Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
So exhausted from all this cooking.
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 6:41 pm
I have no koach to cook anymore. Who else feels like me. How are you getting on with your cooking for second days when u have zero strength.

DVOM

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:32 pm
I sooooo feel you!

We are going away for the second days to family and I'm so greatful. If we were home, it would scrambled eggs and noodles. I don't have any strength, interest, desire left in me to cook!

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:34 pm
I'm tired of it and we're tired of the food... I talked to DH about this today. We're not having guests so I'm just making soup and a few simple things... Dairy lunches and we'll cook on the stove as needed. Now I have to go to the supermarket and I'm dreading it šŸ˜”...

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:35 pm
I was just talking to friends about this IRL!
I am drained! And I don't have any more ideas of how to serve potatoes Hiding

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:36 pm
Yup huge burnout !

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:40 pm
I don't even want to eat anymore. I have a fridge full of raw food though that everyone is expecting to eat on yt so it will have to get cooked at some point

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 7:47 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I was just talking to friends about this IRL!
I am drained! And I don't have any more ideas of how to serve potatoes Hiding

It's not pesach. Make lo mein, cabbage & noodles, mushroom rice, wild rice, orzo, whatever.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:03 pm
Iā€™m sick and tired of fish soup, and potato kugel šŸ˜©

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have no koach to cook anymore. Who else feels like me. How are you getting on with your cooking for second days when u have zero strength.

Not drained at all BH because im literally on vacation at home-I cooked every single thing ahead of time, besides fish.
I work full time (40+hours weekly) and yomtov is my very very very needed vacation. So every year I start cooking 3 weeks before Rosh Hashana and freezing, and my family and friends all tell me im crazy and im working so hard for nothing and why dont I just cook on yomtov....and then every year all I do over yomtov is wake up, pop food on blech and in oven, Daven, eat, read, eat more, read more etc and it is pure bliss.
It was very crazy and hectic the month before, but definitely worth it for me

amother
Dill

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:18 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Not drained at all BH because im literally on vacation at home-I cooked every single thing ahead of time, besides fish.
I work full time (40+hours weekly) and yomtov is my very very very needed vacation. So every year I start cooking 3 weeks before Rosh Hashana and freezing, and my family and friends all tell me im crazy and im working so hard for nothing and why dont I just cook on yomtov....and then every year all I do over yomtov is wake up, pop food on blech and in oven, Daven, eat, read, eat more, read more etc and it is pure bliss.

Same here. I have one or 2 things to make but I did most of it weeks ago despite working full time.

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:39 pm
I made whatever I could in the summer while my kids were in camp but there's still a lot of food we want fresh. It's a tough challenge no doubt.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:45 pm
amother Quince wrote:

So you have the hectic period weeks before. It's not like its a solution to all the heavy cooking, you're just choosing to do it a different time. You have the heavy cooking weeks in September, we have it in October. Either way, we all have weeks where there is heavy cooking and it takes a toll.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:56 pm
amother Quince wrote:

It's a lot of cooking whether you do it this month or last.
My mother always cooked on Yom tov and honestly I didn't that the last stressful. No cooking for 5 meals at a time. My husband doesn't like to keep flames and ovens on so that doesn't happen around here.
There are limited foods that taste ok frozen and reheated. Kugels (some), meat, chicken (only some), challah, soup, dessert. Still needing to cook fresh: fish, grains, salads, dips, any potato or pastry dishes and vegetables.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 8:59 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
So you have the hectic period weeks before. It's not like its a solution to all the heavy cooking, you're just choosing to do it a different time. You have the heavy cooking weeks in September, we have it in October. Either way, we all have weeks where there is heavy cooking and it takes a toll.

Huge difference. Im cooking when life is already busy, so it just gets busier.
Cooking on yomtov, when you could be off from all of life's other pressures like jobs, school etc is different. To me, I would feel so much more resentful if I was cooking when guests/kids/others were having time off

By cooking earlier, I set it up that I actually have pure vacation right now, whereas if I had not cooked weeks before, I would not have been on vacation then, or now.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:01 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:

Duplicate

Highstrung

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:04 pm
Iā€™m sick and tired of it. It really takes away from having any feelings of Simchas Yom Tov.
I decided that we will do dairy for Shemini Atzeres night to change things up. I know itā€™s preferable to eat fleishigs butā€¦.

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:05 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
It's a lot of cooking whether you do it this month or last.
My mother always cooked on Yom tov and honestly I didn't that the last stressful. No cooking for 5 meals at a time. My husband doesn't like to keep flames and ovens on so that doesn't happen around here.
There are limited foods that taste ok frozen and reheated. Kugels (some), meat, chicken (only some), challah, soup, dessert. Still needing to cook fresh: fish, grains, salads, dips, any potato or pastry dishes and vegetables.

Potato dishes and pastry can be frozen as long as they are defrosted properly.
I make mashed potato based dishes and puff pastry (knishes, deli roll, bourekas) in advance and people swear it tastes fresh. Also potato kugel and veggie kugels-you just need to defrost it the right way! Grain based--challah, pastas, muffins, cookoes, cakes, all freeze beautifully.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:05 pm
PeanutMama wrote:
Iā€™m sick and tired of fish soup, and potato kugel šŸ˜©

Feel free to change your menu, you don't HAVE to serve those things.

And honestly, I'm sick of yom tov, in general. I hate chol hamoed. It's like 4 sundays in a row...

It's an endless cycle of cooking, serving, cleaning, and kvetching. But I don't have to love it. I do it for Hashem because He loves it. That's okay. I'm human with human failings.

PeanutMama

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:11 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Feel free to change your menu, you don't HAVE to serve those things.

And honestly, I'm sick of yom tov, in general. I hate chol hamoed. It's like 4 sundays in a row...

It's an endless cycle of cooking, serving, cleaning, and kvetching. But I don't have to love it. I do it for Hashem because He loves it. That's okay. I'm human with human failings.

My husband prefers ā€œtraditional foodsā€ so I canā€™t exactly change the whole menuā€¦
He already brought the fish and chicken šŸ˜¬

Not_in_my_town

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:19 pm
PeanutMama wrote:
My husband prefers ā€œtraditional foodsā€ so I canā€™t exactly change the whole menuā€¦
He already brought the fish and chicken šŸ˜¬

Cook it a different way.

Salmon? Instead of sweet fish, bake it with some fish spice, lemon and oil. Yum.

Chicken on the bone? Don't roast it. Make southern fried chicken. Shake n' bake. Whatever.

Make it less boring. Take some recipes that you grew up with and serve them. There's more than one way to cook a chicken... Smile

Your husband will get his chicken on the bone, you'll get some flavor.

Add some side dishes for yourself that you enjoy. Eat what you want, while honoring his desires.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics