Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What should I buy at Costco?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 12:48 pm
I go about once every couple of years tagging along with a relative who has a membership. We might be going today. I need some warm jackets and she said they have.

From past experiences I know there are a lot of random things there that I wouldn't have thought of... I can't spend hours browsing because neither of us has hours. Need a game plan. If it were spring then I know I'd be looking for bathing suits, for example. I don't know what they have currently. I also need a game plan because this is a tight time of year and I can't afford to just buy everything that looks good. I know in the past I've gone to costco for a couple of things and came out $500 lighter.

If you were in Costco recently can you please share what's for sale now that's a great buy?

Also a few years ago in the fall I got these yummy velour sweatshirts. Do you know if they have those currently?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:06 pm
Do you want ideas for basics other than clothes? I’ve never bought clothing there, but I can share my other frequent purchases.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:10 pm
We usually buy large packs of toilet paper and paper towels and tissues, detergent, Ziplocs, cleaning supplies, canola and olive oil, vanilla, PAM or the Kirkland equivalent, mustard, cereals, snacks for school, pasta, ketchup, cans of beans..

We look at the clothing but don't always find something. Recently we bought some pajamas and my son got a sweatshirt/jacket for the fall from Eddie Bauer.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:27 pm
I'm open to any buying advice, but specifically things whose price or quality is significantly better at costco because my budget is very thin right now. So if the advantage is small then I wouldn't bother but if you've looked into it and the toilet paper etc is way better there than on amazon or the like then that would be good to know.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:32 pm
Their produce is excellent quality - for the most part better than a supermarket and a good value.

People also have bought their whole sides of salmon - but that is more controversial

Their snacks like pretzels and chips are a great price. If you use the little bags types of snacks they also have a good assortment of those.

The prices and quality of nuts and dried fruit is excellent.

If your drink coffee their Kirkland brand is Starbucks and is very good as well.

I have never bought clothing there as I think one can do just as well if not better at a place like Target if price is your sole consideration.

momX4

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:35 pm
I like the frozen Kirkland salmon. I take out as much as I need.

I stock up on lense solutions, tampons, body wash and shampoo when its on sale

Coffee ground, garbage bags, Pam, detergent can be alot cheaper in Costco

I love their 9×13 pans. They are alot stronger than the ones my grocery sells

I buy snacks. Lays chips(they have a box of snack size bags), oreos, granola bars

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:46 pm
Even if you are not a member, you can go to the costco.com website and get a sense of what is available.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:46 pm
Diapers and tissues are on sale now

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:47 pm
Also their batteries are an excellent value and are actually manufactured by Duracell

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:47 pm
I don’t know what you should buy , but I’ll tell you what I buy
Frozen salmon
Pizza bagels
Ammnons pizza if they have
Eggs
Milk
Body wash & shampoo
Gold potatoes
Other produce
Some cereals
Some snacks
Diet Coke (cans )
Cream cheese
Frozen string beans
Beyond burgers

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:00 pm
I am a loyal and dedicated Costco shopper.

Chicken cutlets-$5.49/lb, if you eat Empire.
Salmon in the blue/black wrapper with an Kof -K I believe (the frozen farm IQF is also great. We don’t like the frozen wild and I am not comfortable eating the regular and rinsing it although I don’t have a halachic issue and eat it at my friend’s house)

Shredded cheese-it was on sale last week but moldy-you need to check the package and freeze it.
Other cheese. Love the arnica Feta, but they don’t always have.

Toilet paper/tissues/paper towels
Parchment paper
Aluminum foil
Dixie plates
Pads/tampons-I believe they are $4 off now as well. (I know nothing about diapers, no little ones in my home)

Produce is very well priced for quality, but is a lot and you pay more per pound than cheap produce.

Soda-you can do better on sale at a supermarket (soda is also all HFCS-referring back to the honey thead)

Vanilla, honey, spices, almonds/nuts.

Kirkland strawberry jelly is amazing.

Pajamas, cloths, sketcher black sneakers. (Assuming you are not going today in Bergen County)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:13 pm
No idea how prices vary but I went to Costco 2 weeks ago and their frozen salmon had shot up to 32.99 for the 3 lb bag!
Chicken cutlets were also up (maybe 11.49 for the 2 lbs?)
Our shredded cheese never goes on sale 😥

A few years ago I got great pillows from there. If you need new towels, they have good ones. Disposable water bottles are very cheap there. Big bag of green beans... Tilapia if they have...

ETA: also maple syrup...I don't know why I can't think of everything I stock up on there
If you make challah, the vacuum packed yeast is way cheaper than the packets

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:47 pm
Peanut butter (only place we can find a decent one without sugar)
Maple Syrup
Tnuva Feta Cheese from sheep - can't find it in regular grocery store

SuperWify

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:19 pm
Towels
Detergent
Roll of parchment
Roll of silver foil
Garbage bags
Tissues

librarygirl

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:42 pm
Some things I can't buy anywhere else because they are so much cheaper there.
Garbage bags
Hot cups
Orange juice
Water bottles
Vanilla extract
Franks in blanks
Coffee
Peppers
Grapes
Blueberries
Strawberry

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I go about once every couple of years tagging along with a relative who has a membership. We might be going today. I need some warm jackets and she said they have.

From past experiences I know there are a lot of random things there that I wouldn't have thought of... I can't spend hours browsing because neither of us has hours. Need a game plan. If it were spring then I know I'd be looking for bathing suits, for example. I don't know what they have currently. I also need a game plan because this is a tight time of year and I can't afford to just buy everything that looks good. I know in the past I've gone to costco for a couple of things and came out $500 lighter.

If you were in Costco recently can you please share what's for sale now that's a great buy?

Also a few years ago in the fall I got these yummy velour sweatshirts. Do you know if they have those currently?

Am I the only one who’s found that they don’t really have many bargains?

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:58 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Am I the only one who’s found that they don’t really have many bargains?

Agree. I don’t think their stuff is a good deal for the most part. Like snacks.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:35 pm
Many of the Costco staple items periodically go on sale (from their regular prices). It really pays to stock up then.

We joined for their glasses, which are very reasonable (and highly recommended).

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 5:39 pm
Plastic silver cutlery(impressions) and their hard plastic plate sets for sukkos seudahs

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:09 pm
A lot of things aren't cheaper... You do have to look carefully at the price.

Parchment paper there is reasonably priced and KLP
I also like the precut foil and 2 packs of regular foil.

Ecos detergent for sensitive skin

Kosher dishwasher pods
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics