Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS: Photos

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:17 am
Some people have asked me to post pics from my new camera so here they are. Smile I really recommend it as a take-along camera. The best thing I found in my research after the G9 Smile (which was out of budget).

Was anyone in the 18th ave park when it got flooded from the sprinklers (besides funny50)?

Gotta love the shmutzy face! LOL

Here you can see how the background gets blurred at high zoom (opening aperture does nothing much for me, but the zoom is great):

These might just be my favorite pictures of all time! LOL

I had to make this one b&w because close to twilight the colors get washed out. That was one of the cons of this camera that I read about- that the colors aren't saturated enough sometimes. I tried to saturate it on PaintShop but it didn't come out nicely.

Indoor photo of a friend's baby. Okay, so it's by a window... but it still takes pretty good indoor pics. The only thing is that it raises the ISO a lot indoors and creates lots of noise. But you can easily remedy that by going to the manual settings, choosing a lower ISO and compensating for it by lightening the pic in other ways.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:25 am
beautiful pics!!!!!! do u like that it blurs the backround? I find it kewl but I can imagine that sometimes u want the backround too.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:28 am
It doesn't blur it by itself. Smile You have to set it up for it to be blurred. And it doesn't always work, either. Need the right combination of circumstances and camera settings.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:30 am
oh! lol! so u really have to know what your doing and fast so u dont lose the moment!

yikes!

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 1:32 am
GAMZu, WOW!!! KAH KAH! lotsa nachas! love da pics! love da kids!

catonmylap

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:22 am
amazing pictures!!!

It makes me really want to get one of those cameras!

I have an old canon powershot now. It seems convincing that a new one would take much better pics and give me more video capacity!

greentiger

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 4:55 am
I love your pics gamzu!!

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:15 am
catonmylap wrote:
amazing pictures!!!

It makes me really want to get one of those cameras!

I have an old canon powershot now. It seems convincing that a new one would take much better pics and give me more video capacity!
same here

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:45 am
Quote:
It seems convincing that a new one would take much better pics

Well, I only posted the best ones Wink
It's not only the camera, but what YOU do with it. I spent a lot of time with my old camera experimenting with settings and learning which are good for what, and also reading up on photo tips.

Of course, this camera has many more capabilities and features than my old one, which makes it SO much easier to get good shots.

What I find important is Image Stabilization, high zoom (over 5x) and some sort of manual mode where you can change settings because often "Auto" doesn't give you the best shots.

Then, of course it helps that most of my photos are outside. Smile I only take inside when something special is happening, like a milestone, or a mess the kids made LOL or whatever.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 5:24 am
I've got only 3.2 megapixels now and only 30 second long videos.

I saw this today on dealnews if anyone is also tempted to buy one-

$205 + free shipping
Canon PowerShot SX100 IS 8MP 10x Zoom Digital Camera
Dell Home again offers the Canon PowerShot SX100 IS 8-Megapixel Digital Camera in Silver (pictured) or Black for $204.99 with free shipping. That matches our mention from last month for the lowest total price we could find by $3. Sales tax is added where applicable. Features include 10x optical zoom, 2.5" LCD, optical image stabilization, 16MB Secure Digital card, and more.

dealnews

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:49 am
Sounds good! Smile

The megapixels aren't what makes the picture good or bad. I used 4.something MP in the old camera (out of 5) and I use 5 in this one.
The 30 second limit on videos is annoying, I must agree.

EZ Does It

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 11:01 am
I have this camera, but I really don't know much about the manual settings. My outdoor pictures are great, but indoor picutures have a lot of noise. Where can I learn more about using the manual settings? You seem to know quite a lot.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 11:22 am
Indoor pics with a flash won't make noise. In low light, the ISO is raised so that is what creates noise. (ISO is like the numbers on film- 100, 100, 400...)

You can learn about the manual settings from the instruction booklet. To learn WHEN and WHY to use certain settings, you have to look up mini tutorials online. And practice, play around, learn from trial and error.
I do know some things, but not nearly all! I still keep changing settings and taking more and more pics of the same situation to see what comes out.

For the noise, you can switch to manual mode. Choose a low ISO (up to 200) instead of auto. Then you can raise the exposure compensation (the +/- button) to allow more light in. Or change the shutter speed to slower (but be aware the slower the shutter speed, the more chance of blur.)

On manual mode you can also lower the intensity of the flash so you wouldn't have the glare.

Someone posted this link before- it's a good forum to look around and learn tips.
http://www.stevesforums.com/fo.....id=78

Quiet1

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 3:14 pm
I have a canon sd750, and it takes forever to take a photo. Any ideas? I have to hold the bottom for what seems like a minute, and I always ruin the shot. (someone moves etc)

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 9:53 pm
It usually happens in low light, when the camera is holding the shutter open longer to let more light in. Can you adjust the shutter speed?

I think you should post your question as a separate topic so others will see it and you'll get more replies. Smile

mugsisme

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 1:22 pm
Gamzu, what fantastic pictures you have taken! I really love them. You certainly have done great stuff with your camera.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art