Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Need your input

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:00 pm
I am looking into buying a digital camera. I want something that will take good sharp pictures.
I would appreciate your input and experiences. Good or Bad.

mugsisme

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:16 pm
You really need to give a lot more information. First of all, what is your budget? Second, where do you take the most pictures? Are you looking for a point and shoot or a dSLR?

Leah

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:27 pm
Ok, I would spend around $200 - $300. I want to be able take pictures at home, outside and vacations. I have another camera (not digital) which takes excellent pictures. But I want to have one for every day sort of.
Ok whats the difference between point and shoot and dslr. I didnt realize I was so ignorant..

chayitty

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:28 pm
I really wanna but the canon g9...so I would recommend it...I never used it so I dont know how great it is but its got great reviews...it is a bit pricey so it really depends on ur bundget and how good of a camera u really need/want.
I would def. go with canon over most and buy by b&h just bec. b&h has very good realtionship with canon so they have an easier time returning it if there a prob. so u have an esaier time getting a new camera

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:32 pm
chayitty, I was actually looking at B&H's site since I would buy from them. I bought my other camera and camecorder from them as well..all Canon. I personally like Canon best.
The G9 is a little to much over my budget..do you have experience with any other Canon ones?

mugsisme

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:36 pm
Chayitty, I did the research on it. the Canon G9 is such an awesome camera. I debated about getting it for my toss into my pocketbook camera, but it weighs twice as much as the one I did get (a Canon A570). My step-father got it, and I played around with it a drop. If you really, really want to drool, go to flickr, and type in Canon G9 in the search. You will chalish for it even more.

mc'cutie, Canon has a lot of great point and shoot cameras. A P&S camera is a small camera that you can toss into your pocket book and just go. They are usually under $400. Between $400-$600 you can get a bridge camera. They are cameras that look like a SLR, but have p&s modes. You usually can not switch lenses, but I do believe a few of them have pieces you attach in front to give you a wider angle lens, or filters. If you want the best quality, then you need to move up to a SLR. They are starting at around $500 and go up, up, up. The SLRs are awesome, but you have to factor in lenses, filters, flash, etc. If you go that round, it gets very costly very quickly.

The best site for comparing cameras is DP Review. If you hear about a camera, you can see if they have reviewed or compare features. Fuji has the F series which takes awesome indoor pictures. I choose the Canon A570 because I wanted the option of having shutter mode or apeture mode. I only paid $140 for mine, and I got a bunch of classes (that I used for my Nikon D40) because I bought it locally at Ritz camera. I don't know where you live, but if you want to take some classes, you may look into buying from them. They are usually a little more expensive, but I really wanted the classes.

Sorry this got so long.

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 8:44 pm
Thanks for your input. I actually do want a 'point and shoot' one that I can keep in my bag, since I already have a bigger better one but I cant stand shlepping it around.

what kind of classes did you get, they teach you how to take photos?

mugsisme

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 9:02 pm
You said before (I was posting while you posted) that you want to get from B&H. They are great to deal with.

I got classes like on lighting, and understanding shutter speed, etc. It was a lot of basic stuff. I did learn some stuff, and they had one specifically on my SLR (which I wanted to take anyway).

Canon has some in the A series. A590 I think is the most recent one. Also look at the Fuji F50 & F100. If you have a memory card, you can take it into the camera store, put it in the cameras, and take pictures. I did that before I decide which one to get (for my P&S).

mc'cutie

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 9:06 pm
Great idea Thanks.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 9:09 pm
I was researching cameras recently- I really wanted the G9, but it was out of budget. My next option was Canon S5 but it's too big and bulky for a P&S. I ended up getting a Canon SX100 IS. It's so good. It has many modes, including manual mode, so you can change many settings to your liking. It also has image stabilization, which I find makes SUCH a difference as opposed to my old camera that didn't have.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:38 pm
I personally love the Sony's
their developing is much sharper, and also the memory is much bigger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art