Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary registration first come first serve
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 11:40 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
My amazing dd didn’t get in anywhere. If I had the “pressure” of having to quickly fill out forms and send in a deposit, I would be thanking Hashem with tears in my eyes. I guess OP doesn’t understand the pain of these girls and their families.

I am so sorry for you and your daughter- the pain of this is so hard! Iy’h she’ll get into the place that’s right for her.

I don’t think this negates OP’s frustration though. Every girl is going though her own challenge with this even if some of the challenges seem “less than” others.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:20 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
My amazing dd didn’t get in anywhere. If I had the “pressure” of having to quickly fill out forms and send in a deposit, I would be thanking Hashem with tears in my eyes. I guess OP doesn’t understand the pain of these girls and their families.

I'm really sorry. May she still get into a place that'll be perfect for her and have an amazing next year!
I'm sure, OP does understand the pain, just as a married woman understands the pain of an older single but still talks about her own difficulties in marriage. Or just like a mother understands the pain of a childless women but still talks about her own difficulties with her kids. Or a mother understands the pain of another mother whose daughter still isn't in HS but talks about her issues with her daughter's HS. We aren't stupid or insensitive.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:35 am
For how many seminaries do usually girls apply?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:20 am
Sorry but no, OP's daughter isn't in pain and OP isn't either (at least according to her posts). She was feeling stressed/pressured/hurried to get the paperwork and deposit turned in, and wished that they would give families more time. It sounded like OP just bH didn't realize how the system works and that this "pressure" is actually a chesed and the seminaries trying to be sensitive to the other girls. It's ok for people to point things out on imamother and for the OP to say oh ok I guess it makes sense why they do that. Zehu.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:21 am
OP, typical is that the girls apply to 3-4 seminaries. Which is what we did.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:37 am
So for example, I remember getting accepted into my 4th choice seminary which really wasn’t suitable for me and I was on waitlist for my 2nd or 3rd choice. The sem that I was accepted into gave me 3 days to tell them if I was coming. I ended up saying no and almost losing out completely until I finally got into one I wanted. The whole system is broken.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:58 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Sorry but no, OP's daughter isn't in pain and OP isn't either (at least according to her posts). She was feeling stressed/pressured/hurried to get the paperwork and deposit turned in, and wished that they would give families more time. It sounded like OP just bH didn't realize how the system works and that this "pressure" is actually a chesed and the seminaries trying to be sensitive to the other girls. It's ok for people to point things out on imamother and for the OP to say oh ok I guess it makes sense why they do that. Zehu.

A week to respond is fine and fair. The problem is with the "first come, first serve" part, as the thread's title mentions!! Do we have those 5 days to respond or not? Do we have to be scared if we don't reply the same or next day, our girls will be "unaccepted" because of "first come, first served"?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 10:59 am
amother OP wrote:
For how many seminaries do usually girls apply?

Schools always advise 3.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:10 am
Yes I agree it's really pressurizing, and last years some girls lost their spots because the system wasn't clearly explained to the parents and they thought they had more time to give in their answers. Crying

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:22 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
So for example, I remember getting accepted into my 4th choice seminary which really wasn’t suitable for me and I was on waitlist for my 2nd or 3rd choice. The sem that I was accepted into gave me 3 days to tell them if I was coming. I ended up saying no and almost losing out completely until I finally got into one I wanted. The whole system is broken.

This year is very different. All the sems accepted on the 22nd and gave until the 26 or 27 to accept. In the past you had to answer by a certain date based on the number of sems that you got into - but not this year. So there is time during this week to be accepted into a waitlisted seminary which is why many girls were/are waiting to see if they will get a waitlist spot before accepting an acceptance

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:48 pm
Why can’t the girls who got accepted to 2-3 seems and know which slot they are taking notify the schools they aren’t interested in right away? This would help the other schools get second answers to some quicker

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:49 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Yes I agree it's really pressurizing, and last years some girls lost their spots because the system wasn't clearly explained to the parents and they thought they had more time to give in their answers. Crying

Exactly. Trust me, it's pretty stressful to think that if we answer the last or the day before the last, she might not get in, despite having an acceptance letter. And there are good reasons we haven't responded yet.

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:56 pm
My daughter got into BYA and one other and wait listed for another

They want our paperwprk back by 2/28 by 12pm or they give away her spot. We mailed it out on Friday from BK hoping it gets to Lakewood ion time Surprised

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 2:59 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
This year is very different. All the sems accepted on the 22nd and gave until the 26 or 27 to accept. In the past you had to answer by a certain date based on the number of sems that you got into - but not this year. So there is time during this week to be accepted into a waitlisted seminary which is why many girls were/are waiting to see if they will get a waitlist spot before accepting an acceptance

This isn't our situation, but girls who are waitlisted will only know whether they got accepted after the deadline, not before, so they must give answer to places they were accepted to beforehand.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

They want our paperwprk back by 2/28 by 12pm or they give away her spot. We mailed it out on Friday from BK hoping it gets to Lakewood ion time Surprised

It will, but you can also email it to them now. Or just email saying you mailed it.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:08 pm
amother Ballota wrote:

Please call them and tell them

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:10 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Please call them and tell them

I had spoken to the money person on Thursday so I told him we were going to mail it out

Thank you

amother
Ballota

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
It will, but you can also email it to them now. Or just email saying you mailed it.

Good idea. I will

Thank you

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

Mabye all except Mesores Rochel, there was no date on the letter. I didn't check it out further because my daughter preferred a different sem that she was accepted to.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 3:12 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
This isn't our situation, but girls who are waitlisted will only know whether they got accepted after the deadline, not before, so they must give answer to places they were accepted to beforehand.

This is not accurate- spots open as girls turn them down and there is a very good chance of getting one before the deadline if you are on top of the list. The sems are not going to wait until round 2 and possibly lose the top of the listers because they’ve already accepted elsewhere.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info