Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Removing tag filter
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Are you removing your tag filter because of this story?
Yes  
 9%  [ 8 ]
No  
 75%  [ 66 ]
I can’t- I’ll explain  
 1%  [ 1 ]
I would if I had one  
 14%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 88

SG18

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 4:49 am
Rappel wrote:
If you use the web browser Brave, that blocks all ads. What else would you like to filter out?

Yes, Brave is great! Highly recommend. I use it on computer and phone.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 5:04 am
I used to work for tag. No, they can’t access your pictures. That’s ludicrous. The only thing they know is the name of the sites you request to unblock. And they have so many customers they don’t remember who you are.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 7:57 am
amother Cerise wrote:
He wasn't looking at child p-rn on your phone, though. Why is everyone freaking out now?
Obviously if you give access to your phone to someone they can see what you're doing.

Imagine there is another person like him working at TAG. Or imagine he had never been caught, and is still working there. Someone as disturbed as he, who is being charged with INCEST, rape (!!!) And possession and distribution of child prnogrphy (!!!!!!) Is clearly not a typical trustworthy person like you or I.
The problem is, there is no way to know who is trustworthy. Right? We teach our kids to be wary of all adults, because we dont know which is a molester and which is not. Well, we dont know which person handling our sensitive information is ehrliche and "normal" and which is not.

Now, assuming there is a tech who is NOT normal, and not ehrliche, and you give him access to your phone, then there is a world of opportunity for him there. He can decide to secretly install malware on your phone (not difficult for him at all) that can give him access to your phone-your pictures, your camera, your passwords that you type in, whatever. Or he can simply download all your existing pictures and leave it at that. Or or or....

Why do you think people are advising anyone who had their phone TAGed by him to have it inspected by a tech for malware?

The point is, handing a device loaded with sensitive and personal information to a complete stranger who knows more about technology than you do, can be risky.

Its not about what TAG is supposed to do.

Its about what they are technically capable of doing should they have an employee working with them with ill intent.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:14 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
what in the world are you all talking about? they put a filter on your phone and it blocks sites/takes out the internet options etc. It doesn't make all your images and conversations get uploaded to their database or give them access to your future pics and conversations. Perhaps while they are actually reconfiguring your phone they could potentially snoop, but you can be standing right next to them watching what they are doing if you are worried about that. What made you think they have access to your phone after that??

My phone wasn’t tagged but rather gen tech and they definitely had access to my phone. They had the code to change things etc

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:20 am
Fabulous wrote:
My phone wasn’t tagged but rather gen tech and they definitely had access to my phone. They had the code to change things etc

Right, and we are trusting everyone who works there to be completely trustworthy in all areas. But if not...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:21 am
Firstly, TAG is not a filter. TAG is a company that promotes filters from different companies and can install them for you.
Yes, any filter company can access your browsing history. So can your internet provider and there’s no escaping that. But nobody can access the pictures you have saved on your device.

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:26 am
Heres the real question.
If you knew that a man like Mr S, charged with incest, rape, and posession and distrubution of child prn, was actively working at TAG, would you feel comfortable with him working on your devices as a TAG employee?
How about someone who is known to engage in illegal activities to do with online hacking/ stealing and identity theft?

2 choices:
1) yes I would, because I dont feel that has any bearing on what might happen with my phone.
2) Ummmm....no. because who knows what he might try to do, given his opportunities.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:37 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Firstly, TAG is not a filter. TAG is a company that promotes filters from different companies and can install them for you.
Yes, any filter company can access your browsing history. So can your internet provider and there’s no escaping that. But nobody can access the pictures you have saved on your device.

You do need to consider the differences between a heimishe company and a national company. The national companies are regulated, and must operate under strict rules. Anyone who's caught so much as violating a simple rule or law, can and is prosecuted under criminal law. The companies themselves filter and monitor their own users, to protect the users (and themselves) in case of bad intent.

Compare that against a heimishe company. They don't have the same protections in place. They don't have such strict regulations in place, nor they don't have such heavy oversight over their employees. And what consequences are in place for employees who do violate their rules? We are a community who pushes things under the rug, and often have misplaced compassion for the perpetrator and try to mitigate those consequences for him. It's less worrisome for a heimishe employee to commit wrong than an employee with those national companies.

Additionally, what recourse will a user have in case of identity theft, financial theft or any other misuse. We don't take our own to court. So in cases where you'll need to prove that your identity was hacked, or that someone stole money, what options does one have? It will make things much harder to navigate than it already is with any such situation.

So that's why I don't get the use of the heimishe filter company. If you want a filter, then use one of the many options offered by the national companies. As a bonus, you yourself get to decide what you do or don't want to block, you yourself can upgrade and downgrade the features as needed and you won't need to ask anyone for permission to do it.

As for those whose schools demand it - it's only our own fault. If we don't stand up for ourselves, and let them do as they wish, then you are dependent on their mercy.

little neshamala

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:39 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
You do need to consider the differences between a heimishe company and a national company. The national companies are regulated, and must operate under strict rules. Anyone who's caught so much as violating a simple rule or law, can and is prosecuted under criminal law. The companies themselves filter and monitor their own users, to protect the users (and themselves) in case of bad intent.

Compare that against a heimishe company. They don't have the same protections in place. They don't have such strict regulations in place, nor they don't have such heavy oversight over their employees. And what consequences are in place for employees who do violate their rules? We are a community who pushes things under the rug, and often have misplaced compassion for the perpetrator and try to mitigate those consequences for him. It's less worrisome for a heimishe employee to commit wrong than an employee with those national companies.

Additionally, what recourse will a user have in case of identity theft, financial theft or any other misuse. We don't take our own to court. So in cases where you'll need to prove that your identity was hacked, or that someone stole money, what options does one have? It will make things much harder to navigate than it already is with any such situation.

So that's why I don't get the use of the heimishe filter company. If you want a filter, then use one of the many options offered by the national companies. As a bonus, you yourself get to decide what you do or don't want to block, you yourself can upgrade and downgrade the features as needed and you won't need to ask anyone for permission to do it.

As for those whose schools demand it - it's only our own fault. If we don't stand up for ourselves, and let them do as they wish, then you are dependent on their mercy.

Very well said

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:40 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:

They can access when they are installing it for you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 8:42 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
They can access when they are installing it for you.

My phone says it is supervised and managed by tag LLC.

In my settings.

They have access to everything.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:01 am
amother OP wrote:
My phone says it is supervised and managed by tag LLC.

In my settings.

They have access to everything.
I got locked out of my phone and tag was able to help me regain access. They have better access to my phone than I do.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:08 am
Oh my gosh. I’m mortified to think that someone has access to my notes- I use it as my personal journal. My whole life is on there! If someone reads it… Oy.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:19 am
I'm a little flabbergasted here. I'm 50ish, and didn't grow up with all this tech, and even I know this:
DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR PHONE, TEXT, EMAIL THAT YOU DON'T WANT OTHERS TO READ.
There is absolutely nothing on my phone or in my email, text, or browser history that I'd be ashamed of anyone seeing, because my assumption has always been that there will always be someone out there that can access it.
You want to keep your journal private? Write in a notebook and hide it in your underwear drawer. You want to have a private conversation? Talk to someone. Took a picture that you don't want others to see? Print it and delete it from your device files and from the cloud. Then hide it in your underwear drawer.
Seriously, I'm not sure why everyone is wigging out; seems to me lots of people willingly post personal info on social media in general....
Am I wrong?

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:23 am
Little neshamala, very well said.

Add in, the heimishe company has heimishe employees who may be your next door neighbor, relative, acquaintance. We live in a very small community, relatively speaking. It's very different having a stranger monitoring private information or having someone who knows you checking on you without your awareness

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:25 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
I'm a little flabbergasted here. I'm 50ish, and didn't grow up with all this tech, and even I know this:
DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR PHONE, TEXT, EMAIL THAT YOU DON'T WANT OTHERS TO READ.
There is absolutely nothing on my phone or in my email, text, or browser history that I'd be ashamed of anyone seeing, because my assumption has always been that there will always be someone out there that can access it.
You want to keep your journal private? Write in a notebook and hide it in your underwear drawer. You want to have a private conversation? Talk to someone. Took a picture that you don't want others to see? Print it and delete it from your device files and from the cloud. Then hide it in your underwear drawer.
Seriously, I'm not sure why everyone is wigging out; seems to me lots of people willingly post personal info on social media in general....
Am I wrong?

Yes you are quite wrong because you are not understanding what we are concerned about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me having a picture of my 2 year old in her swimsuit at the pool, but someone who distributes child prnography might get pleasure from that. The solution is not to remove every single picture from my phone, the solution is to be very careful with who gets access to my phone.

If someone installs malware on my phone that lets them see every password as I type it, the solution is not for me to never use my phone to open my emails, or bank account again. The solution is to be very careful with who gets access to my phone. (This applies to you, as you mentioned you use email. Even what you are doing is risky, if youve ever given access to your device someone)

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:30 am
The insistence on using TAG and only TAG in many of the schools is what gives me pause. It's carries a potential for huge misuse of power if there's just one organization that everyone is required to use.

Remember after the women's asifa when one thing being discussed was getting girls/women to pledge they'd only work in frum offices that used TAG. Not, offices that had filters. Specifically those that used the services of TAG and I guess eventually that would mean all frum companies would need to use TAG or have no employees. I'm sorry but I just can't get behind that level of one organization wielding so much control over so many areas of frum life. Now I don't know if that ever took off. But, just that it was something being promoted is honestly scary.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:33 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. Because our phones are not only social tools. They are our financial tools, professional communication tools (I.e. doctors, therapists, shadchanim), information tools, as well as our personal mailbox. Not only that, our phones have information of our comings and goings (I.e GPS) and a list of our acquaintances and family that we interact with.

Giving somone access to our phones in 2022 equates to giving someone monitoring access to your mailbox, landline phone, financial info and your telephone directory in 1980.

seltzermom

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 10:02 am
For some reason I don’t put any filter on my phone. I’m in my forties and don’t have big teivos that I’m worried about. Food on the other hand! That’s another story. Wish I had a filter to what goes on my mouth.

But also regarding tag. I don’t believe in relinquishing my personal autonomy. I would never allow something that is personal and nobody’s business to be viewed or reviewed at their own discretion. It just turns my stomach.

Why can’t everyone just buy a basic filter online? Why the added invasiveness of somebody watching everything you do. Does a volunteer or employee really need to know that I’m researching some sort of medical issue or child caring issue or mental health issue or just candy, deodorant and dresses?

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 11:03 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
why can’t they hack your iCloud? Didn’t that happen to Jennifer Lawrence?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics