Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Parking tips

EgyptianPrincess

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 4:40 pm
My driving instructor [from some years ago] had a number of no -fail parking formulas. Regrettably, I did not commit them to memory. So there are many spots that I just avoid parking in, or else I must do numerous maneuvers till I am parked. I have some mental block in figuring these things out, but I was able to follow the formulas when I knew them. I would really appreciate your own tips/formulas.
While we are at it, some general driving tips would be appreciated too!

mumoo

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 5:59 pm
to back into a space:

align your car alongside the one you want to park in back of
aim the back of your car toward the midway point of the length of the empty space-with the goal to be at a 45 degree angle to that midpoint while backing up
when you hit the curb, straighten out, by turning the wheel away fro the curb

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 10:15 pm
Egyptian,

I know just what you mean. I do anyhting not to have to parallel park. I'd rather circle a million times than park in Boro Park

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 10:18 pm
I rented a van one of the last times I was in ny. I was staying by family in ch & my uncle usually parked my rental minivan at night for me. the one night that he went to a chasuna I literally had to stop a frum man on the street and beg him to park for me- it was not one of my finer moments.

EgyptianPrincess

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 3:02 pm
Thanks mumoo, and to the others for sharing my misery. My instructor also had a "formula" for pulling into a parking lot space [with the slanted lines]. Something about driving opposite that space till one [?] of the lines of the space next to it hits your window midway, then he had specific instructions on how much you turn the wheel , till what point, etc. It frustrates me that I forgot it , b/c then I was parked so neat and perfect. Now I have to adjust myself - it shouldn't have to be like that. Also for parallel parking he had a PERFECT formula - no bumping curbs or readjusting your car. There is a better way. But I don't feel like paying all that $ just to learn the formulas again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics