Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toys and activities for a 13 month old

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 6:58 pm
I need to get my daughter toys that she can play with herself but I have no idea where to start.
She has big legos but she doesnt know how to put them together yet so the only way she plays with them is if I put them together and she pulls them apart but that lasts 60 seconds and then she's done.
She likes looking at picture books but after flipping 2 pages she eats the paper.
I got her a blow up ball pit with little plastic balls, I thought she would like it but she didnt like it at all.
The only "outside" we have is the hot dirty sidewalk which is full of dirt and glass so I cant do any outdoor water activities with her or any outdoor activities at all and there is no park close enough.

Any ideas?

PS. I'm 9 months pregnant

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 7:11 pm
Little tykes bike that is for a one year old. She can push it and ride on it.
A doll and doll carriage with a fake bottle she can pretend to feed. Kids love wheel around the carriages.
Wooden small building blocks
Crayons and paper
Shape sorter
Books
3 piece shape puzzle with knobs

rowo

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 11:53 pm
I have a baby around the same age as you and I find that if I give him one toy at a time to play with he concentrates better and actually plays with it. as opposed to just plonking him down with a pile of toys, which he just ends up throwing around the house.
I have a shelf in my kitchen that has baking things on it, bowls, measuring cups, spoons etc, that he loves to stand at and play with.
as was mentioned just plain wooden blocks, and some stacking cups are also really good.
my son also loves to put things in and out of boxes and containers.
he's the happiest kid with a few boxes with lids that he can open and close and a few little cars or blocks or whatever he can find. it's nothing fancy but it keeps him occupied for a while. just be prepared to find little things hidden all over your house. Smile
it's also very educational, figuring out what objects fit inside which box etc.
one last thing - one cute toy that I did buy recently was a wooden shabbos set, with candles, challah, kiddush cup etc. he LOVES shabbos candles so he is very happy to have some of his own that he can actually touch. but it depends on what sort of things your daughter likes.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 12:12 am
We got Nati a ball a few weeks ago and within hours it was his favorite toy. By next morning he was saying "buh" and when told to get the ball, would go right for it.

We don't have a shady spot to set up the kiddie pool so often I'll fill the tub with a couple inches of water and let him play in the tub.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics