Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
So so tired

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:15 am
I'm so burnt out at work. My job, while not high-level at all, comes with a lot of pressure and many varied responsibilities. I'm pretty much dumped with whatever odd jobs need to get done.

The company culture is all about going "above and beyond", being available whenever you're needed, sometimes even after hours. I'm very much about boundaries. What's the point of work if you can't spend time with your family?

Yesterday, I got spoken to because my productivity is down. There are just so many different responsibilities and I'm having a hard time prioritizing.

I also forgot to mention that I'm in my first trimester and feeling really low energy, but I haven't told them yet.

Part of me dreams of getting fired and taking a good couple of months to rest, but a) not sure about looking for a new job while pregnant and b) I keep telling myself to stick it out until I give birth and then leave, but that's in a while.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:28 am
While company cultures expect above and beyond, since Covid, the employees culture has been to start setting real limits and boundaries and to do the work you are being paid to do, and nothing more. Above and beyond (ie, skipping lunch, working outside paid hours, doubling down to do the work of two people with the salary of one) benefits the employer and not the employee. It's ok to do what you are paid to do, it's no longer ok for employers to expect us to work on our free time. People are no longer going above and beyond unless they are paid for it, and I am here for it.

There is a lot to be said for finding a job where the company culture values you as a person and does not see you as a productivity machine who has no life outside of work.

(This comment is referring to the non-heimish work sector - I have no idea what the rules and expectations are in the heimish sector.)

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:29 am
Maybe in this case you should tell them you’re in your first trimester, and therefore have less energy than you normally do.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:35 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
Maybe in this case you should tell them you’re in your first trimester, and therefore have less energy than you normally do.

True, but I was feeling this even before I got pregnant, albeit less intensly.

JenniferK

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:36 am
Can you afford to quit?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:37 am
watergirl wrote:
While company cultures expect above and beyond, since Covid, the employees culture has been to start setting real limits and boundaries and to do the work you are being paid to do, and nothing more. Above and beyond (ie, skipping lunch, working outside paid hours, doubling down to do the work of two people with the salary of one) benefits the employer and not the employee. It's ok to do what you are paid to do, it's no longer ok for employers to expect us to work on our free time. People are no longer going above and beyond unless they are paid for it, and I am here for it.

There is a lot to be said for finding a job where the company culture values you as a person and does not see you as a productivity machine who has no life outside of work.

(This comment is referring to the non-heimish work sector - I have no idea what the rules and expectations are in the heimish sector.)

I don’t know. As much as my company values family time etc . , they still want everyone going above and beyond . They want you to live and breathe work. They repeat it on all company meetings. Especially now with the economy. They layed off people and want people to take on the work of all those layed off. So people are putting in way more work now than 2 years ago. It doesn’t matter what department you are in. Non heimish sector.

amother
OP

watergirl wrote:

This describes my workplace exactly. It's heimish and the expectation is "why wouldn't you want to work overtime? We're doing so much chesed! Do you not want to help others?"

amother
OP

JenniferK wrote:
Can you afford to quit?

Possibly for a couple of months.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:
This describes my workplace exactly. It's heimish and the expectation is "why wouldn't you want to work overtime? We're doing so much chesed! Do you not want to help others?"
chesed begins at home.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:39 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I don’t know. As much as my company values family time etc . , they still want everyone going above and beyond . They want you to live and breathe work. They repeat it on all company meetings. Especially now with the economy. They layed off people and want people to take on the work of all those layed off. So people are putting in way more work now than 2 years ago. It doesn’t matter what department you are in. Non heimish sector.

Then that is not a company I would be willing to work for. I expect to be paid a fair wage for the work I do and if the company does not value me but expects me to make the owner profit, it's a no for me. I will live and breathe work while I am at work, but I also expect to have my lunch break (a mandatory unpaid 30-mins where I live), and I also value my employer because they know I have a family and from time to time I have to take a personal call, and that's ok.

watergirl

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:

Yes! I would love to help others! When I am paid for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics