Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O onesies- Is it also dysfunctional not to put your child
1  2  Next

Do you children wear undershirts (post diaper to pre puberty)
Every single day  
 34%  [ 49 ]
Never  
 41%  [ 60 ]
Yes except when it’s really hot  
 24%  [ 35 ]
Total Votes : 144

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:15 am
In undershirts once they are done with diapers?

My son wears undershirt tzizis most days except when it’s really hot or when he doesn’t want to. Not something I feel thats worth the fight. He dresses warmly enough.

My mother used to scream at us when we were younger and didn’t wear one (pre puberty obviously). Come to think of it, I’m not sure why…

I really don’t see why it’s necessary on a hot day.

What do you do?

essie14

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:17 am
DD6- only when it's cold outside.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:17 am
My boys wear always because of Tzitzis.
My daughter doesn’t besides for the winter time when she feels cold. My mother thinks it’s wrong and not tzniusdig.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:18 am
My kids don't wear an undershirt in the summer, unless the girls are wearing something really thin.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:18 am
My boys wear undershirts under their tzitizis. My girls only wear if the shirt needs it for whatever reason.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:19 am
Nope. My boys wear them once they start wearing tzitzis. My girls never do, even when it's cold. I don't dress my babies in layers either, unless it's very cold.

Are there adults out there who wear undershirts every day? If not, why would kids need them?

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:25 am
Boys yes. Girls when they feel like it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:31 am
Nope. I never bought undershirts. If she needed two layers, she wore a shirt, long ir short sleeve, and sweatshirt or sweater. If it wasnt cold, just one layer.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:42 am
Default in this house is kids wear undershirts every day, definitely always under uniform shirts because to me it seems uncomfortable to wear without.

When it comes to out of school, where I live its generally only too hot for undershirts for about 3 weeks out of the year so on those days I will skip the undershirts, or if we vacations somewhere very hot. It feels so freeing lol, one less thing to launder fold and lay out on the kids pile. When my girls start wearing crop tops then they wear every day even when very hot.

But it isn't really something I have very strong feelings about, it's just what I've always done and I don't give it much thought. I would never call it dysfunctional to not wear an undershirt.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:44 am
Yes. My 8 year old wears undershirts every single day. Sleeveless in summer long sleeve in winter short sleeves in between.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:01 am
Boys yes because the tzitzis go on top.
Girls I bought for them but they didn't want to. They don't mind the uniform shirts against their skin. I won't force it.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:05 am
I don't wear undershirts. I don't plan to get for my girls unless they want. My boys, I will start when they are ready for tzitzis. Nothing between onesie age and that.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:19 am
I guess we are dysfunctional cause I don't even think to put my older kids in undershirts and they never asked. My son wears the undershirt type of tzitzit. I like one for myself (guess I am selfish) and recently started putting one on baby under a zipup as I don't want zipper uncomfortable. I guess my girls...gulp... may need therapy.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:20 am
Y'all wear tights on your skin? That is the only reason why I wear a vest, I find it so much more comfortable. I wear the air ones from uniqlo, those are very thin and do not make me feel more hot in the summer.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:31 am
Dysfunctional? Ya gotta love the way imas throw around psychology terms like candy at an aufruf. I happen to love hyperbole as a form of emphatic humor, but you don't appear to be laughing.

Read my lips: Doing things your way, even if "everyone" on your block does them differently, does not a dysfunction make. According to Wikipedia, A dysfunctional family is a family in which conflict, misbehavior, and often child neglect or abuse and sometimes even all of the above on the part of individual parents occur continuously and regularly, leading other members to accommodate such actions.

There was a time in history and among certain social classes that a man was considered borderline n*ked if he appeared in shirtsleeves with no jacket. There was a time in fairly recent history that American women didn't go out of the house without gloves and some flimsy excuse for a hat. There are societies in which a woman is considered worse than naked if she appears in public with her face uncovered. None of this applies to Western society today, and there's no need to apply archaic standards to current life.

Undershirts were necessary in an era before wash machines, when outer garments were washed infrequently and needed protection from sweat and body oils. Outer garments may also have been made of fibers that were scratchy and irritating, and an undergarment helped to protect the skin. (Sometimes, though, it was the undergarment that was irritating. Ask your great-granddad about woolen gadkes.) An undergarment was smaller, easier to wash, and did not require pressing.
None of this is true today except, perhaps, the skin irritation part. Some people have problems with certain fabrics, metal snaps and zippers, bulky seams and the like, in which case they need an undergarment. Males wearing tzitzit would probably want to shield them from sweat and body oils, and some people might want undershirts with sleeves to protect their shirts from underarm sweat stains.

Otherwise, an undershirt is fully optional. Although I have to admit that I don't like the look of men in light-colored cut-and-sewn shirts with no undershirts. It just strikes me as a little sleazy. Little kids are a whole different story, and an undershirt under a cotton knit shirt seems redundant unless it's being worn for extra warmth.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 12:01 pm
I think parents that don't provide and dress all their children in undershirts should be reported to CPS. Same goes for onesies.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 12:05 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I think parents that don't provide and dress all their children in undershirts should be reported to CPS. Same goes for onesies.

Also if they don't tip their child's teachers.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 12:28 pm
Or buy them cotton candy on the way out of the circus.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 1:31 pm
My boys decided they need undershirts around age 8.
My girls wear a shell if the top is not tznius without.
I can’t be bothered with too many layers with babies. I prefer outer layers in the cold weather.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 1:46 pm
I grew up always wearing undershirts and hated it. Never got them for my kids. My boys wear undershirt tzitzis but that's it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children