Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you buy from divorced couple
1  2  3  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:45 am
A beautiful home came into the market. When I looked at the history of the house I realized the house was bought a year ago by the current wonders. When I asked the agents why they're selling she said the (Jewish) couple is getting divorced. Would you feel comfortable buying this home?
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:47 am
Of course I would!
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:47 am
Why not? One couple bought it and got divorced? No big deal in terms of buying the house.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:48 am
Chayalle wrote:
Why not? One couple bought it and got divorced? No big deal in terms of buying the house.


What about Mazel? Do you feel is a bad omen on the house? Like this house has bad Mazel?
Back to top

amother
Yellow


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:
What about Mazel? Do you feel is a bad omen on the house? Like this house has bad Mazel?


No. That’s crazy talk.
Back to top

amother
Latte


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:51 am
amother Yellow wrote:
No. That’s crazy talk.


in my community there actually is a house that is 'cursed'

the original owners, and anyone who bought it after has suffered a crazy freak tzara after buying it.

I dont know if it means anything but you coudlnt pay me to buy that house!!

that being said I would buy a house from a divorced couple..
Back to top

Anonymiss 1




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:52 am
amother OP wrote:
What about Mazel? Do you feel is a bad omen on the house? Like this house has bad Mazel?


The thought would literally never occur to me. Despite some customs that snuck into popular practice, Jews are NOT supposed to be superstitious.
Back to top

amother
NeonGreen


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 10:57 am
amother Yellow wrote:
No. That’s crazy talk.


It's not crazy talk. My friend suffered through years of infertility & terrible losses. Till their Rav advised them to look in to the history of their home. The couple that lived there before also suffered from infertility, the couple the lived there before that couple got divorced & another family that lived there lost a child. My friend moved & now has a beautiful family bh.

OP, I wouldn't say an outright no. Maybe discuss it with your Rav.
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:02 am
The majority of Houses in my community are only for sale if someone died or got divorced. I wouldn’t consider that an issue for even a second
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:03 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
It's not crazy talk. My friend suffered through years of infertility & terrible losses. Till their Rav advised them to look in to the history of their home. The couple that lived there before also suffered from infertility, the couple the lived there before that couple got divorced & another family that lived there lost a child. My friend moved & now has a beautiful family bh.

OP, I wouldn't say an outright no. Maybe discuss it with your Rav.


Please explain how this works. GD punished her because she lives in the house???
Back to top

amother
Maroon


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:07 am
If its just one divorced couple, then yes, sure!
But if the house has a history of tzaros then I'd look into more details/speak to a Rav.

Growing up, there was a close family friend of ours whose young child had cancer r"l. They lived in condos and every neighbor also had some kind of issue. Eventually they found out that each of those condos used to be 1 family homes and the contractor had closed up a window/door in each unit when converting them. The situation was fixed and bH all the issues resolved.

There's another area in Lakewood where fruit trees were uprooted to build a development. The amount of sick people in that area is very very disproportionate. I don't know what was done about it but I would never buy a house there.

There's an apt for rent in the area I live that has had 5(!!) newlywed couples move in and get divorced shortly afterward. I would not recommend this apt to anyone. One couple? Yes. Two? OK. Three? Weird. Five?! Keep away!!!!!
Back to top

amother
Orchid


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:07 am
Buy it and make it an Airbnb for intermarried couples.

Kidding LOL
Back to top

tweety1




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:07 am
You should just make sure that they're both on the same page. I know of a house in my neighborhood that was being sold for this reason. One spouse sold it without permission from the other. Spouse put on a lien on the property. Buyers were told that both spouse agree to sell the house. Buyers couldn't move in. I don't know the end result.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:08 am
amother OP wrote:
What about Mazel? Do you feel is a bad omen on the house? Like this house has bad Mazel?

Omens is not a Jewish concept and it's assur to ascribe power to it.

https://outorah.org/p/6531/

https://www.chabad.org/library.....3.htm
Back to top

amother
Hotpink


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:11 am
Interesting.

I’ve heard people are wary, also of illness but it might be superstitious

It’s really personal if ur feeling weirded out by it don’t you’ll always use that as to why weird things are happening if you buy it.
Back to top

watergirl




 
 
    
 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:16 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
It's not crazy talk. My friend suffered through years of infertility & terrible losses. Till their Rav advised them to look in to the history of their home. The couple that lived there before also suffered from infertility, the couple the lived there before that couple got divorced & another family that lived there lost a child. My friend moved & now has a beautiful family bh.

OP, I wouldn't say an outright no. Maybe discuss it with your Rav.

I'm more inclined to think (and hope!) this rav was using a combination of meshane makom meshane mazal and a placebo effect.

"Bad Juju" of infertility, etc. does not stick with a home.
Back to top

amother
Calendula


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:18 am
tweety1 wrote:
You should just make sure that they're both on the same page. I know of a house in my neighborhood that was being sold for this reason. One spouse sold it without permission from the other. Spouse put on a lien on the property. Buyers were told that both spouse agree to sell the house. Buyers couldn't move in. I don't know the end result.



Yes to this. If one spouse sells but the other doesn’t want to move you’ll have a big issue. Will you kick out a Jewish woman and her kids?
Back to top

amother
NeonGreen


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:19 am
watergirl wrote:
I'm more inclined to think (and hope!) this rav was using a combination of meshane makom meshane mazal and a placebo effect.

"Bad Juju" of infertility, etc. does not stick with a home.


The fact is, that the home has a history of tragedies & bad things happening. The Rva didn't say meshane makom meshane mazal. The Rav said to look in to the history & the people that previously lived in that home.
There's obviously something to it, and I wouldn't take a chance. I wouldn't be so wary if it was just 1 couple that got divorced. But a history of bad happenings, would definitely freak me out.
Back to top

amother
Lightpink


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:19 am
amother Latte wrote:
in my community there actually is a house that is 'cursed'

the original owners, and anyone who bought it after has suffered a crazy freak tzara after buying it.

I dont know if it means anything but you coudlnt pay me to buy that house!!

that being said I would buy a house from a divorced couple..


That's really funny. I actually bought a house like that. Owner after owner had crazy things happen. Eventually BH it stopped with a certain owner and I never had any issues with living there, only bracha.

And then we moved from the "cursed" house to a house that was being sold by a couple divorcing. Again, BH only bracha and good things in the house.
Back to top

amother
Hyssop


 

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 11:23 am
Yes I would & did …. But there is a BUT .
We moved into the house w/ 3 kids & BH happily married .
Couple was divorced at the time of the sale
Ok no issue there
We went on to have years of infertility, even though we already had 3 kids .
Someone suggested that we check the original layout of the house, to make sure no windows or doors were sealed off ( look it up if you don’t know .. according to Rabbi Yehuda Hannasi ) & guess what there were openings that were shut & we had to drill holes .
Don’t rem how soon after , but I got pregnant & then went on to have 2 successful pregnancies after .
So really you never know .
You need original blue prints& to know that any work was done according to Halacha .
Back to top
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Need a business idea / buy a business
by amother
6 Today at 7:43 pm View last post
Where to buy
by amother
4 Today at 2:04 pm View last post
If want to make hot pastrami for shabbos which should I buy?
by amother
13 Yesterday at 10:25 pm View last post
Helium filled balloons - would you buy?
by amother
1 Yesterday at 8:53 pm View last post
Looking to buy Instax camera or the like
by amother
0 Yesterday at 6:22 pm View last post