictable times,” the hospital rep said.

Meanwhile, even Maimonides’ busy birthing unit is understaffed, the nurses’ union said.

“With 4 couplets [mother and baby] I am able to provide care to both mother and baby. Unfortunately, on the night shift, I have a caseload of 6 couplets. That’s why I call the RN staffing ‘very poor’ in the unit,” said Maimonides baby unit nurse Michelle Williams.

“To care for all the mothers and babies, we sometimes have to split the work. With couplets split up, I have ended up with as many as 15 babies assigned to me. This is wrong, because we run a risk of not getting all necessary care to the babies,” she added.

The New York State Nurses Association held a rally outside the hospital last week, accusing the hospital of dangerous understaffing.

At the same time, sources in Borough Park said more residents with means are now going for planned surgeries to hospitals in Manhattan rather than Maimonides, citing a decline in quality.

Maimonides received only a 1 star rating out of 5 in the most recent federal government report card for patient satisfaction and 2 out of 5 for overall care.

Through a spokesperson, the hospital defended Gibbs’ compensation and insisted the massive jump was the result of a reporting requirement and said his salary is “on par with counterparts” and is “well below” top dogs at the city’s largest public hospitals.

“Ken’s salary did not increase from 2019 to 2020; the increase in compensation reported on the 2020 Form 990 reflects a one-time payment pursuant to the terms of a supplemental executive retirement plan that occurred due to his vesting in the plan after five years of employment,” the spokesperson said.

The hospital rep insisted Gibbs, whose main address is Central Park West, was hands-on and at Maimonides during the worst of the pandemic.

“Ken voted via absentee ballot based on his secondary address in Old Chatham but has lived in New York City and worked at the hospital throughout the pandemic, including seven days a week during the height of the spring 2020 surge,” the rep insisted.

A source said he voted from his second address to help Democrat Antonio Delgado get elected to Congress in the Hudson Valley region.

Maimonides also defended the seven-figure pay for its top docs, saying it is “one of the top-rated heart and vascular care centers in the nation.”

“Providing that care is only possible through recruiting world-class physicians, and we are committed to retaining the best clinicians possible, including doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, to serve the Brooklyn community,” the hospital spokesperson said.

In its statement, Maimonides also said it is working “tirelessly” to maintain quality medical care “while addressing staff turnover and industry-wide shortages related to the pandemic.”

Maimonides said it has hired 140 new nurses over the past four months “to mitigate any staffing shortfalls” and enlisted several new “nurse educators” to train and support the new staffers.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/27/.....lems/

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:45 am
You want a frum hospital eh ? The last 30 plus years of college “bad” flipping real estate and going into Amazon business “good” There is probably less than a minyan of frum medical graduates and likely close to zero ppl that look like the MMC community that have the credentials to run a hospital. So you reap what you sow. You can’t run a hospital with a BTL and a 6 month online course degree. Which ethnic community has so few professional level Representation as the orthodox community that surrounds MMC.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:49 am
I don't live in ny but when we had an emergency this past summer in ny on a friday we were in and out in under 2 hours. So I am watching this story with interest. I was wondering the shtick I opened Bina magazine on shabbos and there was a 2 page ad save Maimondies that whole campaign 2 pages later 1 page add from Maimondies saying how they great they are with real patients saying there stories so trying to figure it out

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:54 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
You want a frum hospital eh ? The last 30 plus years of college “bad” flipping real estate and going into Amazon business “good” There is probably less than a minyan of frum medical graduates and likely close to zero ppl that look like the MMC community that have the credentials to run a hospital. So you reap what you sow. You can’t run a hospital with a BTL and a 6 month online course degree. Which ethnic community has so few professional level Representation as the orthodox community that surrounds MMC.

The people in the surrounding community who made millions off Amazon and real estate would do a lot better of a job managing the hospital than you and your snot nose college graduates.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 8:59 am
amother Jasmine wrote:

People are not going into medicine because it is no longer an attractive field for them, due to a lot of the healthcare mandates that were set in place after Obamacare. I know a Dr. with very bright children who went into various professions (not selling on Amazon) and none went into medicine. I know other doctors who retired earlier than they were supposed to, because it got to be too cumbersome and difficult to run a practice. The ones who stayed had to join larger organizations.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 9:05 am
amother Jasmine wrote:

If you’re jealous of them you can work with Amazon or flip houses too. Nebach.
And those people you hate with Sinas Chinam are perfectly capable in becoming top doctors if there’s a need. They keep proving it in every field.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries