Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
1,5 year climbs on everything!

beilariva

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 12:41 pm
My 1,5 year son is still at home with me all day and we do pretty well but as I am entering the last days of my second pregnancy I am finding his current need to climb everything very difficult! He gets to the top shelves of the book case and if I don't close the blinds on the balcony he is on his way out to the laundry lines (we live on the second floor!) Not to mention the constant getting up on chairs to wiggle on them or reach higher surfaces like the dining room table.

Anyone with a good advice for how to deal with this? What types of activities will keep him busy longer? How should I make the climbing secure? As it is now I am happy if I find the strenght to take him out once a day to run around and climb in the park.

Beila

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 12:44 pm
Is he more active than other boys his age?

beilariva

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 12:53 pm
He seems to like to be physically active a lot. He loves to play ball with the big boys at the school yard which I don't see the other kids his age do. His temper is fine though. He doesn't throw fits and stuff like that and usually do what I ask him to, as much as he can :0)

He wants to go out a lot. He stands with his shoes and stroller ready by the door to let me know what we should do next.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 1:01 pm
So then: normal boy! I guess all you can do is keep him safe. After all, you aren't going to chain him down - right? I have 5 boys, some more active than others. The more active ones (including the last one) get a lot of balls and a bimba when very young. The minute we think they can hack it - they get a trike to pedal around. That takes a lot of effort and learning. If you can take him to the pool and stick him in the kiddie pool with a life vest on, that is also a great summer activity where you can relax and he gets very busy.

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 1:03 pm
he seems pretty active,smart,and inquisitive!!!
he might be bored,with the activities u have set out for the day.at that age they love to climb,my dd is the same way,she is 17months and goes to a metapalet she needed to do more than I could provide Confused
now she comes home exhausted,I have noticed that she now pulls the chair to the sink to put her cup in it,instead of moving her chair to get access to things.she still climbs on the table but more to reach what she wants (I took too long getting it for her LOL ).
is putting him in a gan an option??

beilariva

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 1:12 pm
We feel that it is too early for gan. He likes to talk a lot and I don't want him to be met by too much silence as he keeps on asking about things. I feel like I am the best for him right now as I have the time to read him his books and answer all of his "ma zeh" I just need to find a way to cope with all of the climbing and running into less safe areas of our house.

beilariva

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 1:17 pm
Tamiri,
he has a four wheeler that isn't all that interesting to him anymore except for storing his stuff in. How long do they keep busy with the three-wheeler? Are there more tricky kinds that they can work on mastering for alonger time period?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 4:52 pm
I don't think a 1.5 yo has the dexterity to pedal, but there is no time like the present for him to learn!
If you see him becoming bored with things, for example his 4 wheeler - take it away for a while, than take it out again as if it's "new". We did that with a lot of things.
I don't know what else to tell you. Our boys were fortunate to have space in the house to kick a ball, ride a bike etc. (we don't have too much furniture). You can teach him to make a tent (make it for him) out of 2 chairs and a blanket, and let him make-believe under the blankets. I think that's good for sensory something-or-another. Give him a blanket and let him roll all over the floor in it. Just keep him busy with stuff, or rather let him keep himself busy. Teach him to jump off the bottom step, with you there to catch him. Put on music and teach him to march. Anything, to tire him out LOL

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 5:14 pm
Let him run circles outside around the house. That´s what my mom did to me.. LOL

beilariva

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 3:33 am
he he let him run around the house! That's a good one but then I have to keep up with him... Might work once the baby is out and in a sling.

Like the tent idea, will try it out.

Thanks!

Btw when do they calm down? Anytime before the chuppah?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 6:01 am
Some boys never calm down, they are just boys forever.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 6:43 am
tamari u have a lot of great ideas!
when dd comes home in the early afternoon she is pooped,but when she wakes up a couple of hrs later we go to the park,but sometimes I just want to do something w/her at home.all the things u mentioned they do in the "gan"(she's across the hall and I can see everything embarrassed ).
I thought about buying paint and playdough but she still likes to chew crayons,I'm not sure if its to get a rise out of me or what,bc she looks at me while she does it!!

Atali

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 6:55 am
I'm not sure if your apartment is big enough for this, but if it is I would recommend getting one of these small fisher price climbing structures with a slide for inside the house. We have one in my DS's room and it helps a lot.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 7:04 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
tamari u have a lot of great ideas!
when dd comes home in the early afternoon she is pooped,but when she wakes up a couple of hrs later we go to the park,but sometimes I just want to do something w/her at home.all the things u mentioned they do in the "gan"(she's across the hall and I can see everything embarrassed ).
I thought about buying paint and playdough but she still likes to chew crayons,I'm not sure if its to get a rise out of me or what,bc she looks at me while she does it!!

Akeres, thanks. I have been thru my share of boys, and currently have one at home - as you know - so I guess we have to keep things moving along here. But, as I mentioned, it gets easier and easier with time as the child learns to occupy himself. Today, for example we had a thrilling activity: we got one of those chiffon (?) bags they use at simchas to put candies in. It came with a ribbon, which shut it tight. The ribbon got stuck in a dresser drawer and was sticking out a bit. Hmmmm. So Micha starts pulling and pulling until he had a nice ball of gold-thread fuzz. At that point he asked for scissors. So he sat cutting up that fuzz, whatever he could manage - then remembered he needed to cut paper too. So he sat and shredded a paper to little bits. Which then required vaccuming. So he got the vaccum, I caught him trying to plug it in (good lesson; NO ELECTRICAL PLUGS FOR KIDS) and then he had a good time vacuuming. Science lesson. Whatever. It gets easier. As I have written, I think the hardest time is 8 months thru around 18 months, but sometimes those 18 months streeeeeetch.

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 7:22 am
beilariva wrote:
he he let him run around the house! That's a good one but then I have to keep up with him...

When I am pooped and my kids are high energy, I relax in a lounge chair under a tree and make them run relay races in the backyard till they wear themselves out.

When my super active son was that age I got an indoor trampoline and also a tunnel/tent set. I kept it put away most of the time and only brought it out when I needed to get stuff done (ie plop on the couch).

beilariva

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 2:23 pm
I am enjoying these ideas! I feel like I have something to try out now thanks! :0)

My son will only draw with a pen and if I sit with him. The crayons he puts straight to his mouth. They're supposed to be non-toxic but I can't let him do that!

There is one advantage to all of this climbing though. I feel much more secure to leave him on surfaces like our bed knowing that he can sleep there for a while and then safely climb out when he is ready to join me again. I am sure there is more that I just haven't discovered yet...

Tefila

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 8:16 pm
OP my son was like that too Crying . I beg you to have eveything that he can climb on BRACKETED and he must be supervised at all times or at the very least have someone watch him. Pm me if you want to know more
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics