Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
BP, long bus rides for young kids. R u okay with this?
1  2  3  Next

meeze

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:41 pm
I'm soooooooooooo upset!
Ds, He's in kindergarten. Leaves school at 2:25 and gets home 3:30.

Comes home complaining of nausea, headache and dizziness.
All because the cheider won't do anything to change the schedule or break up the bus route in 2. Why should there be 32 stops?

This is going on for quite some time, since my son began cheider.

We complained twice and still nothing. Do we really have to pay a driver to pick him up daily?

How are other mothers okay with this??? How do they deal with the kids moods, fussyness, tiredness, sickness from bus ride DAILY after school?

Im dreading this and feel so bad for him. I remember myself as a child and dealt with it always. Constantly nauseated from bus ride (for years, in school)
Cant see my child going through this!

Pls help!!

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:43 pm
Yes it’s insane! can you take him off at an earlier corner if the bus passes there? I’ve done it many many years

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:45 pm
can you pick him up from school?

meeze

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:47 pm
None of these are really working out long term

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:48 pm
It is very hard.

Mine is drop shorter. I think 2:40 busses pull away, ds is home 3:20.
40 min is not 55, but far from ideal.

Ds is not complaining.

How's Friday by you?
It is overloaded because they do big and little kids together. They rearranged the route, and ds comes home soon after it starts. I think because this part of the route drops off many siblings on 1 block. At least they are trying...

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:52 pm
It's very long. Generally the larger the school the shorter the routes are. I'd suggest talking to the school or bus driver if an earlier stop is close enough for you to waite there.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 2:56 pm
meeze wrote:

So go down to the school and drive them crazy until they do something about it. Poor little baby.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 3:00 pm
Unfortunately, being on the bus for an hour, has become the norm. The insane traffic adds alot of time to the route. There's nothing to do about it.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 3:18 pm
I'm not in BP but we've made our own stop in the morning by walking a block over and I stood at a different corner to pick them up instead of being dropped off at my door, so they were able to get off 40 minutes earlier. Can you do that?

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 4:10 pm
Bus routes are much faster when they only do corner stops. But you want to have your cake and eat it too. You want door to door but yes, it takes longer.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
It's very long. Generally the larger the school the shorter the routes are. I'd suggest talking to the school or bus driver if an earlier stop is close enough for you to waite there.

My boys were in a very large cheder in Bp and were still on the bus for an hour.
Traffic is bad.
Yeah it's not ideal but they survived to teenhood intact.
Op of it's affecting your child badly you need to find a way to get him off sooner. Maybe even walk a few blocks to a sooner stop.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 5:48 pm
OP, you can definitely keep trying to convince the school to shorten the route, but that likely won’t work. Unfortunately in a high traffic place like Brooklyn, it’s normal for a kid to be on the bus for an hour. I agree it is insane for a child that young to be on the bus so long, especially after complaining of nausea etc.
You are his parent, and you need to find a solution to this problem.

Here are some possible solutions:

Ask for a copy of the bus route and see if there is an earlier stop you can possibly pick him up from to make his trip shorter.

Rearrange your schedule so that you or your husband can pick him up from school. Or, dig into your savings or take on a new small job to allow you to afford a private driver.

Switch to a closer school (I live in Brooklyn, my personal solution to this issue is that I only send my children to schools that are walking distance until they are old enough for a bus ride).

Yes, I know a lot of the solutions proposed here are not convenient for you, or may require a lot of effort or rearranging on your part. But instead of continuing to allow your little child to suffer, how about you suffer in place of him, by implanting one of these “impractical” solutions? Otherwise, he is the korban instead of you.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:02 pm
Some people are happy that their kids are on the bus long because the kids are out longer.
My sister in law lives around the corner from the school. She puts her daughter on the bus at the beginning of the route and she travels around for an hour.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:04 pm
I mean, what do you expect the school to do? They can't control the traffic. Hiring an extra bus is expensive and there's a driver shortage. It really might not be something they can do. At most you can ask if they can switch to corners instead of door to door. Otherwise, yes, you'll have to figure out a non bus solution if you want to get him home sooner.

bsy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:22 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Some people are happy that their kids are on the bus long because the kids are out longer.
My sister in law lives around the corner from the school. She puts her daughter on the bus at the beginning of the route and she travels around for an hour.

😳😳😳😳😳

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:28 pm
meeze wrote:

Can you pick him up from school? A lot of places don’t put their 4 year olds on busses yet.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:32 pm
Good luck op!
Hope you find a workable solution fast!!!!
Can you carpool with a likeminded group of neighbors?
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:32 pm
amother Pear wrote:

I know someone else who does this. It’s so disgusting.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:52 pm
You get door to door stops? Each kid is dropped off in front of their house?

If yes, no wonder it takes so long! My daughter's bus stops at corners. It makes about 8 stops altogether. Possibly less. We have to walk 3 min down the block to take her to the bus and pick her up. But she gets home 20 min after school ends.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:57 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
I know someone else who does this. It’s so disgusting.

To the person who hugged me for saying this, are you saying you think it’s NOT disgusting for a parent to make their kid sit on the bus
for an hour, purely for their own convenience? How would you like it if someone decided to add an hour to your daily commute for no reason?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children