Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Work is not a babysitting service for your sick kids!
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 8:51 pm
If they aren't well enough to go to school, don't bring them to work and let them get everyone around them sick while working.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 8:54 pm
What are the PTO policies in your workplaces? Is it even an option for the moms to stay home with their sick kids, or are they not allowed to take off?

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 8:55 pm
All I'll say is, that parents are placed in very difficult positions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:02 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
What are the PTO policies in your workplaces? Is it even an option for the moms to stay home with their sick kids, or are they not allowed to take off?

There are some personal days but not a lot

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

So what's your solution? If a kid is sick but the mother has no personal days left. Wwyd

Highstrung

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:05 pm
I had two different bosses make me bring in sick kids to the office , to sleep on the floor next to me , rather than me being home with them. I would’ve gladly stayed home and lost a days worth of pay. I felt very pressured by the boss and didn’t have a strong enough backbone in those days , to speak up . This was almost 20 yrs ago

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:06 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
All I'll say is, that parents are placed in very difficult positions.

This exactly. Nobody really wants to bring their sick kid to work with them. They would way rather take care of their kid at home. Stop being so judgemental.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
If they aren't well enough to go to school, don't bring them to work and let them get everyone around them sick while working.

Sorry.
I bring my kids to work if theyre well enough to come, but not perky enough for school. Assuming my child is not actively contagious with flu or strep, and isnt vomitting and burning up with fever, I'll bring them to work with me because guess what. I need to pay my bills. I simply cannot take off every single time my child is under the weather. I cant!!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:10 pm
That’s on your boss. If the boss doesn’t allow it then it won’t happen. If the boss does, then people are going to bring their kids rather than use up their days off.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:11 pm
You aren't catching most things from a small child sitting on a chair or on the floor.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:14 pm
Sorry you are not catching being sick from your coworkers kid sitting and coloring (or sleeping) on the floor nearby.

And how about the workers that come to work while they are still contagious with strep or whatnot? It’s not always a choice…

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:18 pm
My coworker brought her feverish and coughing 4.5 yo to work (fyi the boss was on PTO that day)
Now I have to take 5 PTO days off with Covid and my husband and One DD are both quite sick and my oldest DD is being “quite special” as her vacation plans are cancelled.

Guess it just stinks for me, but I learned a long time ago how unimportant and irrelevant I am.

ETA-the child did not stay sitting on the designated chair or sleeping on the floor. Advil makes children feel much better and they like to explore other people areas and sing and touch things….

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:19 pm
My kids teachers bring their sick kids to school, and have them sit in the classroom with them. This literally makes my blood boil, as the school keeps sending home notes to remind parents to not send sick kids, yet they have no problem with teachers bringing their own sick children to school.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

So that's why they are bringing their sick kids to work. You should be complaining to the boss to give more PTO or allow remote work. Complaining to the moms doesn't help. There is literally no other option.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:33 pm
In my unpopular opinion, most married couples should plan on who will be the one with the typical 9-5 and who will be the one with the flexible employment--- self employment, part time employment, easy access to a last minute sitter if taking on a typical 9-5 along with the spouse... there are options. A single parent needs support--- a good friend or family member who is able to step in when needed. Sick kids shouldn't come to work.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:35 pm
Holy cow can we all start giving one another a break?? You think people WANT to take their sick kids to work? Of course they would prefer to keep their kids home. But they can't, because food needs to be bought and the mortgage needs to be paid and the boss needs to be appeased, fever or no fever.

And there's just no winning. If people stop working because it was too hard juggling sick kids, they'll get flack from the 'how dare you get a tuition break to be a SAHM while I work and have to pay full' crowd.

You really just can't win on this site sometimes.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:36 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
In my unpopular opinion, most married couples should plan on who will be the one with the typical 9-5 and who will be the one with the flexible employment--- self employment, part time employment, easy access to a last minute sitter if taking on a typical 9-5 along with the spouse... there are options. A single parent needs support--- a good friend or family member who is able to step in when needed. Sick kids shouldn't come to work.

Beautiful idea in theory.
What happens if both parents need to work full time 9-5 in order to support their families and pay crazy yeshiva tuition and insurance and mortgages and insane high food prices? What if they live somewhere where these mythical last- minute sitters available all day just don't exist? What if they're not lucky enough to have support of family/friends?

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:40 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:

Generally speaking, flexible employment comes.with a lower salary. Not everyone can afford that.

And a last minute sitter sounds nice in theory but doesn't really exist.

I remember going to my mom's office as a kid when I was sick. I would sit in a swivel chair reading The Boxcar Children Smile and her coworkers would comment on how fast I read them. No one ever seemed to mind my presence

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:43 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Holy cow can we all start giving one another a break?? You think people WANT to take their sick kids to work? Of course they would prefer to keep their kids home. But they can't, because food needs to be bought and the mortgage needs to be paid and the boss needs to be appeased, fever or no fever.

And there's just no winning. If people stop working because it was too hard juggling sick kids, they'll get flack from the 'how dare you get a tuition break to be a SAHM while I work and have to pay full' crowd.

You really just can't win on this site sometimes.

In my humble opinion, many many many families would be able to live on a lower income if they'd be willing to lower their standards. But unfortunately, not many people are willing to do that.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:46 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
In my humble opinion, many many many families would be able to live on a lower income if they'd be willing to lower their standards. But unfortunately, not many people are willing to do that.

That's simply not true. Tuition and kosher food eat up everyone's money.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics