Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How to do the attic

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 3:24 pm
I live in a typical cookie cutter duplex. We are thinking of finishing our attic and I’d love input on what would be most useful. As well as a designer recommendation.

We are a young family (age ten and under). First boys then girls. I don’t want any of my kids sleeping permanently in the attic. I’d like to have space for guests but we don’t host super often.
How else can we maximize the space?

We rent out our basement and I see that being long term for now although I wish we didn’t feel we had to.

We have a pesach kitchen already.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:01 pm
I don’t live in Lakewood so I don’t know what space you have so far, and what you feel you need.

Personally, I would put a home office/ study up there, a full bath and guest room.
If you have a range of kids ages, you may want a secondary “big kids playroom “ for things like lego etc that can’t go in your regular playroom.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 4:31 pm
Keep in mind that kids grow up!! Faster than you think! Wink
Teens like to have their own space. They like to have friends over.
And then kids get married!
I would make as many bedrooms as you're able to fit plus a full bathroom.
You can use a bedroom as storage,office or playroom/sitting room (2 seater couch and a few bookshelves!) if you don't need it at the moment!
I would love to have a finish attic!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 5:11 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Keep in mind that kids grow up!! Faster than you think! Wink
Teens like to have their own space. They like to have friends over.
And then kids get married!
I would make as many bedrooms as you're able to fit plus a full bathroom.
You can use a bedroom as storage,office or playroom/sitting room (2 seater couch and a few bookshelves!) if you don't need it at the moment!
I would love to have a finish attic!

True!
So maybe I should do a bathroom, small guestroom, and larger room that can be converted from guestroom to teen hangout/gym easily?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Apr 23 2023, 5:56 pm
I know the space
I would do 2 bedrooms
1 with 2 beds and another with a bunk/pull out bed
Full bathroom (for guests to shower bathe young kids)

The middle space could be the sitting/ play area- couch, rug..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:00 am
Bump for more ideas

DVOM

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:10 am
Unconventional idea:

We turned our entire attic into the master suite. At first it was a drop weird to be on our own floor,but we really love it. It's an oasis of cleanliness and calm and quiet.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:21 am
DVOM wrote:
Unconventional idea:

We turned our entire attic into the master suite. At first it was a drop weird to be on our own floor,but we really love it. It's an oasis of cleanliness and calm and quiet.

Dh would love to do that but it scares me. Also when I have a newborn iyH in the future I’d want to be nearby for the first 2 years but not have the baby inside my room

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh would love to do that but it scares me. Also when I have a newborn iyH in the future I’d want to be nearby for the first 2 years but not have the baby inside my room

You can make a baby room. I've seen some. Basically a room size of walk-in closet.
Just a crib, a comfy chair for nursing and a small dresser for baby's clothes.
You can transform it in office space or storage when you don't need it anymore!

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:28 am
amother OP wrote:

How about a master floor (bed and bathroom with a small babyroom on there too? That's what we have and I love it!

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:29 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
You can make a baby room. I've seen some. Basically a room size of walk-in closet.
Just a crib, a comfy chair for nursing and a small dresser for baby's clothes.
You can transform it in office space or storage when you don't need it anymore!

Yes, that is exactly what I meant! Just written clearer ;-)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:35 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
How about a master floor (bed and bathroom with a small babyroom on there too? That's what we have and I love it!

You did the attic this way?

Ok let me honest. Dh would LOVE turning the attic to a master floor. But my concerns:
In case of fire chv I want to be able to grab all the kids. For some reason I think attics are scarier in terms of fire, like fires are maybe more likely to happen there, and I thought maybe if guests only occasionally stay there it’s better than anyone living there full time. For example I’d never let my kids live there full time I’d be way to worried.

That’s really my main concern. Of course as we age (now we are in our low thirties) it may be harder to climb the extra flight of stairs. Already I have knee problems especially when pregnant or postpartum.

I’m also concerned the insulation may not be warm enough for a full time bedroom but I guess we can work on that and figure it out.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 10:10 am
Op, do you know how much of your attic can be done? In duplexes it’s only about 1/3 of the floor … most ppl I know ( about 10 years older than you. So thinking down the line ) have been able to fit 2 bedrooms and a bathroom with additional storage closets/ space. This allows for private guest rooms and or options for your kids when they become teens. If you don’t need it for bedrooms now, you can use them as homework or study rooms for the kids or a private offices yourself/husband and then just refurnish to bedrooms when needed

DVOM

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

Part of the floorplan is a nursery. It's going to become a large walk-in closet or my art studio once my little one grows up a bit, but it's perfect for her right now. It has a crib, a dresser, a small couch and one of my favorite windows in the house.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:42 pm
Definitely plan to add insulation as part of the job. No point in doing all that other work, and having the space be less usable because it's not comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Op, do you know how much of your attic can be done? In duplexes it’s only about 1/3 of the floor … most ppl I know ( about 10 years older than you. So thinking down the line ) have been able to fit 2 bedrooms and a bathroom with additional storage closets/ space. This allows for private guest rooms and or options for your kids when they become teens. If you don’t need it for bedrooms now, you can use them as homework or study rooms for the kids or a private offices yourself/husband and then just refurnish to bedrooms when needed

Right this is what it’s technically able to be- 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and storage.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 7:13 pm
I would tell you to think towards the future and make space for your kids to come after they are married. It will happen sooner than you think and you'll be really glad to have a comfortable space for them.
Make as many bedrooms as you can fit (they shouldn't be to small, you want them to fit kids in their room comfortably).
You may want to do a private bathroom off of each room.

You can make a small sitting area or just use one of the bedrooms for that. I wouldn't waste too much space with open area.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:04 pm
DVOM wrote:
Unconventional idea:

We did this too! It has made a huge impact on my mental health BH. I do consider that at some point it will be too hard and inconvenient for us to walk all the way up here for our bedroom but for now we're really enjoying having our own space. If you're thinking of teenagers, all the more reason to have an oasis. I really appreciate my privacy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:19 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I would tell you to think towards the future and make space for your kids to come after they are married. It will happen sooner than you think and you'll be really glad to have a comfortable space for them.
Make as many bedrooms as you can fit (they shouldn't be to small, you want them to fit kids in their room comfortably).
You may want to do a private bathroom off of each room.

You can make a small sitting area or just use one of the bedrooms for that. I wouldn't waste too much space with open area.

Hoping by that stage to not have to rent out our basement

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 8:20 pm
A point to keep in mind with moving master bedroom/ suite upstairs is much less windows/ sunlight as attic windows tend to be smaller and there are less of them ( unless you cut more in ..)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries