Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is this chametz gamur?
1  2  Next

honey36

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:18 pm
We try not to sell any chametz gamur on pesach.

I'm wondering if things like rice krispies or pringles fall into this category? Rice krispies contain barley malt and Pringles have wheat starch, but I assume they are less than 1/60th of the total product and therefore would be okay, but I'm not sure? My rav says it's okay if it's less than 1/60th but how can I know for sure? Anyone know?

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:25 pm
If it's written in ingredients than it's probably not a minute amount. I would not sell it then. Whatever had wheat or yeast in ingredient list I removed. Whatever said may contain gluten or may have traces of wheat, I left because if it not written in ingredient list they just write it out as a precaution for allergies if it had cross contamination

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:27 pm
Both Chometz gamur unless it says on the label less than 1% (which I think kellogs does) but I’m not sure how you can know if that is 1/60
How much do you have of each? Can you Just use them up?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:27 pm
dankbar wrote:
If it's written in ingredients than it's probably not a minute amount. I would not sell it then. Whatever had wheat or yeast in ingredient list I removed. Whatever said may contain gluten or may have traces of wheat, I left because if it not written in ingredient list they just write it out as a precaution for allergies if it had cross contamination

Yeast is not chometz but barley is , and so is anything with malt

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:42 pm
What about maltodextrin?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:46 pm
dankbar wrote:
What about maltodextrin?

Is gluten free so not chometz

In general when questioning an ingredient you can google to see if it’s gluten free. If it is, it’s not chometz, unless it’s something with oats.

dankbar

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:48 pm
I googled maltodextrin says usually made from corn but could also be made of potato, wheat, tapioca, rice...

I googled dextrose says it's considered gluten free for celiacs but made if wheat

I googled malt says its a grain that heated up with water

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 4:55 pm
honey36 wrote:
We try not to sell any chametz gamur on pesach.

I'm wondering if things like rice krispies or pringles fall into this category? Rice krispies contain barley malt and Pringles have wheat starch, but I assume they are less than 1/60th of the total product and therefore would be okay, but I'm not sure? My rav says it's okay if it's less than 1/60th but how can I know for sure? Anyone know?

Yes

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 8:03 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Both Chometz gamur unless it says on the label less than 1% (which I think kellogs does) but I’m not sure how you can know if that is 1/60
How much do you have of each? Can you Just use them up?

One percent means 1/100. That's less than 1/60 no matter how much you have

YounginBP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 2:34 pm
Modified food starch? chometz?

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:04 pm
Wheat germ is not chometz gamur according to my rav

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:07 pm
OP, just curious. Do you not sell anything or do you sell kidniyot?

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:08 pm
One minute - the issue of batel beshishim DOES NOT apply to chametz. It's about basar bechalav. Chametz is not batel beshishim. Even a trace amount is a problem.

Editing to add: I just saw that you said your Rav holds 1/60th is fine. Please double check that.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
One minute - the issue of batel beshishim DOES NOT apply to chametz. It's about basar bechalav. Chametz is not batel beshishim. Even a trace amount is a problem.

Editing to add: I just saw that you said your Rav holds 1/60th is fine. Please double check that.

Chametz is batel before Pesach, but not during the chag.

Trademark

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:15 pm
We do, if it's not in the first three ingredients, we sell it.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:16 pm
YounginBP wrote:
Modified food starch? chometz?

No, it’s made of corn or tapioca

Can you tell I have a gluten free kid LOL

honey36

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:27 pm
amother Tan wrote:
OP, just curious. Do you not sell anything or do you sell kidniyot?

We do sell but only our keilim, the the chametz that is batel as someone else wrote. I think we are allowed to own kitniyot on pesach but yes, we sell it as a precaution in case there is some chometz that is somehow mixed in.

honey36

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:28 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
Chametz is batel before Pesach, but not during the chag.

Right, this is what we hold.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:31 pm
honey36 wrote:
We do sell but only our keilim, the the chametz that is batel as someone else wrote. I think we are allowed to own kitniyot on pesach but yes, we sell it as a precaution in case there is some chometz that is somehow mixed in.

If you sell your utensils to a non-Jew, you're going to have to tovel them after yom tov. What would be the point of that?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 3:35 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
If you sell your utensils to a non-Jew, you're going to have to tovel them after yom tov. What would be the point of that?

Exactly. We sell the chometz that is on or in our keilim since kashering then every year after pesach could get complicated.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics