Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pepper steak without sauce? (does not need to use peppers)

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:17 am
DH is on a no-sugar, no-added-sauces diet. He needs protein. We've done a lot of chicken and fish lately, it's time for meat. I happen to have some pepper steak in the freezer. Would be great to use what I already have. But the only recipes I know involving pepper steak use sauces that would not be allowed for him. Is there any way to make pepper steak good without sauce or do we need to wait for one of the looser diet days? (due to the frequent holidays this month, we're temporarily on a cycle of austerity and eating. After yom tov we go to a more stable, moderate routine. This is as per a top nutritionist, very premeditated.)

Stars

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:31 am
I cook them low and slow with water, onions, garlic, carrots, salt and pepper.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:33 am
seeker wrote:
DH is on a no-sugar, no-added-sauces diet. He needs protein. We've done a lot of chicken and fish lately, it's time for meat. I happen to have some pepper steak in the freezer. Would be great to use what I already have. But the only recipes I know involving pepper steak use sauces that would not be allowed for him. Is there any way to make pepper steak good without sauce or do we need to wait for one of the looser diet days? (due to the frequent holidays this month, we're temporarily on a cycle of austerity and eating. After yom tov we go to a more stable, moderate routine. This is as per a top nutritionist, very premeditated.)

My husband sautés vegetables (onion, fresh garlic, tomatoes, black olives sometimes) all chopped really small, then browns the meat and mixes it all together. My kids love it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:47 am
Sauté 2 onions, 2 peppers, 3 garlic cloves in oil; brown meat. Add 1 1/4 cups water and 2 tsp salt (for 2 lbs meat). Simmer 2.5 hours on very low flame, checking occasionally to see if it needs more liquid. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
If corn starch is allowed, during the last few minutes of cooking add a slurry (2 tbsp corn starch mixed and dissolved in 2 tbsp cold water); raise heat and mix until gravy is thickened.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:51 am
No starch. No carbs period. Including carby vegetables so probably no carrots either. I guess I'll try it with just the water...

I don't think I have 2.5 hours today though so maybe a different time or maybe I'll just make it on yom tov a saucier way. Unless maybe instant pot is an option? It's that or go to the store after work and grab some regular steak. This diet is getting expensive but a man's gotta eat.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 10:36 am
Update: It was pretty good but not amazing. If I do it again I'll try to start earlier and not use the instant pot just in case that made a difference. But really I think you just need more ingredients to get bomb flavor Sad

teachkids

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:02 am
My go to low sugar, no veggie sauce is :
Balsamic vinegar, dash of soy sauce, a tiny bit of honey, duck sauce or brown sugar (if you can), garlic.

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:17 am
The only things I can use from that are vinegar and garlic. Maybe vinegar will help next time...idk

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:03 pm
seeker wrote:
No starch. No carbs period. Including carby vegetables so probably no carrots either. I guess I'll try it with just the water...

I don't think I have 2.5 hours today though so maybe a different time or maybe I'll just make it on yom tov a saucier way. Unless maybe instant pot is an option? It's that or go to the store after work and grab some regular steak. This diet is getting expensive but a man's gotta eat.

Yes of course instant pot is an option.

This should work. Brown meat and veggies. Close the lid and steam valve on the instant pot.
Cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
Mix together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl and stir into the stew until thickened.

cbg

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 5:46 pm
seeker wrote:
The only things I can use from that are vinegar and garlic. Maybe vinegar will help next time...idk

Try ume plum vinegar
Are you allowed to marinate the meat
Olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, splash of vinegar
What about using braggs

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 10:40 pm
https://www.themagicalslowcook.....teak/
I left out the sweetener. And the pepper. Put in other veggies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics