Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Belly Dancing
1  2  Next

Would you belly dance alone or in an all female class?
yes  
 92%  [ 23 ]
no  
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

SouthernShalom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:28 pm
I am wondering if this is acceptable? Taking an all female class or doing it at home with a video? What about the mostly Arab music?

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:34 pm
I'd love to do it but not in their style clothes nor with their music . I havent thought of asking if it's shailoh though Confused
Oh and it's so good to see u posting again Smile

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:38 pm
I have no idea what a rabbi might say but I for sure wont try at home (its very hard & I could have more talent for dancing) and unless its religous music, I dont think it'd be any different than any other exercise with music that is not jewish.

shlomitsmum

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:42 pm
I do belly dance alone at home on a nice long sleeved body leotard and a long skirt .
As for the music I use a purely instrumental CD.
It's a great workout ,try it ! Wink

abismommy

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:43 pm
Is it realy ARAB music? or just middle eastern? because if it is middle eastern, then maybe you could do the same moves with teimani music that is ONLY music and not songs that have words.

SouthernShalom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 7:50 pm
I was looking at the music online and listning to some samples. It seems difficult to find the style of music without lyrics and I don't know what they are saying to know if it is ok.
Thanks for noticing that I was gone Tefila. I wouldn't have thought anyone would.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 8:36 pm
Quote:
Thanks for noticing that I was gone Tefila. I wouldn't have thought anyone would.

With a lovely name like yours how could one forget Wink

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:35 pm
At Shape Fitness some instructors do it to Israeli-Temani Music, others to really fast paced English music.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 7:53 am
North African Jews listen to "Arab" music. Islam is not idolatry.

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 8:37 am
"Islam is not idolatry" ???
How is that?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 8:57 am
Because it's just one G-d, and the "right" one. Ask any rabbi. You can enter a mosquee, even pray in it I think.

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:13 am
I think there are differing opinions on this. I went to ask moses and was told by Rabbi Yossi Mandel that it was idolatry. Some have the opinion that it isn't.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:18 am
How is it idolatry? Don't they pray to one god? Do they pray to representations of god? They believe that Yoshke is a prophet, not a god.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:23 am
DefyGravity wrote:
How is it idolatry? Don't they pray to one god? Do they pray to representations of god? They believe that YOSHKE is a prophet, not a god.

I think you mean muhamad. I still don't get why there would be anything wrong with middle eastern music. Unless the song were specifically religious....

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:26 am
They also believe that J is a prophet. Look it up.

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:28 am
They also believe that Yoshke is a prophet along with Muhamed. Doesn't Islam originate from the worship of a moon god? It hasn't been around forever? What did they do before the koran was written?

greentiger

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:35 am
DefyGravity wrote:
They also believe that J is a prophet. Look it up.

Thanks thats new to me.

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:35 am
In pre-Islamic Arabia, Allah was used by Meccans as a reference to the creator-god, possibly the supreme deity.[13] Allah was not the sole divinity and the notion of the term may have been vague in the Meccan religion.[4] Allah had associates and companions, whom pre-Islamic Arabs considered as subordinate deities. Meccans held that a kind of kinship existed between Allah and the jinn.[14] Allah had sons[15] and the local deities of al-ʿUzzā, Manāt and al-Lāt were his daughters.[16] The Meccans possibly associated angels with Allah.[17][11] Allah was invoked in times of distress.[18][11] Muhammad's father name was ʿAbdallāh meaning the “servant of Allāh.”[11] (Wikipedia)

According to the article this isn't what they believe now. This was pre koran.

entropy

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:43 am
It's a new religion, IIRC Mohamad wanted to convert and be a Jewish leader/prophet, and they wouldn't take him (he was pretty crazy) so he went and started his own religion. His claim was that the Jews are no longer the chosen people because they rejected Yoshke's prophecies and now are rejecting his own. He also claimed the Jews edited out Yishmael's heritage from the Torah.

Islam was historically considered kosher for non-Jewish "bnei Noach", but in recent generations they may have taken an idolatrous turn.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:47 am
Anyways, I don't see what's wrong with dancing to the belly dancing music. Is it about loving Allah? Killing the Jews? If you're the type of person that wouldn't even work out to any type of secular music, that's one thing, but if you would, what's the difference?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise