Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Would I be crazy?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:44 pm
My cleaning lady just informed me that she’s quitting. She was my dream cleaning lady in every single way. She was fast, thorough and minded her own business. I am a perfectionist by nature and a bit of a control freak. I don’t enjoy cleaning ladies unless they live up to my expectations and do things exactly the way that I like them. Finding someone new that I like is going to be very very hard. On another note, we’re currently in debt quite a bit. I just calculated that if I go without cleaning help for the next 8 months I can wipe out our debt completely. Would I be nuts to try to manage the cleaning on my own? For what it’s worth, we’re a family of 6 and have 5 bedrooms and 3 daily used bathrooms. Is this realistic?

my mama

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:47 pm
It could happen if you have the energy to do it. Figure out a realistic schedule for yourself to see if you can manage it on your own. Are your kids old enough to have chores/be responsible for cleaning their own rooms?

If you do it, make sure to actually put the money aside every week otherwise it might disappear and get used on daily living expenses.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:47 pm
You might have to lower your standards, ask everyone in the family to do an extra job. Use cleaning hacks to make things faster.

hodeez

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:48 pm
Yah if you push yourself and get your kids to pitch in. I would say to drop your standards during this time but you said you're a perfectionist so.. do what you can Smile

dina125

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:48 pm
Go for it! You can always reassess if doesn't work out well.

ellacoe

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:54 pm
You can try it. But also bear in mind that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You could have someone come in once or twice a week and just do the stuff that you really hate doing or don't have time get to. You will still be saving money, it just might take a drop longer but it is a form of compromise.

mikayla18

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:56 pm
I think the feeling of accomplishment that you get after clearing your debt will make everything worth it! And "pay yourself" for each hour that you clean (or your kids) like every time you wash dishes, give yourself $15 to pay down your debt! It makes you feel so good watching the number go down. Good luck!!

amother
Maroon

I wouldn't feel comfortable paying for cleaning help if I was in debt

amother
Valerian

I have same family size and 5 bedrooms/4 bathrooms and went years without help. My house was flying sometimes and dh did a ton though.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:57 pm
If you have the time and energy to do your own cleaning, then it's a great idea.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 8:59 pm
If it means it’ll pay off your debt go for it. If it gets too hard you can always change .

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:06 pm
Personally it would feel crazy to me to have a cleaning lady if I was in debt. Unless you mean like a mortgadge? Car payment? Student loan? Medical debt? Also it sounds it will be quite a hassle to find a new one. So try without.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:11 pm
Thanks all for the input. I feel very encouraged. For those of you that said I shouldn’t have cleaning help if I’m in debt well…I’m not sure that’s quite so fair to say. Debt can happen to anyone. It doesn’t mean they need to throw their whole life upside down because of it. We’ve been systematically paying it down it’s just not going fast enough.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:14 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Personally it would feel crazy to me to have a cleaning lady if I was in debt. Unless you mean like a mortgadge? Car payment? Student loan? Medical debt? Also it sounds it will be quite a hassle to find a new one. So try without.

Having debt and having. A cleaning lady are not either or.
Cleaning help can be like bread and water for some. For others it’s not.

Op definitely try it but lemme tell you it’s not as easy as it sounds. You’ll have to drop your standards and you’ll have to get your family to chip in.
Making a schedule also helps.
Monday x room and bathroom
Tuesday y and z
Etc etc.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:17 pm
I would not give up a cleaning lady because I rely on her like I rely on oxygen. Shes my lifesaver.

But if you think you can manage without her definitely give it up for the next few months. If you see it's really not working you can always reevaluate.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:18 pm
It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.
You can go without cleaning help for a few weeks, then take someone as a one time thing to freshen up thoroughly , then go another few weeks without and again once in a while.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 9:33 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable paying for cleaning help if I was in debt

This. I personally am a surprised anyone would make this choice. Of course you should get rid of the cleaning lady

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:21 am
How often do you have help?

Maybe just cut hours to your hardest things to do.
For ex 3 bathrooms only. Might take 9-10 months to pay off debt but at least you won’t feel totally abandoned.

Or just stop and you can always start again if you’re not managing and add an hour at a time till it’s doable?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:31 am
amother Pear wrote:
How often do you have help?

Maybe just cut hours to your hardest things to do.
For ex 3 bathrooms only. Might take 9-10 months to pay off debt but at least you won’t feel totally abandoned.

Or just stop and you can always start again if you’re not managing and add an hour at a time till it’s doable?

It’s a good idea in theory but hard to find any help that will come for just 2-3 hours a week

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 8:32 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks all for the input. I feel very encouraged. For those of you that said I shouldn’t have cleaning help if I’m in debt well…I’m not sure that’s quite so fair to say. Debt can happen to anyone. It doesn’t mean they need to throw their whole life upside down because of it. We’ve been systematically paying it down it’s just not going fast enough.

Of course debt can happen to anyone and nobody is saying its your fault. But it's up to you if you want to get out of it or not. You have a pretty easy way to get out of it...by getting rid of your cleaning lady. If the debt bothers you that much get rid of her. I personally wouldn't have a cleaning lady if I was in debt. I think it's a luxury. Life isn't fair and sometimes we do things we don't want to. I don't like to clean and would love to have someone keep my home spotless for me, but I don't want the consequences of going into debt for it. I would also love not to work. And one can say it's not fair why do I have to work when others don't. But that's life and part of being an adult. We make choices and have to deal with the consequences.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics