Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Do you sit in the sukka on shmini atzeres?
1  2  Next

do you sit in the sukka on shmini atzeret?
yes I am chassidish  
 5%  [ 9 ]
yes I am lubavitch  
 18%  [ 31 ]
yes I am non chassidish ashkenaz  
 34%  [ 56 ]
yes I am non chassidish sefard  
 6%  [ 11 ]
no I am chassidish  
 18%  [ 30 ]
no I am chabad  
 0%  [ 0 ]
no I am non chassidish ashkenaz  
 14%  [ 24 ]
no I am non chassidish sefard  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 164

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 5:53 pm
what is your background? and which chassidus do you belong to if you are?

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 11:57 am
No, I do not. I am dati leumi.

I did not vote in your poll because there was no suitable option. Not everyone on this board is chassidish.

a2z

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:17 pm
Quote:

I did not vote in your poll because there was no suitable option. Not everyone on this board is chassidish.

Non chasidish ashkenaz or sfard?
That's not good for you?

a2z

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:19 pm
I voted no because I'm in Israel

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:26 pm
a2z wrote:
Quote:

Non chasidish ashkenaz or sfard?
That's not good for you?

My bad! Voting completed Smile

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:31 pm
Generally, no. DL, Israel. I've learned one isn't supposed to, unless the sukka is invalidated somehow.
Last year, our small children made such a terrible fuss about it that we ate in the sukka once more just to get them to calm down.

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:57 pm
In Israel where Shmini Azeres and Simchas Torah are one day, no one eats in the succah.

In America where they are split into two days, some people eat in the succah for Shmini Atzeres but no one does for Simchas Torah.

We had this question the first time my relatives came to me for succos. They were keeping two days and wanted to eat in the succah on Shmini Atzeres. We were eating inside because it was Simchas Torah for us.
Rav Elyashiv held that people from chu"l keeping two days in Israel should not eat in the succah on Shmini Atzeres but other poskim disagree with him.

Shuly

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 12:59 pm
I didn't vote because my answer would be No - Israeli.

Before I moved to Israel, I did eat in the succah on Shmini Atzeres - non-chassidish Ashkenaz.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 1:17 pm
I voted yes, because that was our minhag when we lived in chutz la'aretz.
When I have a separate Shmini Atzeret, I sit in the sukkah on Shmini Atzeret.
But in Israel Shmini Atzeret and Simchat Torah are the same day, and the minhag is not to sit in the sukkah that day, so now I don't.
Lubavitch. (And I found it interesting that for the "yes" option you wrote "Lubavitch" and for the "no" option you wrote "Chabad.")

juggling

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 1:33 pm
The reason some sit in the sukkah on sh'mini atzeret in chutz laaretz is because of sfeka d'yoma. Same reason why an extra day is added in chul, and why two days' musaf paragraphs are said in chul. Because in the days before we had a set calendar the people in chul didn't always get the message about Rosh chodesh in time. So since shmini atzeret *might* in theory be the seventh day, rather than the eighth, some sit in the sukkah. In Israel it is definitely the eighth day. The mitzvah of sukkah is for seven days. The eight day does not have a mitzvah of sukkah. Hence in Israel we don't sit in the sukkah on sh'mini atzeret.

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 1:58 pm
As everyone has said , here in Israel no one eats in the sukkah on Shmini Atezeret.
So I didn't vote.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 2:06 pm
In common with the other Israelis, we never use the sukkah after Hoshana Raba. Sometimes if we have lots of family we'll put plastic over the schach to pasul it and carry on using it as an extra bedroom.

SG18

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 2:10 pm
A lot of our neighbors actually removed the schach from part of the sukkah- to show that it isn't a sukkah anymore- and ate there. We didn't, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 17 2022, 4:58 pm
Responses are going to be a bit skewed at the moment, since the Israelis are the only ones on line today. There should be an option in the poll for 'Israeli, so not relevant'.

a2z

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 12:27 am
Elfrida wrote:
Responses are going to be a bit skewed at the moment, since the Israelis are the only ones on line today. There should be an option in the poll for 'Israeli, so not relevant'.

Just came to say this LOL

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 3:26 pm
We do, chabad. But we got rained out for one meal so my poor husband and son ate quickly in the sukka for each course and than came back inside to sit with the guests.

Chabad are very makpid to eat and drink everything (even water) in the sukka. Even when raining.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 3:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
Chabad are very makpid to eat and drink everything (even water) in the sukka. Even when raining.

When it's raining, there's lots of water to drink!

Mayflower

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 4:30 pm
We don't eat the meal there but do make kiddush in the sukkah shemini atzeres by day - to say goodbye to the sukkah. Heimish (chassidish minhagim)

heidi

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 4:34 pm
I voted what I grew up with which is eating in the sukkah on Shmeni Atzeret

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Oct 18 2022, 4:50 pm
Yes we did but we don't make the brocha lesjeev b'soekka
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics