Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Older toddler imitating younger one

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 1:29 pm
I have 2 boys fairly close in age. My younger one is at the stage where he's really getting into trouble. Climbing and standing on furniture, dumping buckets of toys, crumbling up food and throwing it instead of eating it, etc. I try to react level headed to him because he's really just out of the baby stage and doesn't fully understand right from wrong yet. The problem is, my almost 3yo who does know the rules will then copy him. I feel like it's bad chinuch for him to gwt punished more severe for what he saw his brother just get a " no no" for but I can't keep calm at a 3 yo climbing on top of the dining room table just to get my reaction. What's the right way to handle this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:01 pm
Bump

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:05 pm
Punishment is not a great chinuch strategy in general anyways. Hold limits and show empathy with both of them. They both are doing the best they can. Even if you don't always understand, there are always reasons behind their behavior.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:07 pm
Please don't punish him! It is very age appropriate to copy. He'll grow out of it ih. You should be the same firm/not firm with both of them.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:27 pm
They're both babies. We just think the older one is "supposed" to know better because they're older. Totally normal for him to climb on the table to get your reaction if his cute younger brother is doing it too. React the same to both, ie no drama and firm limit. And don't say "you're old enough to know better" because that's not true or fair.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:31 pm
Get used to it. My older son copies my younger one all the time. I just correct and redirect.

Btw if you think he’s climbing onto a table to get a reaction, why would you reward him with a reaction? Just take him down and throw him a ball.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics