Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Or Shraga

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:23 pm
Can anyone help me get a picture of what kind of school this is? What kind of parent body? Would a heimish/yeshivish family fit in? I know the Brooklyn school is a lot more heimish, referring to the lakewood school.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:28 pm
I send. I love it.
Not heimish at all. Yeshivish.

keym

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:38 pm
It's a typical Lakewood yeshivish place. Not extreme in either way.
Lakewood - middle of the road.
Some heimishe families, up-hat, bekishe. Many fathers started in kollel. Some still in kollel, some Rebbeim, many yeshivish balebatish.
I know many families there, very happy

Also very hard to get into

amother
OP

amother Jetblack wrote:
I send. I love it.
Not heimish at all. Yeshivish.

Thank you! Can you please elaborate? What do you love about or shraga? We are heimish yeshivish. Husband wears an up hat. Would my son feel comfortable in this environment? I heard many of the rebbeim are heimish...

amother
Bellflower

Not the same type as the Brooklyn cheder at all. Serious , learning yeshivish crowd, very few heimish. Since it’s newer also has a younger parent body

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:40 pm
keym wrote:
It's a typical Lakewood yeshivish place. Not extreme in either way.
Lakewood - middle of the road.
Some heimishe families, up-hat, bekishe. Many fathers started in kollel. Some still in kollel, some Rebbeim, many yeshivish balebatish.
I know many families there, very happy

Also very hard to get into

Thank you! Sounds like "our type" may fit in.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Not the same type as the Brooklyn cheder at all. Serious , learning yeshivish crowd, very few heimish. Since it’s newer also has a younger parent body

Very few heimsh meaning a few boys in the class, or barely any? How about the younger grades?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Can you please elaborate? What do you love about or shraga? We are heimish yeshivish. Husband wears an up hat. Would my son feel comfortable in this environment? I heard many of the rebbeim are heimish...

Yes. Some rebbeim are heimish but they only teach typical Lakewood yeshivish derech ( I have no idea if heimish schools teach differently but if they do don't expect that they will here because a rebbe is heimish.)

Possible that my boys have classmates whose fathers wear an uphat but I have no idea and I don't think they know either. If your hashkafah is yeshivish, you'll fit in, who cares about your hat?
I think one kid in 1 kids class wears a gartal (he is bar mitzvah, so I know).

As the other poster mentioned it is extremely hard to get into due to the popularity bh.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:49 pm
My husband is an alumni from Brooklyn, so I'm assuming we are in. We got a letter telling us to let them know if we have a child. We don't have any connections in any other school, so it would be wonderful if this could work for us.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husband is an alumni from Brooklyn, so I'm assuming we are in. We got a letter telling us to let them know if we have a child. We don't have any connections in any other school, so it would be wonderful if this could work for us.

If you can get in then grab the slot! It's a fantastic school. Very well run. They know and care about each kid.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 2:06 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
If you can get in then grab the slot! It's a fantastic school. Very well run. They know and care about each kid.

I second this Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 2:12 pm
Thanks everyone! A few more questions please:)

What is their stance on technology?

How much do they involve mothers? Are mothers allowed to come down to school? Are they invited to events, pta? I am very involved in my children's chinuch.

How do they deal with bullying situations? Is there supervision at recess? In the hallway?

Thank you!!!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 2:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone! A few more questions please:)

What is their stance on technology?

How much do they involve mothers? Are mothers allowed to come down to school? Are they invited to events, pta? I am very involved in my children's chinuch.

How do they deal with bullying situations? Is there supervision at recess? In the hallway?

Thank you!!!

1) same as everywhere, officially not allowed. You get the same form that every other school gives out but I've never heard anything else about it. We hv smartphones & internet.

2) yes mothers go to pta etc. Younger grades even hv mother involved activities each year. Most rebbeim hv called me as much as my husband.

3) no idea, but personally I find the hanhalla very receptive of any issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:17 pm
I'm very confused after speaking with people in real life. Is or shraga way more yeshivish then lakewood cheder?

amother
Stone

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 7:22 pm
I send to Lakewood cheder. I have friends that send to ohr shraga. I would say they’re similar though cheder has more of a mix.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:44 pm
You do understand that the lkwd cheder is HUGE right? Hard to pin down a type there.

keym

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm very confused after speaking with people in real life. Is or shraga way more yeshivish then lakewood cheder?

They're both mainstream Lakewood Yeshivish.
The cheder is huge, though. 250-280 boys PER GRADE. So each type is very noticeable. The less yeshivish group is quite prominent and the super yeshivish group is also quite prominent.
I would guess that their proportions are the same as Ohr Shraga.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 8:57 pm
Husband is also an alumni. We got the same letter and did not get in.

It’s very yeshivish. Not middle of the road at all. They’re super picky who they take and Rabbi Landau steps out of the acceptances. Nothing to do with the Brooklyn Yehsiva
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries