Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
My towels and guest linen smell unfresh if I don’t use immed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:18 pm
What’s the trick!

I can’t keep on washing it every time guest come bc I don’t always have time! I try dryer sheets but it didn’t help either. Plz share all the tricks and tips!

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:19 pm
there are linen sprays that are very light that may help
Or keeping dryer sheets folded into them while sitting on the closet.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:21 pm
Is your washing machine very old? I recently got the front-loader after my years old stackable machine broke, and I didn't even realize it before but suddenly my laundry smells fresh and cleaner.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:28 pm
My machine is new and I use really good soap. Maybe someone has a recommendation for a yummy smelling detergent.

What linen spray is nice ? I wonder if it will smell weird by covering up the unfresh smell.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:30 pm
I can get this because my linen closet is really stuffed to the gills. It helps a little to keep the door slightly ajar. (May not work with little kids around.)

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:31 pm
If you have a home store around you (moda or whatever home stores in your city) they have and you can smell them.

Shouldn’t smell weird. You’re saying your towels and linens have a musky smell? Maybe soemtjing needs to be put in your closet that they’re stored.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:40 pm
These are great. The laundry stays with the smell for a really long time. Downy Unstopables Laundry Scent Booster Beads for Washer,

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
If you have a home store around you (moda or whatever home stores in your city) they have and you can smell them.

Shouldn’t smell weird. You’re saying your towels and linens have a musky smell? Maybe soemtjing needs to be put in your closet that they’re stored.

How do I make the smell go away if that’s the case

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:42 pm
Are you sure it’s the linens? Maybe it’s the room, or the mattresses?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:54 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
Are you sure it’s the linens? Maybe it’s the room, or the mattresses?
[b]

No it’s not the room or matress. I am super clean !

seafood

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:20 pm
Do they have a bad smell? Or do they just not smell yummy?
If they smell musky, it's probably humidity - stick a dehumidifier in the closet. You can get an electric version or there is a kind that does not need electricity - it's called damprid. Gets rid of most bad smells.

Super2020

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:23 pm
I use the tide odor pods the XL ones and don’t put as much clothing in the machine.

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:44 pm
Remember that as a guest, not everyone likes (or even tolerates) heavily scented linens. Febreze, scented dryer sheets, etc. cause headaches in many people. My vote is to try airing out the linens, ventilate the linen closet more.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:57 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
Remember that as a guest, not everyone likes (or even tolerates) heavily scented linens. Febreze, scented dryer sheets, etc. cause headaches in many people. My vote is to try airing out the linens, ventilate the linen closet more.

This. Musty (not musky) odors come from dampness and insufficient air circulation. Closets that are crammed to the gills will have this problem no matter how clean the contents.

Closet overhaul:
1. Remove entire contents. Unfold and hang contents to air out, outdoors if possible.

2. Check for damp spots in the closet. Go no further till you identify, dry out, and eliminate the cause of those spots.

3. Dust, then wipe down all surfaces with diluted white vinegar. Let dry COMPLETELY. Like the Sahara.

4. Old paint holds odors. If painted surfaces were last done during the Carter administration, repaint. One coat will do. Let dry completely. Like Death Valley.

5. Refold and replace the contents, leaving room for air circulation between stacks. Consider drilling ventilation holes or installing a jalousie panel in the door if leaving the door ajar gets on your nerves.

6. If you have to sit on your linens to compress them to get them to fit in the closet, you're overstuffing the closet. Either downsize your collection or find another place to store the overflow.

7. Never put anything in the closet unless it's completely dry. Like the " before" picture of the bones in Ezekiel's vision.

8. From time to time, repeat step 1. You can do this piecemeal, airing out the contents of one shelf or so at a time.

I strongly discourage use of fabric softeners, highly scented detergents, linen sprays and air or fabric "fresheners." Many are outright toxic, while even the most innocuous can be allergenic, irritating or simply offensive to some people. The best possible thing is to air-dry outdoors; second best is to air-dry indoors, always making sure to dry completely, like some people's sense of humor. Third best is to machine dry with NO additives.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:06 pm
Did I mention making sure everything is dry? Dry like a new box of corn flakes. I get the dreaded musty odors if I get overly "efficient" and put linens away when they're dry on the surface but still carry some residual moisture inside the fibers. I always think I can get away with it because the item feels dry to the touch, but the coolness is a dead giveaway. An item fresh out of the dryer will feel hot so you need to let it cool off to judge. Just think about how much water vapor condenses inside a plastic bag into which you put a warm loaf of challah that is utterly dry to the touch.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:05 pm
you need to get the in-laundry scent boosters they really keep laundry smelling amazing for a long time!
I like the GAIN midnight fireworks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:28 pm
What sort of cycle do you use when washing towels? How long does the cycle take?

newinbp

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:40 pm
zaq wrote:
Did I mention making sure everything is dry? Dry like a new box of corn flakes. I get the dreaded musty odors if I get overly "efficient" and put linens away when they're dry on the surface but still carry some residual moisture inside the fibers. I always think I can get away with it because the item feels dry to the touch, but the coolness is a dead giveaway. An item fresh out of the dryer will feel hot so you need to let it cool off to judge. Just think about how much water vapor condenses inside a plastic bag into which you put a warm loaf of challah that is utterly dry to the touch.

I love your sense of humor!! Adds a lightness into the mundane...of organizing and home keeping... Very Happy

Bleemee

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 10:09 pm
I look forward to reading Organizing and Housekeeping threads if I see zaq as last poster. 😅

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 10:24 am
Please don't use scented stuff. I can't breathe around it.
And I don't like "yummy". Am I going to be eating it?!?

Use damprid to get rid of moisture. In closets, the bedroom etc. You don't think you have a humidity problem but until you use a damp rid you can't see it.

Also, wash your machine. I use washer magic and it gets the stink out.

And don't overcrowd your closet. You want freshness and it won't come from chemicals. Fresh air and circulating air is what makes linen feel clean.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics