Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Getting a 2.5 year old to stay in his own bed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 2:18 am
My 2.5 son has started waking up in the middle of the night when we are all asleep and he shimies his way in between us. Is there anyway to get him to sleep and stay in his own bed? He is not in a crib anymore...

SG18

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 4:16 am
Close his door.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:43 am
We introduced an ok to wake clock with a bribe at that point for this

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:24 am
My son used to do this. I honestly didn't see an end in sight. I couldn't imagine him ever spending a whole night in his own bed.
He's now 18 and I promise you it doesn't continue forever - can't get him to move out his own bed in the mornings.
You have my sympathies. This too shall pass!

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:28 am
Same boat. Most nights we transfer her once she is asleep and close our door. They just want human connection. 2/4 kids did this.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:41 am
My same age son does the same thing. We're planning to just pick a week and carry him back every time he comes until he gets it.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:09 am
We have same thing and we go to his bed every time he comes and lay there til he falls asleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:25 am
Is it mean to just lock the door?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:28 am
SG18 wrote:
Close his door.

He knows how to open it! Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:29 am
amother Bergamot wrote:

What is that?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:29 am
It's not mean but my kid would say "open the door ma" repeatedly in this adorable tone until I do. So either you need to take child to bathroom if they are trained and bring back to bed. Or my husband would raise his voice telling him to go back to his bed. He is 3.2 now and bH, it got much much better!!

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
What is that?

Kids Ok to Wake Clock for Kids - Toddler Sleep Training Clock, Night Light & Alarm Clock https://a.co/d/7bw90g2.

It's red overnight till the time you set it for. If he stays in bed while it's red he gets a treat in the morning. We started with 7-5, and slowly moved mornings later once overnight was good.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 10:01 am
You can put a baby gate by his door. Or put him back in a crib.... but what I found works best, is carry them back right when they come to your bed. Be consistent for at least a week, even if it's exhausting and hard.

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 10:28 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Kids Ok to Wake Clock for Kids - Toddler Sleep Training Clock, Night Light & Alarm Clock https://a.co/d/7bw90g2.

It's red overnight till the time you set it for. If he stays in bed while it's red he gets a treat in the morning. We started with 7-5, and slowly moved mornings later once overnight was good.

I have this one and it's been amazing bh. https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Al.....1ZQ==
We had a chart alongside it but honestly dc was delighted with the doggy clock that it made it so much more exciting.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 10:53 am
Joe Frost super nanny stay in bed technique.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 11:32 am
amother Bergamot wrote:

Same. We introduced this, practiced during the day (dd thought it was great fun to act it out) and used prizes as a reward.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 11:44 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

What is that?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 11:53 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I don't know this exact method, but her methods are generally very harsh/borderline abusive because she mostly deals only with really dysfunctional families that need major help. I wouldn't use her methods in a regular situation for a child that does something age appropriate.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is that?

Check out on youtube.
She also has written numerous books and had TV shows both in the UK and they US.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:14 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
I don't know this exact method, but her methods are generally very harsh/borderline abusive because she mostly deals only with really dysfunctional families that need major help. I wouldn't use her methods in a regular situation for a child that does something age appropriate.

Her stay in bed technique isn't harsh nor is it borderline or abusive. What's harsh/borderline/abusive to keep returning your child to his bed until he understands that boundaries are boundaries?
There is no badmouthing threatening or G-d forbid any physical punishment in her techniques.
She is totally against physical punishment.
Her techniques are written for NORMAL families.
The TV shows obviously shows many families who really have lost control over their kids and they have little to not idea how to deal with things.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics