Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Am I being cheap/unreasonable?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:20 pm
I’ll start off by saying that I bh have a decent income for my stage of life. We make around 200k combined and have one toddler. I have always been a big sale shopper- I like looking good and also love finding deals and mostly shop at stores like TheRealReal or Yoox. That being said, I find clothing shopping for my son to be really eye opening. Even cheaper stores that have been recommended on this site such as Lulu are selling toddler sweaters for 50.00. When I scroll through these sites I can’t help but think-who is paying these prices- and for multiple kids, too! How are people okay spending so much on kids clothing? Or is the answer that there is little choice? I did well on Aliexpress but couldn’t find any nice baby knitwear on Zara or H and M this year. Still, I am left wondering how average people who are shopping cheaper stores are outfitting a family, let alone the people who are frequenting the regular children’s boutiques.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:24 pm
Youre not crazy I live in town where people do buy spend those prices andd I cant understand it
But if I had such an income idk how I would hold myself back from not buying what everyone else has

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:24 pm
I only buy my kids clothing from target. we get a lot of hand me downs. I don't think you are being cheap but I guess depends where you live. where I live this is totally fine and normal

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:25 pm
I make a lot less than you and never shop in frum stores. My 2 year olds wardrobe is exclusively H&M and most of my 8 year olds too.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:27 pm
Depending on where you live, it may seem like most people shop in these expensive stores. But in reality, most people are NOT shopping there. Most people shop at Target, Old Navy, etc. and similar priced stores.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:27 pm
I hate shopping and I hate finding deals. I like to get shopping done as fast as possible so convenience wins.

scruffy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:28 pm
You're not being unreasonable.

80% of the kids' clothes I buy are Target, Old Navy, Aliexpress, and H & M. The remaining 20% are on sale from frum stores.

That said, every community has what they spend on. In some communities, everyone wears cheap clothing but goes on expensive vacations. Etc

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:34 pm
Next direct has cute boys sweaters
For girls Zara has loads this season

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:37 pm
amother Green wrote:
Youre not crazy I live in town where people do buy spend those prices andd I cant understand it
But if I had such an income idk how I would hold myself back from not buying what everyone else has

I live in Brooklyn! But not worth it for me to give in to that pressure. I’d rather save for a house somewhere that isn’t Brooklyn Wink

bsy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:42 pm
In my opinion, it's unreasonable to spend those prices. I shop sales or not Jewish stores

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:47 pm
IMHO you are thrifty Smile
You have a goal to save to something more important.

scintilla

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 3:56 pm
You're definitely not being unreasonable! I have about a quarter of your income with two kids and I dress them very nicely without ever spending $50 on one sweater or close. I do very well shopping at Shein, gap, target, children's place and occasionally Amazon, plus tottini and mon cheri (usually only on sale) if I don't find on the other places for shabbos and yom tov. Sometimes stores that sell higher quality items will have really good sales, usually end of season, and then I'll get a few things for the next season if the prices are right and I like what's left at that point! I like Bon Knit and Mina Usa for that idea (both frum brands).

However I want to make two points that may be relevant to you:

- quality, sometimes the more expensive brands last longer and wash better (no pilling, stains come out more). Not always but it pays to know which ones especially if you will keep clothes for future kids

- time is money. At your income level it may not pay for you to spend the time it takes to find the good deals and save that money. It may pay better for you to get the $50 sweater and do something else with that time saved. For me, it's not. For you, it may be - it really depends on your situation.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:01 pm
I find the obsession over what others spend to be in really bad taste. You do what works for you, why do you have to ask about anyone’s spending habits?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:03 pm
DH and I make less than half of what you do combined, and I rarely shop in Jewish stores. Usually just for basic shabbos pants for my son. Otherwise its hand me downs and target/h&m/old navy/gap etc

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:07 pm
I do mostly kidichic. I rarely go into anything more expensive unless I have a simcha or something. I don't usually have any luck in h&m or Zara or Gap. Sometimes I can find an Old Navy.

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:08 pm
Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to waste it, you're doing good OP. I shop SheIn for everyone but my husband, and when I drive down 13th Ave and see a good sale I partake.

Last edited by hodeez on Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in Brooklyn! But not worth it for me to give in to that pressure. I’d rather save for a house somewhere that isn’t Brooklyn Wink

I live in Brooklyn too and don't feel such pressure. I shop mostly target, hm, old navy etc...for my oldest dd il do some Jewish stores but I try to get it on sale the season before. Most of my neighbors shop like me too.

eduardo

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:12 pm
I do find it kind of interesting how you are okay spending on designer clothes, even at discounts, but $50 for a kids outfit seems unreasonable to you.

I am a bit the same way with certain things I guess. I’ll spend thousands of dollars on a pair of shoes, but think $25 is way too much for a new book. I’d rather wait a few months till it goes on sale to like $14 😂

Also I’d just like to say- since I don’t know what you actually buy on TheRealReal- but a lot of items are actually fake. They are known to not have a reliable authentication team.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:18 pm
amother Offwhite wrote:
I find the obsession over what others spend to be in really bad taste. You do what works for you, why do you have to ask about anyone’s spending habits?

This is the beauty of asking anonymously. If you can’t relate to it, then no need to get involved.
I find criticizing other people’s questions in bad taste too..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 27 2023, 4:22 pm
eduardo wrote:
I do find it kind of interesting how you are okay spending on designer clothes, even at discounts, but $50 for a kids outfit seems unreasonable to you.

I am a bit the same way with certain things I guess. I’ll spend thousands of dollars on a pair of shoes, but think $25 is way too much for a new book. I’d rather wait a few months till it goes on sale to like $14 😂

Also I’d just like to say- since I don’t know what you actually buy on TheRealReal- but a lot of items are actually fake. They are known to not have a reliable authentication team.

Yes , this is why I was asking. I like nice things and I pay discounted prices for nice designer clothing. I wear my clothing to their death. I just can’t bring myself to spend it on clothing for a 15 month old.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics