Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Sneakers for HS daughter
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:13 am
What sneakers did your BY daughter buy for this season? Tristate area. Is everyone spending 200 on sneakers? What cheaper brands are considered socially acceptable?

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 12:27 am
amother OP wrote:
What sneakers did your BY daughter buy for this season? Tristate area. Is everyone spending 200 on sneakers? What cheaper brands are considered socially acceptable?

Following

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:06 am
amother OP wrote:

Following

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:11 am
White Adidas, $60 from local Kohl's. Definitely no $200 sneakers...

Edited to add Lakewood mainstream BY

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:12 am
No. Lakewood mainstream BY. We bought one dd sneakers at Step In Elegance during their 70% off sale, one ordered online for around $70, and one is still deciding but knows better than to ask for sneakers that cost $200 😉.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 1:33 pm
What are the sneakers that everyone is wearing for $200?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 2:19 pm
Rag and Bone on sale 125.
Lakewood balabatish

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 2:24 pm
Monsey ny
Keds, about $50.
She was debating between that pair, a converse pair, and an adidas pair, all in the 50-60$ range

Eta I had no idea people spent 200 on sneakers. Sheesh

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Rag and Bone on sale 125.
Lakewood balabatish

How did you find out about them?

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 7:58 pm
What sneakers are in for ladies?

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:05 pm
groisamomma wrote:
No. Lakewood mainstream BY. We bought one dd sneakers at Step In Elegance during their 70% off sale, one ordered online for around $70, and one is still deciding but knows better than to ask for sneakers that cost $200 😉.

What brand?

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:35 pm
I’m going nuts one of my hs girls found for 200 on sals off fifth the Valentino sneakers. My other hs girl still wants the Alexander McQueen ones. It’s not normal how certain things have become mainstream. I’d rather my daughters be busy with this rather than boys, movies, drugs..

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:44 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
I’m going nuts one of my hs girls found for 200 on sals off fifth the Valentino sneakers. My other hs girl still wants the Alexander McQueen ones. It’s not normal how certain things have become mainstream. I’d rather my daughters be busy with this rather than boys, movies, drugs..

Lol it's not one or the other. You can not spend 200 on shoes and not have your daughters busy with boys, movies, and drugs. You can also spend a fortune on shoes and still have your daughter busy with things she shouldn't be. There's really no correlation.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:50 pm
Dd just asked for a pair for camp for about $180. I told her I’ll discuss with my husband. I don’t even spend that much on myself. We’re not like that, where do these girls get this ideas from? Problem is she knows we can well afford it. I just don’t prioritize name brands, I spend on other things (extra curricular activities, cleaning help, courses, etc. not dumb things lie, high end clothing that gets given away a year later.)

I really want to say no. But I say no so often to these things, she’s always so disappointed. I’m probably going to allow 2-3 name brand items for the season and the rest normal stuff.

Any chinuch experts want to chime in here?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 8:53 pm
amother Garnet wrote:

Your daughter must have found the same Valentino sneakers that my daughter wants! I just can't believe it. When did these become the standard mainstream sneakers.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Dd just asked for a pair for camp for about $180. I told her I’ll discuss with my husband. I don’t even spend that much on myself. We’re not like that, where do these girls get this ideas from? Problem is she knows we can well afford it. I just don’t prioritize name brands, I spend on other things (extra curricular activities, cleaning help, courses, etc. not dumb things lie, high end clothing that gets given away a year later.)

I really want to say no. But I say no so often to these things, she’s always so disappointed. I’m probably going to allow 2-3 name brand items for the season and the rest normal stuff.

Any chinuch experts want to chime in here?

Can I be your friend?! I am no chinuch expert but my daughter does the same with different pieces of clothing. Casually asks if I can get her xyz expensive status items, way more than I’d ever dream!! At a certain point I just realized how important it is to put my foot down regardless of our financial status. She needs to learn what is normal, and what is excessive. Now, I just tell her what the spending max is per item. I say a dollar amount that is mentsclich and even on the generous side. But not over the top. If she wants an item badly enough she can pay for the balance with her own money. BH it’s worked out well so far. She knows that I will happily outfit her with a realistic budget and can use critical thinking and her own cash when she wants something a little “extra.”

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 10:10 pm
My HS daughter just asked for Veja sneakers. She found on ebay for 80 but they retail for $175. I have a problem with her getting them even for the cheaper price because it puts pressure on her classmates to get similar things. Not sure how we're going to deal with this one yet...

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Apr 16 2023, 11:14 pm
Another raspberry

How does your dd feel about using her own money? I’ve also done that in the past, given dd the amount I felt was decent for an item and then she can add her own money to it. But she was so devastated, got a little emotional about it…I’m deciding between doing that for now ( I’d give $100 towards sneakers, I think that’s fine) or put my foot down and just say find a pair for $100.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:01 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
My HS daughter just asked for Veja sneakers. She found on ebay for 80 but they retail for $175. I have a problem with her getting them even for the cheaper price because it puts pressure on her classmates to get similar things. Not sure how we're going to deal with this one yet...

According to my teens Vejas are in this summer

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 1:11 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
According to my teens Vejas are in this summer

Oy… I feel bad for my teens because I won’t be buying them. Same way I won’t buy hard tail tops. There are plenty of other nice tops out there that don’t sport a name brand and that’s what we buy. Same for sneakers. They probably think it’s no big deal because when they wanted adidas or pumas I bought it. It has to end somewhere. Sneakers for $175 that will just be worn for a few months is really crazy. I feel bad for the insecure girls who will be wearing them. They probably feel like this will make them look great in everyone’s eyes. ..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics