Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 5 Year old failed hearing test
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:50 pm
So I went with my son to the Dr cuz he had an Eval for speech and needs therapy. The therapist suggested I first check his eyes and ears to rule out those. Bh he passed the eye test but the hearing test failed on both ears. He has a little cold now so the Dr said that it might be related to this and I should come back in 2-3 weeks to do it again. I'm really nervous. What does it mean when a kid "doesnt pass" a hearing test? Dr said he saw a little bit of fluid but only in one ear and only a little bit. Pls help!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:52 pm
He had a hearing test at the pediatrician or he went to an audiologist for a full work up and comprehensive hearing exam?

If he has a cold now it wasnt the best time to do a hearing test. Fluid in the ear can impact the results of the test.

(im an SLP for reference)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:54 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
He had a hearing test at the pediatrician or he went to an audiologist for a full work up and comprehensive hearing exam?

If he has a cold now it wasnt the best time to do a hearing test. Fluid in the ear can impact the results of the test.

(im an SLP for reference)

It was just a hearing test at the pediatrician. Should I see an ENT already or redo the test once his cold goes away?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:55 pm
My son kept on failing hearing test by pediatrician. Took him to ent and she said his hearing is bh fine. It's a different type of tool they use. She said he might have had ear pressure in his ear when pediatrician tested.

Hatzlacha, hope it will work out ok for you!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
It was just a hearing test at the pediatrician. Should I see an ENT already or redo the test once his cold goes away?

Go to an audiologist first and book an appointment for the ENT at the same time. He might need tubes put in. Its a quick procedure they do. I do like to view the body as a whole and not just a symptom so I would also take your child to a chiro to get adjusted.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:58 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
My son kept on failing hearing test by pediatrician. Took him to ent and she said his hearing is bh fine. It's a different type of tool they use. She said he might have had ear pressure in his ear when pediatrician tested.

Hatzlacha, hope it will work out ok for you!

Ok bh! What made you do the hearing test? Just a general well visit? Cuz my son can complain sometimes that things are too noisy or when he was a little kid he was petrified of lawn mowers so now I'm thinking if it has to do with his hearing or if he's just more sensitive to noise

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 9:59 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Go to an audiologist first and book an appointment for the ENT at the same time. He might need tubes put in. Its a quick procedure they do. I do like to view the body as a whole and not just a symptom so I would also take your child to a chiro to get adjusted.

What's the difference between an audiologist and an ENT? Ye I was thinking if I should have him see a chiropractor maybe

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:00 pm
Definitely go to an audiologist for a full hearing test. The one at the pediatrician is very basic. Our speech therapist always recommends it for kids with speech issues. Better to rule out or in hearing issues now rather than waste hours on therapy only to discover an issue later on.

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:01 pm
Got to an audiologist and ent. Or start with an ent that has an audiologist on staff.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:03 pm
I’m going through the same thing with my 2.5yo except we did the test at an audiologist and already failed the second test so now we’re following up with the ENT on Wednesday. My ped said he’s most likely a candidate for tubes because it’s fluid related but I’m hoping there’s another option.

You should do the follow up exam at an audiologist because they’ll be able to more accurately pinpoint what types of issues he’s having. But it’s nothing to freak out about! You went for a hearing test because a professional recommended it based off of a need your son presented and now you have more information to make sure he’s thriving.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:09 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Definitely go to an audiologist for a full hearing test. The one at the pediatrician is very basic. Our speech therapist always recommends it for kids with speech issues. Better to rule out or in hearing issues now rather than waste hours on therapy only to discover an issue later on.

Who's more experienced with this an audiologist or an ENT?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:10 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I’m going through the same thing with my 2.5yo except we did the test at an audiologist and already failed the second test so now we’re following up with the ENT on Wednesday. My ped said he’s most likely a candidate for tubes because it’s fluid related but I’m hoping there’s another option.

You should do the follow up exam at an audiologist because they’ll be able to more accurately pinpoint what types of issues he’s having. But it’s nothing to freak out about! You went for a hearing test because a professional recommended it based off of a need your son presented and now you have more information to make sure he’s thriving.

Wow, does it make sense it's fluid if my son rarely had any ear infections? Cuz as far as I'm aware kids that have lots of ear infections end up with lots of fluid which usually ends up with tubes

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who's more experienced with this an audiologist or an ENT?

An audiologist specializes in testing hearing. An ENT is a medical doctor who specialize in ears, nose, throat. The audiologist I went to actually works with ENT - which is ideal - because as a team they see what the cause is, how to treat. For example if the audiologist says it's fluid or infection you will need an ENT to treat it. I took my son cause of "noises and uncomfortable feelings in his ears" which was actually diagnosed as tinitus (possibly caused by covid) and both felt that there was no way to treat it medically but did give a few suggestions that might help my son cope with it.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:20 pm
Your hearing test was in the doctor's office or at the audiologist? Often hearing loss can be fluid related which is why they said to come back once he clears up

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow, does it make sense it's fluid if my son rarely had any ear infections? Cuz as far as I'm aware kids that have lots of ear infections end up with lots of fluid which usually ends up with tubes

Yup! An infection is if the fluid is infected. For my son, it’s just there and causing the eardrum to pull inwards. My baby otoh had back to back infections/ruptures starting at 5 months and got tubes put in by 8 months so now there’s a family history from the younger one

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
An audiologist specializes in testing hearing. An ENT is a medical doctor who specialize in ears, nose, throat. The audiologist I went to actually works with ENT - which is ideal - because as a team they see what the cause is, how to treat. For example if the audiologist says it's fluid or infection you will need an ENT to treat it. I took my son cause of "noises and uncomfortable feelings in his ears" which was actually diagnosed as tinitus (possibly caused by covid) and both felt that there was no way to treat it medically but did give a few suggestions that might help my son cope with it.

Wow how old was ur son? He kept complaining that he hears noises and feels somethings uncomfortable in there?
As a matter of fact my husband also can't handle too much noise. I remember when my son was a baby it was very hard for him when my son would cry in the car etc He would complain that it Mamish makes him lose his focus. I'm so nervous that this shouldn't be some serious issue

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:23 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Your hearing test was in the doctor's office or at the audiologist? Often hearing loss can be fluid related which is why they said to come back once he clears up

At the Dr office. Yes the Dr told me to come back in a few weeks to recheck his ears again but he said he didn't see much fluid now

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Yup! An infection is if the fluid is infected. For my son, it’s just there and causing the eardrum to pull inwards. My baby otoh had back to back infections/ruptures starting at 5 months and got tubes put in by 8 months so now there’s a family history from the younger one

Oh wow! Did the tubes taka help?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh wow! Did the tubes taka help?

Yup bH no ear infections since! Could’ve had the break from so many drs appointments if it didn’t then overlap with my older son needing the run around now 😅

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 10:38 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Yup bH no ear infections since! Could’ve had the break from so many drs appointments if it didn’t then overlap with my older son needing the run around now 😅

Wow! Thing is my son rarely had ear infections. I thought tubes are for that only!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics