Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
The Rambam Diet/Belly dancing

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:08 am
Two posts for the price of one!
First, is anyone doing the Rambam diet? (Transforming your life). I'm going to start this Sunday and I'd love to have partners to speak with about it.
Second, anyone know anything about belly dancing, have a cd (here in Israel) that they are willing to part with (sale/gift whatever) or know where I can find a such a cd? I definitely need to add exercise to my life, but I don't like jerky and jumpy movements. I find running in place/jumping jacks etc . etc. annoying and know I won't stick with it. And during the raining season walking is basically out, as I hate cold rain.

Imhappy!

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:57 am
Belly Dancing?? never heard of it before... can you give more details... ( I have a HUGE belly... would love to work out at home..)

mommalah

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:01 am
What is the rambam diet?

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:03 am
mideastern (mostly Arab historically but I think Greeks did belly dancing as well) but extremely healthy. It is an all over exercise, and a great cardio-vascular work out. A friends daughter started doing the dancing and now has rock hard muscles in her stomach area.

I have also heard it was once used as an assist to giving birth.

Anyway, it is an all over workout that isn't harsh, so I think it might match my personality.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:05 am
Hey. I don't believe it. I also just bought the book and am starting the "diet".

Are you in Israel? Can we talk about this on the phone? I would like a buddy for this.

I'm very impressed with the book, so far. I really like the way he combines Rambam and the ba'alei Mussars wisdom with the modern ideas about dieting/non dieting.

Last edited by ChossidMom on Fri, May 30 2008, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:05 am
mommalah wrote:
What is the rambam diet?

Here's the amazon link.
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Tra.....r=8-1

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:49 am
there are a lot of free clips online about bellydancing that are very instructional, you can find them on youtube and elsewhere.

crbc

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 3:06 pm
http://www.collagevideo.com/se.....dance

They ship internationally. also you can see clips of all videos before you buy.

The diet sounds interesting, let us know how you like it. Very Happy

bringgeula

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:19 pm
I bought the book and loved it. I have been attending weight watchers for a while now. I lost 18 pounds after my second baby. I returned after my third, so far B"H', I lost six pounds. Everybody loses weight at a different rate and it could mamesh depress someone if they compare their weight loss to someone elses's. It doesn't matter how long it takes, then end result and the change of lifestyle is what important. I had made an appointment with a dietician as well but decided not to stick with her. She shot down every aspect of the Rambam diet. However, I know that Torah is emes. I tried the Rambam diet for three weeks and to be perfectly honest, yes, I lost but it is such a monotonous diet. I got bored from it very quickly. I chose breakfast as my high water content meal (fruit salad). After one week, I was screaming from it. It is a very difficult diet to follow. Your only side dish available is veggies. It sounds ridiculous to me. Hatzlacha with the journey.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 4:50 am
I've been trying to eat one fruit meal a day.

I find that when I eat fruit in the morning I am never full and find myself literally starving within a couple of hours. Starving to the point of seriously bingeing. What's with you HR?????

Bringgeula - Why are veggies the only option for a side dish? If you do a carb meal you can have all different kinds of carbohydrates and vegetables? Did you mean in a protein meal? do you find that it's not filling enough?

mandksima

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 5:28 am
Well, I had to see what this post was about as the title was pretty eye-catching!

I was actually going to join a belly-dancing class at a gym near me (Kfar Saba) but I never did as I would have to shlep there and back and it would take too many hours. It is a mixed gym but the classes are held in a side room with only women and a woman teacher. You could see into the room if you tried so I'm not sure about the tzniut level. My DH wasn't excited about it but it looked fun to me.

Check out women's gyms near you and they might offer a class in belly dancing that you don't have to join for.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 5:30 am
If I tried to do belly dancing now, I'd certainly knock someone over!

mandksima

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 5:44 am
Mimivan, my pelvis hurts so much now, I couldn't imagine swaying to and fro. LOL

Maybe we should do it side by side and then we'd look like Tumbledee and Tumbledom (is that their names??)

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 5:51 am
It is suppose to ease childbirth.

louche

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:42 am
bellydance is fabulous exercise, low-impact so it doesn't jar your joints the way so-called "aerobic dancing" does. My only complaint is that most music sold for belly dancing is horrendous. It tends to be extremely repetitious and monotonous; if there are vocalists ,the voices are more often than not harsh and ugly; and the singing sounds like whiney complaining. OTOH if you actually like most Middle eastern music (hint: if the cry of the muezzin is pleasant to your ears, you like Middle Eastern music), then belly dance music will be right up your alley.

You don't need what's sold as "belly dance" music to do belly dance. Any musical style will do, provided the beat and tempo are suitable. As there are both slow and fast aspects to the dance, you can pick and choose whatever you like.

MotherOf4

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 1:45 pm
I believe I saw this course offered by the YMCA in Y-M.

Cdlf

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 7:06 pm
Shape Fitness in Bklyn offers a Salsa class that includes bellydancing moves. It's so much fun and my waist ached the next day!!

mimivan

Post Sat, Jun 14 2008, 7:48 pm
mandksima wrote:
Mimivan, my pelvis hurts so much now, I couldn't imagine swaying to and fro. LOL

Maybe we should do it side by side and then we'd look like Tumbledee and Tumbledom (is that their names??)

tweedledee and tweedledum....I actually studied some bellydancing in a former life. I didn't find a good use for it, though. My aunt told me I was too pale and skinny for it...(not that I would do it in public now embarrassed LOL) but if it eases childbirth, maybe back to the belly rolls.

My brother had a strange friend (guy) who did belly rolls as kind of a novelty act for talent shows. He painted a face on his stomach...well... Memories like that make me glad I became frum!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise