Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Only one symptom
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 12:56 pm
if ds has urge to use the bathroom for number 2 every time after eating but no stomach ache or diarrhea (maybe loose pale coloured stools - but could be cos making himself go every time after eating)

could just this one symptom be crohns or ibs?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:13 pm
Pale colored stool indicates insufficienct bile which is a liver issue.
It's not normal to have a bowel movement after every meal. He should see a gi to figure out why it's happening. It can be many things.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:14 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Pale colored stool indicates insufficienct bile which is a liver issue.
It's not normal to have a bowel movement after every meal. He should see a gi to figure out why it's happening. It can be many things.

been to top one. said its nothing. as long as not running in the night it means nothing.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 1:56 pm
Definitely doesn't hurt to get it checked out. How many times a day is he using the bathroom? I completely disagree with your doctor, my dd was using the bathroom frequently without waking at night to go (she did have other symptoms though) and has crohns. There are other reasons that a kid would be using the bathroom frequently amd I would absolutely check it out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Definitely doesn't hurt to get it checked out. How many times a day is he using the bathroom? I completely disagree with your doctor, my dd was using the bathroom frequently without waking at night to go (she did have other symptoms though) and has crohns. There are other reasons that a kid would be using the bathroom frequently amd I would absolutely check it out.

what were the other symptoms?

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
what were the other symptoms?

Pain, diarrhea, and she wasn't growing well.
Are these new bowel patterns for your kid? Because if there's been a change I would definitely keep an eye for other symptoms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
Pain, diarrhea, and she wasn't growing well.
Are these new bowel patterns for your kid? Because if there's been a change I would definitely keep an eye for other symptoms.

it started after a stomach bug.

what pain did she have and did she always have diarrhea?
was it out of the blue?

what was she diagnosed with? crohns?

did stool test at the time but it was negatice.
all bloodwork also fine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:43 pm
if I want to redo testing like stool test etc.

I am based in london

gp wont give it to me again, is the best place to go private to eg dr horowitz?

after that I can show a gastro the results- I imagine gastro will want up to date tests.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
it started after a stomach bug.

what pain did she have and did she always have diarrhea?
was it out of the blue?

what was she diagnosed with? crohns?

did stool test at the time but it was negatice.
all bloodwork also fine.

The fact that the symptoms were precipitated by a stomach bug would make me think that maybe the virus (or whatever it was) changed the environment of your child's gut. My dd has crohns but it was a gradual onset with slowly worsening symptoms amd no precipitating event (there usually isn't any). I would sooner look into parasites as a cause or eating foods with prebiotic to balance out the gut environment.

penguin

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:57 pm
I would give probiotics, perhaps the gut needs a reset. But you need a recommendation for which one & how much for a child.

Just One

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
been to top one. said its nothing. as long as not running in the night it means nothing.

If you've been to a good GI who did a general workup and gave you the all clear there's no need to worry. We all have different colons that move stool at different rates. The urge to defecate is triggered differently in everyone, including for some by having a fresh meal enter the GI tract.

Most importantly, is it affecting his quality of life? Otherwise this symptom in and of itself is not a cause for concern.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:44 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
The fact that the symptoms were precipitated by a stomach bug would make me think that maybe the virus (or whatever it was) changed the environment of your child's gut. My dd has crohns but it was a gradual onset with slowly worsening symptoms amd no precipitating event (there usually isn't any). I would sooner look into parasites as a cause or eating foods with prebiotic to balance out the gut environment.

thanks so much for the reassurance.

already treated parasites and never complained of worms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:45 pm
Just One wrote:
If you've been to a good GI who did a general workup and gave you the all clear there's no need to worry. We all have different colons that move stool at different rates. The urge to defecate is triggered differently in everyone, including for some by having a fresh meal enter the GI tract.

Most importantly, is it affecting his quality of life? Otherwise this symptom in and of itself is not a cause for concern.

you have no idea how reassuring this is.

its not effecting quality of life at all. just this constant trip to bathroom drives me nuts. always in the bathroom after meals and I dont have many bathrooms...gets on everyones nerves. just want issue resolved already.

I would want to redo the stool tests but I dont know where to go private and who would do thorough testing.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:47 pm
Sorry if TMI, but it's normal for me to have a few bowel movements a day.

Just One

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
you have no idea how reassuring this is.

I would want to redo the stool tests but I dont know where to go private and who would do thorough testing.

What do you hope to gain by redoing the stool test? Have the symptoms changed since the last time the test was taken?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:51 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Sorry if TMI, but it's normal for me to have a few bowel movements a day.

yes. but child is stimulating bowels to pass stool cos feels urge straight after eating.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
yes. but child is stimulating bowels to pass stool cos feels urge straight after eating.

That's generally how it works for me too. Depending how much I eat.

Just One

I am in the field. People's bowel habits vary widely. In general there's no need to worry except:
A) you're having alarming symptoms ie bloody stools, sudden weight loss, symptoms of malnutrition, severe diarrhea etc
B) symptoms are affecting quality of life ie causing pain, anxiety, social seclusion etc

amother
OP

Just One wrote:
What do you hope to gain by redoing the stool test? Have the symptoms changed since the last time the test was taken?

I dont know why I feel it wasnt tested properly.

Just One

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dont know why I feel it wasnt tested properly.

An autoimmune condition like Crohns or Colitis would cause elevated inflammatory markers in stool as well as blood work. You say both came back ok. How old is child?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics