Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
A couple's getaway- brainstorm please with me?
Previous  1  2

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:28 am
Memphis Tennessee.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 8:33 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Vermont is beautiful and pretty empty now. You can go on chair lifts, there’s some nice trails and hikes. We’ve been to a nice outdoor mall. Not sure about indoor.

Thank you,
This is really far, but as I was looking at the map I realized that since we are travelling with kids we can actually make the trip with stopovers and sleepovers much more easily.
Like, if we decide on Vermont we can stop and sleep at Niagara to break up the trip and on the way home take a different route and stop somewhere else.
Hmmm.
We can theoretically do this for TN or another farther place too.
I forget that without the kids with us it is easier to sleepover places on the way and make the drive easier.

Zahava94

Post Mon, Apr 17 2023, 10:29 am
Hocking Hills, Ohio
Seneca Rocks / Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
Red River Gorge, Kentucky

All should be within a day's drive, all have access to beautiful and abundant nature, and all have a variety of options for lodging. If you aren't decided yet on time of year, I highly recommend fall over spring. No allergy issues, colorful foliage, cooler temperatures.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 7:29 am
Zahava94 wrote:
Hocking Hills, Ohio
Seneca Rocks / Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
Red River Gorge, Kentucky

All should be within a day's drive, all have access to beautiful and abundant nature, and all have a variety of options for lodging. If you aren't decided yet on time of year, I highly recommend fall over spring. No allergy issues, colorful foliage, cooler temperatures.

Thank you,
I actually totally forgot about Hocking Hills. I've been wanting to go there for years, but it never worked out. Definitely a real option!
Thing is, I don't really want to only do nature. I wanted some other activities along with it. I'll have to see what other things interests us in these areas.

And yes, Fall does sound better but for a few things- I have a simcha coming up in the fall plus my in laws, who are the babysitters, are getting older and although they offered to watch the kids- I'm not sure what waiting another half a year will bring (they should be well!). I know it is Hash-em who is in charge and even planning something a week from now can be changed- but I'm just thinking of logical hishtadlus.

So, now we are just waiting if my husband has a break from work, in any case. He is self employed and is busy now. Fall may work out better regarding that too. We'll see...

Thanks for all the ideas!

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 7:47 am
You are travelling with kids?

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 8:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you,
I actually totally forgot about Hocking Hills. I've been wanting to go there for years, but it never worked out. Definitely a real option!
Thing is, I don't really want to only do nature. I wanted some other activities along with it. I'll have to see what other things interests us in these areas.

I thought of Hocking Hills when responding yesterday, but assumed that you wanted something a little farther and out-of-state. Also, as much as we enjoyed a few short hikes there, we were only there for a few hours, and as nice as the people were in nearby Columbus, I definitely wouldn't want to spend a 4-day getaway there. I think Kentucky is a much better option.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 9:31 am
doctorima wrote:
I thought of Hocking Hills when responding yesterday, but assumed that you wanted something a little farther and out-of-state. Also, as much as we enjoyed a few short hikes there, we were only there for a few hours, and as nice as the people were in nearby Columbus, I definitely wouldn't want to spend a 4-day getaway there. I think Kentucky is a much better option.

Thank you,
Yes I did want something more out of state :-) But, this post reminded me that I had wanted to go to Hocking Hills. But, you are right, we'll be better off going a little bit further. Kentucky is definitely one of the options too- just need to know what there is to do there. I'm holding off on real research right now because DH is busy anyway and I have other work to do now. But, if you have any ideas, I'll write them down!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 9:31 am
amother Pewter wrote:
You are travelling with kids?

No

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 9:44 am
What are you looking for? Nature? Adventure?
If you decide to fly I highly recommend Yellowstone National Park.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics