Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Any advice re bedrails?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:15 am
I am thinking of transferring my 2.4 yr old ds from his crib into a high riser so I can transfer my 10 month old from his portacrib into the reg crib. I was thinking of buying a bedrail for the highriser and was interested in buying a bedrail which folds and could slide underneath the mattress when not in use during the day. However, I don't think the folding option is available to be used on a high riser. When discussing this with dh he questioned if a bedrail is necessary or if it wouldn't be easier to train the 2 yr old to sleep on a bed w/o a rail from the beginning so we wouldn't have to retrain him again to sleep w/o one. For safety dh said we could pull out the bottom bed of the high riser to cushion a fall if nec. Is this safe, advisable... Any opinions and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 9:12 am
With my 2 oldest I used a bed rail. I don't really know if they needed it b/c the other 2 I didn't use one and maybe they fell off twice. If the bed rail doesn't work w/ a hi-riser, pulling the other bed out is a good idea. You don't have to pull it out the whole way.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 1:09 pm
I put my older son on the high riser bed with the bottom mattress pulled out, I don't think he fell out more than once or twice, on to the bottom mattress, you just have to remember to pull the bottom mattress out each night. it's also helpful for them to get into the bed, cause the high riser is a bit higher than a standard bed.

my next son 2 I have on the bottom bed of the high riser with the mattress collapsed so there is no real fall if he falls out. I don't know if that's an option for you.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:56 pm
Firstly, a hi-riser has only one mattress, right? So it's halfway into the bedframe. I don't think any bedrails would work for that- they only work between a mattress and boxspring, where the frame is way below and doesn't interfere.

Pulling out the bottom mattress sounds like a good idea.

But just in case, I'll give you my suggestion for a bedrail- Regalo. It's great- not only does it flip down, it slides under the mattress, too.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 9:01 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Firstly, a hi-riser has only one mattress, right? So it's halfway into the bedframe. I don't think any bedrails would work for that- they only work between a mattress and boxspring, where the frame is way below and doesn't interfere.

But just in case, I'll give you my suggestion for a bedrail- Regalo. It's great- not only does it flip down, it slides under the mattress, too.

There are bedrails that work on high risers, but from the suggestions above I might be leaning towards doing without. Should I be worried if my son moves around a lot in his crib at night? I mean, whenever I check on him after he's asleep until I go to sleep he is always sprawled in different places. How in the world will he know to stay in one place on the bed??

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:27 pm
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:
GAMZu wrote:

There are bedrails that work on high risers, but from the suggestions above I might be leaning towards doing without. Should I be worried if my son moves around a lot in his crib at night? I mean, whenever I check on him after he's asleep until I go to sleep he is always sprawled in different places. How in the world will he know to stay in one place on the bed??

Some of my kids don't stop moving around at night. Their blanket is all over the place in the morning. B"h, bl"ah, they don't fall off.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:45 pm
Thanks yo'ma for your help, now I just need to work up the guts and patience to do the switch! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics