Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Convince me to buy a Doona
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:09 pm
I hear so much about it and it seems like everyone has it.
What I don't understand is why I should spend $600 on it when I can get something more versatile for much less.
Is it better than other strollers? What age can it be used until?

Side note: I think the overall profile is really ugly.

scruffy

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:13 pm
I personally don't have one but I understand its convenience if you spend a lot of time in and out of the car.

It is not a stroller and does not replace one. It's a carseat with wheels.

balance

Why be convinced? Do your own thing.

amother
Papaya

I love how easy it is to go in and out of the car. You don’t have to run to the trunk to get the base and then connect the car seat, it can also be used without a base which is very good for traveling and taxis. It can be use to about 14 months depending on how big your baby is

singsong

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:14 pm
Why do you feel you have to be convinced to have something just because "everyone has it"? If you don't like how it looks or whatever the reason is just don't get it.

amother
Bottlebrush

It's very convenient when traveling, no need to transfer the baby over from car seat to stroller when baby sleeps.
If you need to get a car seat plus a stroller, you kill two birds in one shot- two uses for one price.
It's compact, taking up little space.

For my petite baby I used it for over a year, for my buster baby, I only used it for four months.

You don't buy it because it's in and everyone has it. You buy it if it seems to be convenient for your needs.

***I bought mine second hand at 1/2 price.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 15 2023, 5:15 pm; edited 4 times in total

amother
Papaya

balance wrote:
Why be convinced? Do your own thing.

But agree with this , do what works for you

bsy

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:16 pm
You don't have to. I didn't. I got a snap n go for under 200. I couldn't justify spending 600 on a car seat. Other ppl will tell you the convenience is worth it. Personally, I manage for a few months without it and saved 400 dollars.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:18 pm
Nope. I think it’s overpriced and ubiquitous. I get a travel system from graco and saved myself a ton of money as well as longer use

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:19 pm
I'm just trying to understand what makes it a must have. Maybe there's something I'm missing and I'll really regret not getting it.

amother
Bluebonnet

I can't convince you because I didn't see the value in it and didn't get it.
I got a lightweight carseat that clicks in and out of a base that stays in the car and used the base of my regular carriage to click it into when I went shopping.
Way cheaper and more convenient for me personally. My regular carriage base has a big roomy basket and big wheels and is so easy to push.

amother
Bluebonnet

It's not a must have. That's a myth.

amother
OP

amother Bluebonnet wrote:
I can't convince you because I didn't see the value in it and didn't get it.
I got a lightweight carseat that clicks in and out of a base that stays in the car and used the base of my regular carriage to click it into when I went shopping.
Way cheaper and more convenient for me personally. My regular carriage base has a big roomy basket and big wheels and is so easy to push.

Which one do you have?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:21 pm
A doona is only more convenient than a snap n go, if one is disabled, or is so so lazy that they can't walk afew extra steps to the trunk. (Though you can keep the frame on the floor under the car seat.)
Otherwise, a snap n go is more convenient as it has a basket to keep stuff. The doona carseat is also very uncomfortable and sweaty for babies. Most people that have it, have it for style & keep their babies there way longer than they should be, because they need to get their money's worth.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm just trying to understand what makes it a must have. Maybe there's something I'm missing and I'll really regret not getting it.

In many communities, the peer pressure to be in style is so strong, that it's embarrassing to not have a doona. Even if they almost never go anywhere by car. They use it as their regular stroller till the baby is a big toddler....

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:28 pm
Empowered Mommy wrote:
It's very convenient when traveling, no need to transfer the baby over from car seat to stroller when baby sleeps.
If you need to get a car seat plus a stroller, you kill two birds in one shot- two uses for one price.
It's compact, taking up little space.

For my petite baby I used it for over a year, for my buster baby, I only used it for four months.

You don't buy it because it's in and everyone has it. You buy it if it seems to be convenient for your needs.

You can also get a snap n go and infanr car seat. Much cheaper and it has a basket

amother
Pear

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:29 pm
It’s honestly peer pressure. My friend who lives in Lakewood and doesn’t have one gets comments all the time and I think people assume she must be poverty stricken. Lol.

I got one because everyone had it so I assumed it was worthwhile but find it so heavy! There’s no good way to hold it when going up and down steps, my fingers kill from it. Taking it in and out of the car is so hard for me, you really need arm muscles.

I’m going to sell it and use a car seat on my regular travel stroller next time around.

I’d recommend that you borrow someone else’s doona or at least try it out (use a weight to mimic the baby’s weight in it) and see how you feel about it. A lot of people do seem to love it so maybe you’d be one of them.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:30 pm
Your DD will never get a shidduch if you don’t have the correct car seats and strollers. You may only be pregnant now, but are you willingly to take that risk?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which one do you have?

I have a Nuna carseat and a Cybex Priam stroller.
The adapters aren't prefect because with the Priam you can officially only use Cybex car seats but I wanted a Nuna for its lightweightness.
Nuna makes strollers that are probably easier compatible.
A snap n go is also good but I liked the big wheels of my Cybex.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 4:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

I’ve tried and failed. It’s too short, too heavy, and too expensive. My trusty Nuna and car seat stroller with a tall handle are waiting for me once again. Reliable as always.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics