Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Keiravtuni Gold 2023
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 9:38 pm
We registered without thinking it thru and realizing that we might be crazy going by ourselves without knowing a soul. Did anyone here ever go alone without another couple?
Is anyone here going this shabbos."?

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 9:53 pm
It's a beautiful experience. Enjoy it!
It's an upscale kind of weekend. Bring nice clothes and shoes.
Food and decor is amazing. The inspiration is nice. Just take it all in.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
It's a beautiful experience. Enjoy it!
It's an upscale kind of weekend. Bring nice clothes and shoes.
Food and decor is amazing. The inspiration is nice. Just take it all in.

I’m happy to hear that bc we are looking forward. Just hoping it won’t be awkward when we can’t be together like meals and when men davening etc.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 10:19 pm
There are definitely people that come alone.
I would have loved to go, but my husband wasn’t so on board.
Maybe next time.
I was there a few times in the early years.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 4:42 pm
How did you enjoy the 40+ experience?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:31 pm
Inspirational it may be, I've never been and can't say. But looking at the website, I was struck by the irony and in fact completely turned off by this line:

Their beautiful and lavish events feature some of the world’s most renowned lecturers

If the purpose is to bring people close to Hashem, the word "lavish" doesn't belong anywhere. It should davka NOT be lavish. Not saying people should have to bring sleeping bags and dine on peanut butter sandwiches, but why is that word there? A "lavish" event is exactly the opposite of what it should be.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:40 pm
I didnt go, but I heard it was NEXT LEVEL. Beautiful inspiring speakers, wonderful crowd, something very special and emotional. My friend couldnt stop ranting and raving of this derhoibana Shabbos.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:42 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Inspirational it may be, I've never been and can't say. But looking at the website, I was struck by the irony and in fact completely turned off by this line:

Their beautiful and lavish events feature some of the world’s most renowned lecturers

If the purpose is to bring people close to Hashem, the word "lavish" doesn't belong anywhere. It should davka NOT be lavish. Not saying people should have to bring sleeping bags and dine on peanut butter sandwiches, but why is that word there? A "lavish" event is exactly the opposite of what it should be.

The purpose is not to bring people closer to hashem, it's a chinuch/shalom bayis shabbaton.
And whatever is wrong with lavish? Hashem wants us to enjoy his world and food. Live and let live.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:44 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
I didnt go, but I heard it was NEXT LEVEL. Beautiful inspiring speakers, wonderful crowd, something very special and emotional. My friend couldnt stop ranting and raving of this derhoibana Shabbos.

What does derhoibana mean?

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
What does derhoibana mean?

It's the yiddish word for uplifting.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 7:50 pm
I would love to go to one especially over 40 but dh is not into these kind of things.and it's a fortune of money

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
The purpose is not to bring people closer to hashem, it's a chinuch/shalom bayis shabbaton.
And whatever is wrong with lavish? Hashem wants us to enjoy his world and food. Live and let live.

Actually when they started their purpose was “KEIRAVTUNI” bring us close to Hashem.
And the first few that’s what the speakers spoke about. Emunah, bitachon, answering all the questions about yiddishkeit that you had thought of or didn’t even think of….
Then at some point they veered off their original topic and that’s why my dh doesn’t want to go anymore.
But to answer the person you were replying to. Hashem gave us this world and all the gashmius in it to enjoy!! You are allowed to enjoy Hashems good world!!! just remember to thank Him for it!!
When Avrohom avenue wanted to be mekarev the malachim he gave them the best meat! Maybe he should have just served basic foods?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 10:26 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

NEXT LEVEL is perfectly described. Can’t stop speaking about it to anyone and everyone that’s willing to listen…
Best disconnect of the world my dh and I ever had.. married 25+years kh and can’t remember the last time we spent 48 hours focusing just on ourselves and the both of us. It was beyond uplifting mentally physically emotionally and spiritually.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 4:55 am
amother Watermelon wrote:

Lavis shabbaton = prices for only those who can afford lavish. Of course not everyone can afford any level weekend event and there are those who can not spare $36 for an evening event. But can you imagine how many more people would be able to benefit from this kind of shabbos if it was knocked down a few notches, from lavish to just regular beautiful and special? I think it's really sad when a certain upper class crowd is catered to, leaving people out who would love to attend but cant. For what? Lavish gashmius? What goal is being accomplished here? Believe me, we can still enjoy HKBH's food and world in a less lavish way. What kind of chinuch is being accomplished when the first line of business is a price tag which is unattainable for so many?

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:15 am
I'm not chassidish but I lived in a heavily chassidish area and worked with and got to know, many chassidim. It seems to me that many chassidim have a belief that more is better when it's in the service of Hashem. In my world only the very rich buy a large, silver menorah or kaara. But that seems to be the norm for many chassidim. Same with buying a silver atarah for their tallis. It's a very different belief system. I grew up in the "struggling for kollel" system so this is very foreign to me. But it seems to be a part of their avodas Hashem.

When they first started keiravtuni I was involved in a very minor way. I remember that this was the mindset. Let's bring people closer to Hashem by giving them a luxurious, lavish weekend during which they'll be able to relax and really enjoy themselves and that will bring them closer to Hashem. I have a hard time understanding it, because it's not my derech. In my litvish derech we get closer to Hashem by lowering ourselves and being subservient to Him. But I understand that in their minds it's not only about the gashmius, it's about the gashmius bringing them closer to Hashem.

(Yes, I do realize that the litvish world and kollel world have become much more into gashmius. But the ideals are still the same.)

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:17 am
amother Leaf wrote:
I'm not chassidish but I lived in a heavily chassidish area and worked with and got to know, many chassidim. It seems to me that many chassidim have a belief that more is better when it's in the service of Hashem. In my world only the very rich buy a large, silver menorah or kaara. But that seems to be the norm for many chassidim. Same with buying a silver atarah for their tallis. It's a very different belief system. I grew up in the "struggling for kollel" system so this is very foreign to me. But it seems to be a part of their avodas Hashem.

When they first started keiravtuni I was involved in a very minor way. I remember that this was the mindset. Let's bring people closer to Hashem by giving them a luxurious, lavish weekend during which they'll be able to relax and really enjoy themselves and that will bring them closer to Hashem. I have a hard time understanding it, because it's not my derech. In my litvish derech we get closer to Hashem by lowering ourselves and being subservient to Him. But I understand that in their minds it's not only about the gashmius, it's about the gashmius bringing them closer to Hashem.

(Yes, I do realize that the litvish world and kollel world have become much more into gashmius. But the ideals are still the same.)

Re: the bold - if this is true, who is it that the organizers feel is deserving of coming closer to Hashem? Is there anything out there for those who need it also but can't afford this level?

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:35 am
Talking about lavish, this time around they downgraded a lot on lavish decor and food. They hired a much cheaper event planner.. It was very simple nothing fancy flowers and so on.... when asked they said everything today is very pricey and would need to ask each couple a few hundred dollars more to cover and guess what I think everyone enjoyed it anyways. The food was tasty and speakers were amazing!

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 5:38 am
watergirl wrote:
Re: the bold - if this is true, who is it that the organizers feel is deserving of coming closer to Hashem? Is there anything out there for those who need it also but can't afford this level?

I can't answer for them, but I don't think they're looking at it the same way you are. For them it's not about who deserves it, it's that this is the best way of becoming closer to Hashem and so that's what they're offering.

There are definitely shabbatons that are not lavish and still offer a lot of spirituality and help you come closer to Hashem. Off the top of my head, Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation and Ohr Naava. They both bring in incredible speakers. I know there are more but I can't think of them right now. Keep in mind that they're also not cheap. It costs a lot of money to run such a shabbaton and so they have to charge for it. But they're not anywhere near the scale and prices of Keiravtuni.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:21 am
Keiravtuni is a business. They are here to make money. Of course, they have to bring great speakers, otherwise they won’t have their clientele. They have to serve lavish and upscale, otherwise people won’t come back. But their main goal is to make money. It’s still a beautiful thing though, and many people benefit greatly!

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jan 18 2023, 9:27 am
watergirl wrote:
Lavis shabbaton = prices for only those who can afford lavish. Of course not everyone can afford any level weekend event and there are those who can not spare $36 for an evening event. But can you imagine how many more people would be able to benefit from this kind of shabbos if it was knocked down a few notches, from lavish to just regular beautiful and special? I think it's really sad when a certain upper class crowd is catered to, leaving people out who would love to attend but cant. For what? Lavish gashmius? What goal is being accomplished here? Believe me, we can still enjoy HKBH's food and world in a less lavish way. What kind of chinuch is being accomplished when the first line of business is a price tag which is unattainable for so many?

It's a business just like any other. People go for the lavish experience. I can't afford all those weekend getaways and vacation advertisements we're seeing, so I don't go.
They're actually not making so much profit off it because they bring down amazing big speakers, and it costs alot. And to rent out a hotel also costs alot. People pay for the experience and if they'd tone it down, not so many would be interested. It's not that expensive and they probably just about cover the event without making profit.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational